SkydiveNFlorida

When you are feeling discouraged and heavily scrutinized.... maybe time for a break!

Anyone else go through this? Ever feel that you're under so much scrutiny that your happy place becomes frusterating to you? Sometimes I wonder if it's time to find a new happy place. I've put so much time, $$ and effort into this sport, but sometimes I feel like it may be making me more frusterated than happy. Maybe it's time to take a break for a while and just jump for currency now and again. I just want to rip my hair out sometimes! I think I may actually understand why some people quit. Maybe not for my exact reasons, but I can see it as a possibility at times.

Maybe i'll go lay on the beach this weekend. [:/]
Angela.

Here is the thing...once you stop trying...things seem to fall nicely into place. Sometimes trying too hard is the worst thing for you. I am speaking from a zen point of view here...please do not confuse this with any safety related topics.

"Be the ball, danny...":)
edited to add/ There are some techniques that you can learn to get yourself "in the zone" or you could get yourself a kickass coach that can teach you the muscle memory, the visualization, the relaxation, and all the other intangible aspects of this sport. Preperation on the ground (more than in just the sport) will help you. Success in this sport comes with time and experience. If it was easy...everyone would be doing it. Everyone goes through their times of frustration and most people will tell you that once they gave up a bit trying and let things happen...it just seems to work for them.

edited again to add. What other sport can you practice 60 seconds at a time??? I cant think of any. You have how many jumps??? OK, take that and multiply that by 1 minute of "practice"...how good do you think a tennis player would be after x minutes of "practice"? You gotta put this into a bit of persepective. Its skydiving that we are talking about here, yeah, it can be dangerous...but this is really cool shit...fun as hell. Why get bent out of shape about something like this. You are putting "yourself" in the way of your future goals. Its skydiving...lighten up, have a good time while you are at it.

Let yourself make mistakes. I encourage my students to make mistakes. we learn by making mistakes. Ever see a baby learn to walk??? they fall down all the time, but if they never got up...they would never learn to walk. It may take 100 times to learn something new, but if we quit at 99 times...who cares??? We gave up. Nothing new was learned. I would venture to say that you did not become perfect at anything that you have ever learned in your life the first time or 100 minutes after you practiced it for that matter. Keep things in perspective and let the learning process happen. Let yourself make mistakes (with a coach for safety reasons)...figure out what is too much and what is not enough...let yourself go...and learn.

I think that I have been watching too many Star Wars movies or something.

ive felt that way a few times over the last few months, one day i was sitting at home and i wanted soooo bad to just say fuck it, and put my rig up for sale.
but i love skydiving, its the other crap that comes with it sometimes that really gets to me.
the way i got past it was to do the one thing that i really love in this sport, and to just focus on that for a while.

for me its flying my canopy, theyres nothing that i love doing more then getting out at 4k all by myself and setting up for a noiice swoop.

if you feel you need time off go for it, remember the sky will always be there for you
:)

You know what, when I stopped trying to learn how to sitfly, I learned how to sitfly...Quit concentrating, go with the flow...WE ARE SKYDIVING!!!! HAVE FUN!!;) Take a weekend off...think...but I know by the end of the weekend, you will be itching for a jump and run out to the DZ...Don't think, just do it...(LoL...bad Nike commercial...:D)

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Yeah...I do. There is an unlimited number of experts telling you what's what and damn it if they don't all say different stuff! What I've ended up doing is to take advice from only the staff at the DZ where I jump. I'm not saying I don't listen to people who are helping me along with a skill but I run it by one usually more of my instructors to confirm what I've been told. It's made all the difference with the who DZ experience. If you can find a small number of people you can trust to mentor you it can make a big difference! I don't know if this helps...but it helped me.

PS. On more then one occassion I've had instructors say things like:
-"Don't listen to that guy, he's giving you dangerous advice"
-"She told you what?!?"

It's good to have people you can trust that know your skill set.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

LISTEN. TAKE A STEP BACK, TAKE A DEEP BREATH, GATHER YOUR THOUGHTS, NOW! THROUGH THEM AWAY. PUT IT ALL BEHIND YOU
TURN THAT FROWN UP SIDE DOWN (BIG SMILE)
TAKE ANOTHER DEEP BREATH. AND GO THROW YOUR SELF OUT OF A PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPLANE!!!

DON'T LET ANYONE OR ANYTHING BRING YOU DOWN SKYDIVERS ARE THE MOST POSITIVE PEOPLE I MET IN MY LIFE.

I am glad I am not alone, sometimes I feel like i'm the only one going through this shit.

I just wrote to myself to get some of things off my chest. It's a little depressing, but it helps sometimes to write how you feel on paper. I feel so stressed. I wish that this sport didn't feel so limiting. I have never been good with rules. Makes me want to buy a base rig and become a night person. Although, i'm sure that's a stressor in itself. Having to sneak around, not get caught. Ugh, will it ever end? !

::
Life can be so frusterating. Stressful. Depressing. Everything is a chore. Every movement made in the name of completing some task. You find something to make you happy. To relieve the stress. A place where you can forget all else and just have fun. Then this new place changes. Becomes yet another stressor. People hold you back and keep you under constant scrutiny. Maddness envelopes you and you feel trapped. You don't want to give up, but how strong can you be? And, why keep adding to your already stressful world? Why? Do you feed on it? Does it define you? Could you be happy and worry free? Is it even possible? Must you fight to even exist? When is it enough? When is it too much? You continue in this world of limitations. Fighting against concrete barriers blocking you on every side. You continue to fight. The more you fight, the closer the walls become. Encasing you. Until the walls rip apart and wrap around you like a straight jacket. All you can do is scream. Your voice becomes faint and you are no longer heard. You stop screaming because you can't hear yourself any longer. You finally become static. Never moving, never speaking. And, so, your being as you once knew it rots away as They intended it to. They have won. Why did you fight? You couldn't be a happy drone, so now you'll be alone.
--

I am glad that you wrote that stuff down...its good to do that and take a step back and look at that stuff.

It sounds like you got some frustrations going on other than skydiving. I have felt the same way, hated everything...I was considered terribly successful in every aspect of life. 200k a year, new convertible mercedes, etc...but I was miserable...once I was able to "stop" and really enjoy the importance of living and not getting all hung up in myself and what I am "supposed" to do in life...thats when I got really successful...at least from my own internal self...I cant wait to wake up in the morning now. Everything comes from within...wether its skydiving or life.

You know that you may want to check out Dr. John DeRosalia's book "Mental Training for Skydiving and Life". I have owned about 4 copies of it because everytime that I lend it out...it never comes back. Its got some really good stuff in there...no matter what you have going on in your life or skydiving career. Its also good bathroom material too.:)
edit,,,My yearly earnings are most likely under the poverty line...but I got a big shit eatin grin on my face all day long!!!

Go to the dz this weekend. Find the person/people that you feel are contributing to this, if in fact it is person/people, and walk right up to them and give them a hug. A real one. Then walk away, manitfest yourself for a hop 'n' pop, pull high, and just sit there for a while, let your hands just hang by your side, and actually appreciate your environment. Let the breeze blow away all the bs. Think of how lucky you are to be one of us, the ones who know what that feeling is like. You could be like 90% of the planet and be totally in the dark about what a beautiful feeling flying really is. Just let yourself experience the moment. Well, that's my two cents, hope part of it helps.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I'll be the other side of the arguement here...

Guess what? There is life outside skydiving. I could'nt believe it either until I'm been on the ground for the last 3 months (minus my week trip to FL). I was shocked to find out that there are things called "movies" and that people go to "bars" for social gatherings and you can use words like "first" and not have to go get a case of beer to feed them. I could'nt believe that people go and see plays and go for trips to muesums and they play outdoors.

Burn out happens. Some people try to fight it and they end up causing more stress and that only amplifies the burnout. Moderation is good some times. Living in a location that you can jump anyday of the week spoils you. Forced time outs of 4-5 months for winter here helps people find focus. Some times that focus is back at skydiving, but many times its not and that too is wonderful.

In a twisted way I like winter/spring burn outs since I can normally pick up used gear for cheap from people wanting to get some money back >:(
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I agree. I remember when she started in Sebastian...what 9 months ago??? For most people 100 plus jumps for their first year is pretty good...never mind 9 or so months. Sometimes is it good to take a break and get things into perspective.

ps. sorry if I got the length of time wrong. it was a guesstimate.

People seem to rage ahead in the sport a lot, pushing to try to get better. It's one of the appeals, there's so many skill levels to climb up to in the sport and when you reach a plateau and look up, there's always another hill to climb.

Wind tunnel camps, coaching, courses on this, courses on that, it feeds that drive and it's a fun thing to take part of. Who doesn't like to tackle a personal challenge now and then?

But it's easy to get caught up in that and forget about the beauty in the sport. I'm sure you've had moments where something took your breath away. Maybe it was looking out over the lake during a sunset, maybe it was witnessing the power in the moment where 2 AFF instructors track off like human missiles from a deploying student. Maybe it was watching someone do a really cool exit. Just stuff you see and experience that makes you pity anyone who'll never know those things.

That's what you should do this weekend if you're stressing. Jump for those moments and not to gain mad skillz or be this perfect wonder jumper.

I agree. I remember when she started in Sebastian...what 9 months ago??? For most people 100 plus jumps for their first year is pretty good...never mind 9 or so months. Sometimes is it good to take a break and get things into perspective.

ps. sorry if I got the length of time wrong. it was a guesstimate.

Good point. Maybe I do need a break. I keep putting in jumps and if I have to ask myself for what, then maybe I don't need to be doing it right now. No problem on the time thing. I started in July. I know it wasn't long ago, but i've really put a lot into it and so I feel I am just not getting as much back sometimes.

thx.
Angela.

No worries...think about all you have accomplished so far!!! Most people in Europe dont get that many jumps in the first 2 years of skydiving...it will come....just let it happen when it happens. Sometimes taking a break is a good thing...sometimes getting another interest in another aspect of the sport can rejuvinate your energies...depends on you. That is something you need to figure out. good luck

Another thing that needs to be said is that some times jumping just is not for everyone. Look at the reasons you are jumping and make sure they are for yourself. I just recently broke up with a girl that really was'nt jumping for herself, she was jumping to belong to something. By jumping she was getting a lot of attention and a boyfriend and once some of those things started to fall apart she realized that she really had no desire to continue jumping. Examine your personal reasons... Sometimes its better to cut your losses if its truely a input no where equals the output situation.

If you do leave now, the sky will always wait on you.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Well at least your not some new AFF type person just trying to get through the AFF program so you can start to enjoy your jumps. I'm only a 5 jump chump but I have noticed one thing about dropzones that I dislike and that is all of the politics involved. It blows my mind that a group of people spend all day jumping out of airplanes only to get so involved with DZ politics as soon as they hit the ground. Seems like all that energy could be put into something more benficial to everyone but as usual thats much easier said than done.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Hi Angela,

I used to aspire to high jump numbers, but not anymore. I'm the inquisitive type, I listen intently and retain most everything. What I've heard from most of the people who are "pushing" themselves, is that in order for it to be good, they have to KEEP pushing themselves. I mean, it's like, the joy has been sucked out of it for some, which makes me sad :(
I know it's beautiful and I know they know it's beautiful but all the pressure, and drama and well frankly the responsibility of it all, and then to push the limits, more, and more and more, because at some point, just jumping out of a plane isn't exciting enough.. you need more...
I don't want that to happen to me, and so now I aspire to stay current, stay involved but jump when the passion moves me. I take alot of grief for it from some, but for those who I respect and who LOVE the experience, they understand and support me fully.
Life is a series of hills and valleys, you will find yourself ontop of the peak again soon.;)

Angela, I was "scrutinized", "criticized", and became very discouraged and frustrated.

I am not the "jump hound" you are, funds and time issues for me. But what I did was make a conscious decision to see if it was me or if it was the environment. I made missteps, I pissed some folk off, but whatever...I wanted to jump for me, not be the national competitor in (name it). I didn't - and don't - want to be involved in the politicking of DZs - I'm there to play in the sky, not be involved in a social circle.

I switched DZs, and did for myself. I did it my way - for my needs, based on me and my circumstances.

And know what? I relaxed. And relaxing made it all better. Sure, I still get the willies - we're jumping from planes for pete's sake - but not the performance anxiety I used to get. And when I go back to the other dz, I am happy, and relaxed - and interestingly, welcomed there with no looking back.

Anyway, that's what worked for me. Maybe just going to another dz - by yourself, for yourself - and playing in the sky will help you to remember, as Mark said, what you do this for, and how amazing this really is.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Ok... last reply to this thread, I promise.

> I have noticed one thing about dropzones that I dislike and that is all of the politics

Bwhahaha. As a student you only see a fraction of the drama that goes on at a DZ. As the Prop Turns... Lets see you have the constant bed hopping (You did'nt lose your Girlfriend, you lost your turn :ph34r:), the constant fighting over money since everyone is below the poverty line that lives on a DZ, the constant backstabing due to personality conflicts, and then the ever infamous "I have to talk all the *insert term for unwanted tandem here*, but he gets all the hot ones!" fighting too. And thats just the staff.

The fun jumpers get to fight over who gets to have the good slots in jumps, who even gets invited on jumps with others, who's stuck getting bumped off full loads, whos canopy gets packed first by the packers and about 1001 other things too.

Politics at a DZ? They don't exist :ph34r:
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Maybe it's different in Canada, I don't know... I've not been to that many dz's either, so I could be talking out my ass here. Anyhow, disclaimer out of the way, this is how I see it....

Do politics exist? yes
Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be

It's the same as in the rest of life. If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours. This doesn't exclude the dz. The whole thing about who's rig gets packed first, if it was really an issue, they'd pack it themselves. I'm sure for some, they are hard to ignore, but really that's not the dz or the sport, that's the individual person, or people in question. Some people need drama in their lives to be happy, other people just need the family that goes along with it, however dysfunctional it may be.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I wish that this sport didn't feel so limiting. I have never been good with rules. Makes me want to buy a base rig ...Then this new place changes. Becomes yet another stressor. People hold you back and keep you under constant scrutiny

I hope you are not referring to people who, maybe while not in the subtlest or friendliest way are actually looking out for your safety and the safety of your fellow skydivers??:|

I agree with the others...appreciate what you have accomplished and the incredible moments you had in such a short time....then take time to find and create some more of those moments, away from the dzs....you can always drive back over for a few fun jumps!