Jumpmunki

are aads becoming mandatory in usa

as above wanting to know if i need to buy one before november ..

just to add a little more info i jump int he uk at the moment and am coming over for 2 weeks in november to florida and wondering if i'll need to get an aad to be able to jump my own kit over there..

The are mandatory at some DZ's, just check with the DZ where you will be headed. . .they can let you know. . .it is up to the individual DZ to make them mandatory or not.
FGF #6
Darcy

I think it should be, you can never know what will hapen in freefall.
Here in Israel it is mandatory, we were the first country that aad's became mandatory by law. If I am not mistaken it is also mandatory in France since Jan 2003.
safe sky with no aad activation

...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return...
blue sky
Asaf

are aads becoming mandatory... I think it should be, you can never know what will hapen in freefall.

If you want a mandatory guarantee of protection from every possible cause of injury or death from skydiving - then you shouldn't be jumping at all.

I just bought a $1200.00 watch that I don't or ever intend to wear?????????

I have a $250 watch I almost never wear because it's so gorgeous, I don't want to break it. Took me 2.5 years to track it down and buy it. I never thought at the time I would fail to wear it, but most of the time I'd rather not know what time it is than risk losing it, breaking it, or having it stolen.

Now, AADs are a bit different because they're life-saving devices, not convenience devices. And if someone went to the trouble of having one and getting a rigger of any repute to install it (meaning it looks like it works), it would seem stupid to not turn it on.

But I agree with SkySlut that there must be some people out there who have one and don't turn it on. Maybe they used to use it but don't want to anymore, and haven't repacked it out yet. Maybe they only use it on "dangerous" jumps. Maybe they use it most times but turn it off when they're doing low hop-and-pops or low-pulls or some other tomfoolery.

And anyone can fail to or be prevented from turning on an AAD if they forget, are flying to jump into a DZ with significantly different altitude and don't know how to or cannot set their AAD up for that, or are taking a ferry that they expect to violate safe AAD riding rules and/or have no intention of jumping out of. These are minor cases but they, too, happen, and would be good explanations of why someone would not turn them on.

And for the record, a Cypres-1 that's 4 years old can be had and 4-year-serviced, including shipping and insurance, for $800. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

yep...I know that it is inconcievable, but there are plenty of people that refuse for multiple reasons to use them. Either they dont trust them...usually the older skydiving crowd. Or you find some of the "viking" type that dont believe in using them. I know people that get free cypres' and refuse to jump with them...believe it or not.

Oh I don't want aad's mandatory...I just want to jump into a net from 13,500'

Now that would be a rush!

Edit to ad: Oh yeah, I promise not to sue...maybe...no, no I won't...but I might. DANG!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Oh I don't want aad's mandatory...I just want to jump into a net from 13,500'

Now that would be a rush!

Edit to ad: Oh yeah, I promise not to sue...maybe...no, no I won't...but I might. DANG!

Yeah, I thought jumping into a huge marshmallow (of appropriate engineering) would be a sweet sport.

But what if the spot is off?

So I'll stick with parachutes.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.