johnny1488

TSA cuts reserve pin

I copied this from the ranch forum. Im sure scott wouldnt mind. This did not happen to me so I have no answers, but I think it speaks for itself. Good Luck

The TSA Cut My Reserve Pin on the Way to WT '04 !!!
Date: 12 Feb 2004
Time: 22:03:52

Comments
Hello Ranch Hands, I am posting this regarding damage that was done to my rig by the TSA. Since it is a little chilly up here and some skydivers may be headed to warmer climates, my desire is to get this information out so that other skydivers may avoid what happened to me. I was on my way to Thailand to participate in World Team '04. On January 20, 2004 I was travelling on Continental Airlines to Tokyo then NorthWest to Bangkok. I checked my rig. I did not carry it on. The rig was in a gear bag which I placed in a suitcase. Upon my arrival in Bangkok I found my bag had a TSA seal on it. When I opened the bag I found the TSA had cut, YES CUT!!!!, the pin on my reserve. I contacted USPA while in Thailand by Email and sent pictures (God Bless our dgital cameras). The Emails were originally sent to Betsy McStay at USPA. Betsy replied and said she sent the info to the TSA and I should hear back shortly. I have not heard anything to date and Betsy has since left USPA. I have contacted Ed Scott at USPA to discuss this further. I will be writing several letters and looking for compensation for the money I had to lay out. Plain and simple, the TSA inspectors did not follow their own procedures. At no time did they attempt to contact me or page me. Instead, they cut my reserve pin. My bag was clearly marked with a luggage tag with my name, baggage tags with my name and flight info, Continental OnePass Elite and Priority Handling tags. It would have been very easy to identify me as the owner of the bag and page me in the terminal or at the gate. After the incident I talked to some people and got some ideas on how this may have been avoided. At the TSA's website: http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1147.xml there is a bulletin with suggestions for travelling with rigs. It would help to follow the suggestions. I personally had my weights packed with the rig, which was probably what triggered the inspection. This still does not let the TSA off the hook for not following their own procedures. It would help to print the bulletin out and put it on top of your rig in a gear bag, if you check it, or carry it with you if you bring your rig on board the plane. Another person I spoke to also puts their travel itenarary on top of the rig with the TSA Bulletin. They always check their rig and have had no problems. The itenarary helps if the bag ever gets lost. AS I said before, my desire is to get this information out so that other skydivers may avoid what happened to me. Thanks, Scott Macario WT '04 - World Record 357 way Sector 4 PS: I found someone with a spare reserve handle and found a rigger to pack the reserve. I was able to make the mass jump and the rest of the event with my own rig. As I was looking for a spare handle in Thailand, Mike Arzillo contacted folks stateside that hadn't left yet and asked them to bring spares. Derreck Thomas and Rusty Vest each brought a replacement handle with them. This worked out well as I needed to replace the one I borrowed. I keep the other as a spare. THANKS MIKE!!!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I just traveled (2/12/04) from PHX to Chicago O'Hare (ORD). I packed my rig in my carry on "roller board". I packed my clothes and hook knife in my gear back along with my weight vest. Rig passed through X-ray at gate entry without a second look or question. Cypres, RSL/Skyhook installed. My gear bag had the lock cut and TSA tag put on. I figure they were looking for the weight vest. Next time I will put weight vest AND rig in roller board and everything else in gear back and checked.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I just traveled (2/12/04) from PHX to Chicago O'Hare (ORD). I packed my rig in my carry on "roller board". I packed my clothes and hook knife in my gear back along with my weight vest. Rig passed through X-ray at gate entry without a second look or question. Cypres, RSL/Skyhook installed. My gear bag had the lock cut and TSA tag put on. I figure they were looking for the weight vest. Next time I will put weight vest AND rig in roller board and everything else in gear back and checked.

Why did you lock the bag?

several airports i've been thru recently will allow you to either leave it locked and hang out by the xray in case they need to open it, or you can leave it unlocked and ask the screener to lock it afterwards...i prefer the first method, but it can take some time depending on how busy they are....

>Next time I will put weight vest AND rig in roller board and everything
> else in gear back and checked.

Another option is what I did. Get a weight belt that uses loose shot, and just don't bring any lead. You can get shot nearly anywhere, and BB's (or even gravel!) works in a pinch if you can't get lead. You also make your luggage ten pounds lighter.

Literally, to keep the zipper closed. It tended to push itself open. As soon as I checked it I thought to myself that would be the last time I'd see that lock. And sure enough. I wanted to ask the gate agent about being paged if it needed to be opened since I got there so early. Nope, nuthin. It's ok. The lock is easily replaceable and I didn't have to worry about my rig. Just, next time, I'll carry both rig and weight vest with me to esplain it.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

several airports i've been thru recently will allow you to either leave it locked and hang out by the xray in case they need to open it, or you can leave it unlocked and ask the screener to lock it afterwards...i prefer the first method, but it can take some time depending on how busy they are....

I don't believe waiting around was one of my joices. Some airports I've seen have the TSA screening right out front. Others have it deep in the back. Goes to show even those of us IN the industry can have snags on things.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Literally, to keep the zipper closed.

I love zip ties for this, and I leave a few inside the bag on top so hopefuly the snoopy TSA personel can figgure out to just re-zip tie it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Woah! You are an airline pilot and you put a lock on your bag?!? That is one sure fire way to piss of TSA. There are signs everywhere that warn about locks on your baggage.

By the way, do those guys still have the right to yank your license if they deem you a security threat?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

[/Quote]several airports i've been thru recently will allow you to either leave it locked and hang out by the xray in case they need to open it, or you can leave it unlocked and ask the screener to lock it afterwards...i prefer the first method, but it can take some time depending on how busy they are...

I did this on my way through LA to New Zealand and followed their procedures exactly ... patiently waiting until I was told I could leave ... Imagine my surprise when I got to New Zealand and found someone had levered my case open and broken all the locks ... When I asked about it I was told that the case had simply opened in the hold as a result of being stacked up ... Pretty amazing considering the case was brand new and the toughest I could find ... It also didn't explain the LEVER MARKS INSIDE THE CASE !!!

Clearly the TSA do not follow their own procedures !!!

They eventually offered me $100 back towards my $400 case ...

This is why I always carry my rig on and politely refuse to fly until my rig accompanies me ... so long as you remain polite and answer all questions in a calm manner ( and have ALL RELEVANT PAPERWORK) then they've always let me take my rig onboard (40+ flights so far) ... It just takes up to two hours occasionally ....

So allow plenty of time and don't rely on the TSA to follow their own procedures !!

James

No problem John I was going to post it here last night but ya beat me to it. Somehow I misplaced my Post-It note with my Username and Password so I had to create a new one.

Some additional info:

In addition to cutting the pin the TSA compressed the pilot chute and wrapped it in tape to keep it compressed. Luckily we did not damage the pilot chute when we removed the tape. Also, the riggers seal was still intact even after they cut the pin.

I have pictures if anyone wants to see them or wants copies for a Safety Day seminar or something. Just Email me at: [email protected]. I tried to upload them but they are too big. I'll try to compress a few and post them here.

Ed Scott at at USPA informs me that he forwarded my info to his contact at the TSA January 27 and then again on February 10. He has also called his contact but has not heard back yet. He told me his contact usually responds pretty quick and contacts the skydiver directly.

My only thought is that one of the pictures I sent to USPA was of me holding the TSA "Notice of Baggage Inspection" card and flashing the "New Jersey State Bird". This may have been accidentally forwarded to the TSA. They may be taking it a little personally. To which I say...deal with it. How do you think I felt when I opened my bag

Regarding sealing bags:
I seal my checked bags with electrical wire ties. They're cheap and easy to use. I bring a bunch of spares for the trip back. I put a lock on a bag once and they cut it off.

O.K. I read a majority of the post but not every word.

The way to avoid them fucking with any of your bags w/o your presence is to force them to scan the bags being checked in plain view. I have done this on travels as of recent.

This is the only way you can be assured that thyey will not screw with your bag.

You have to get to the airport really early. At least two hours but to me it is worth it. It is my stuff.

That really blows though. I am glad you were on a trip with a big staff. Imagine if you were going to a small boogie where things might not be readily available. Then you might not be able to jump or have to rent gear.

TSA has their head stuffed straight up their ASS. There is not standard operating procedure. Until they have that TSA will be all ASSED up. No two TSA staff work in the same manner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Theft is very high among baggage handlers. I was an airport cop for 20 years. I use zipties to secure my luggage. Easy for TSA to get off if they must, at least slows down the thief. (You won't stop the determined ones.)
SmugMug

I flew out of LAX yesterday. We check in with Northwest and then are sent to have our bags run through the machine. TSA asks if we have firearms, etc., we say no but we do have parachutes. She says okay and informs the other guys that there are parachutes coming through and there is a NEW procedure. I was getting a little nervous. She just asked us to step to the side and wait for our stuff to clear. We chatted for a bit and she commented about they weren't suppose to cut anything anymore or unpack it. YEAH!!

Rigs were cleared and no problems. The TSA is being told what to do with parachutes, I just don't think everyone is reading the memo's.

I don't check my helmet cause Northwest destroyed one and I left my audible in. The audible was questioned, I explained what it was he said fine, and sent me on my way.

Just wanted to let ya'll know my experience and they (the TSA) ARE being told.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I"ve read a couple posts on here where the TSA cuts the pin. Why don't they just pull it if they want to open it? Are they too dumb to realize the cable goes in one end and comes out the other end? Or do they have some crazy idea where you could be planning to bomb the plane and parachute out, and won't do it if the pin is cut?

I"ve read a couple posts on here where the TSA cuts the pin. Why don't they just pull it if they want to open it? Are they too dumb to realize the cable goes in one end and comes out the other end? Or do they have some crazy idea where you could be planning to bomb the plane and parachute out, and won't do it if the pin is cut?

Billvon made a good statement about the guys back there with bolt cutters cutting locks off bags and get carried away or maybe they think its some sort of new lock.

Anyway, they have been told not to cut.

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

It is really too bad that people take issues past the way they should be. As this nation must live in a police state, due to the fact that the U.S. had let these terrorist do there things for so many years without a word or warning. In fact the U.S had even trained and gave support for this.
Why? And now why do we do this to our own people who try to live under our own Bill of Rights.

Just my two cents on a issue that burns me when big brother does what they want and call it national Security.. Think of that the next time the US sends military aid to a foreign power.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith