stoneycase

Medical Insurance through your Employer - Funny Story

Hello All,

Thought I would share a funny story that happened today at my office. Little background: I work at a small business in California with lots of young single guys, some fresh out of college. I pretty much fit into all those categories myself.

So HR has been in the market for a new supplemental insurance carrier. HR & Finance go into a meeting today and one of the questions asked by the prospective carrier is open ended, "Tell me about the staff, and the staff's activities".

My buddy is the HR Manager, here was his reply: "Well we have a lot of young single guys on staff. Some drive sports cars and some have motorcycles as primary means of transportation. There are surfers, snowboarders, kayakers, hikers, basketball players, etc." "Oh and we have one guy, he likes to to skydive - you know, jump from planes."

I'm told that the look on the Carrier's face was priceless. The Carrier's response went something like this. "Well we could cover just about all of those activities except for one. If your employee wants to jump from a perfectly good plane on his own time then so be it, but we're not going to insure any part of that."

The meeting ended shortly thereafter. Apparently my HR buddy has been getting a lot of this and he just now decided to tell me. This is the 5th unsuccessful interview.

hahah oh well. I consider my insurance to be two things: My brain, and two handles - one red and one silver.

Blues,

James
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

I bet. I would have given anything to see the faces of everyone in the meeting.

According to HR, the woman who lead the meeting on behalf of the carrier took a decent sized breath before spitting out her response...

That totally pisses me off. As if skydiving is any more dangerous than driving a motorcycle. Or a car for that matter.

A buddy of mine did a research paper in college and statistically it was something like 1 in every 40,000 drivers will die from a car crash; while 1 in every 140,000 skydivers will die from skydiving. I may not be right on accurate with those numbers; however the point to be made was that its so less dangerous than alot of the things we do as regular people every day. But there still is this stigma and prejudice against us. Really ticks me off.

Oh yea, anyone playing basketball these days?? Try driving the lane on any pickup basketball game and tell that's less dangerous than skydiving. B|

PcCoder.net

When you say supplemental insurance, are you talking life, disability, or medical? It shouldn't make any difference for group medical (until the first year's experience comes back, if any). It should DEFINITELY be an outright exclusion on a group life policy, and disability coverage could go either way. My company's group STD and LTD don't exclude skydiving as a covered cause.

As far as life insurance goes, you just need to get your own whole life policy with skydiving as a covered cause. It'll cost more, but at least it'll cover you while participating in your riskiest activity.

Oh, and the numbers you mentioned , pccoder, were off. It's about 1 in every 110,000 skydives, not skydivers. BIG difference. Much riskier than driving.

Kelly

you know what struck me odd??? I was watching Ozzy's first interview since he nearly died on a 4 wheeler and they said that 370 something people die a year in the US on a 4 wheeler. Thought that it was interesting. Personally, I dont like to drive my car faster than I can fly my canopy. Yeah, it sounds weird...you should see the look on my In-Laws faces when I say that. They dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.:)

yeah, I got the chance to hang out and drink some beers and eat Hershey Kisses with them while they were on tour in Hershey Pennsylvania...weird combo...

Cinderella was also there...things were fun right up until Jeff Labar hijacked the tourbus and started playing crash up derby in the parking lot...but that is a whole different thread...I digress.

Yes, driving is still more dangerous statistically than skydiving.

Do yourself a favor and search the forums for "skydiving safe statistic". There's a lot to read.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Funny Story:)
Sounds like your buddy from HR likes to go to meetings with insurance carriers just for the entertainment value.

Does the insurance carrier provide a copy of their standard policy prior to their sales pitch?

A company with a bunch of young single guy's sounds like a high risk group even without one employee as a jumper. :P

Party On!

R.I.P.

The supplemental insurance was Medical. I had to consult HR again (yes he's here at 5:30pm and so am I) for the answer and what he told me is that most insurance carriers will ask these types of "open ended" questions to try and determine what "they are getting into".

Since I'm only 23, I try not to think about life insurance ;) Maybe when I'm 33. Maybe not.

I think you're half right. I'm pretty sure that after the 2nd or 3rd meeting he realized that talking about the activities of the staff wasn't helping his situation. But he is a wiseass so I'm also assuming he did it for shock value :)

I'm guessing he'll stop doing that now, considering that 5 carriers have either A) turned us down B) quoted high or C) not returned his calls.

This group would be high risk in a McDonalds ballroom. My .02...

I definitely see your point. There certainly is a lot to read about on the subject (here and elsewhere).

I believe that people create a risk factor based primarily on their own individual perceptions and experiences. For example, there is no way in hell I'm driving the lane in a pickup basketball game in Oakland, Calif. However, you might find me hanging upside down, out of the door, of a Cessna 206 at 12K ft. on any given Saturday/Sunday.

Again, just my .02.

I want to respond to my original post in this thread. My point was that skydiving's danger's are way over exagerated in the non-skydiving world compared to other activities. Who gives a flying shit if my EXACT specific example was not dead on accurate. You have to be so perfect in these forums with you information or everyone and their sister wants to let you know how wrong you are. Jeez.

PLEASE, sometime try to convince me now that motorcycle racing is less dangerous. Come on now, I am sure someone has some remark to make about that one. My goodness, let's not get all caught up in the details all the time.

Edited... :)

PcCoder.net

When I started skydiving I called my carrier from work ( BCBS) and their response was " As long as you can get to the hospital, we'lll cover the expenses". Of course they were stifiling a chuckle when they said this.

I now have this great image of a battered and bleeding skydiver clutching one of his own limbs and dragging a destroyed canopy, shrugging off all help as he desperatly trys to take the last few steps into the ER on his own shouting "I gotta get to the hospital on my own!"

Your HR guy needs to learn to STFU.

Hello All,

Thought I would share a funny story that happened today at my office. Little background: I work at a small business in California with lots of young single guys, some fresh out of college. I pretty much fit into all those categories myself.

So HR has been in the market for a new supplemental insurance carrier. HR & Finance go into a meeting today and one of the questions asked by the prospective carrier is open ended, "Tell me about the staff, and the staff's activities".

My buddy is the HR Manager, here was his reply: "Well we have a lot of young single guys on staff. Some drive sports cars and some have motorcycles as primary means of transportation. There are surfers, snowboarders, kayakers, hikers, basketball players, etc." "Oh and we have one guy, he likes to to skydive - you know, jump from planes."

I'm told that the look on the Carrier's face was priceless. The Carrier's response went something like this. "Well we could cover just about all of those activities except for one. If your employee wants to jump from a perfectly good plane on his own time then so be it, but we're not going to insure any part of that."

The meeting ended shortly thereafter. Apparently my HR buddy has been getting a lot of this and he just now decided to tell me. This is the 5th unsuccessful interview.

hahah oh well. I consider my insurance to be two things: My brain, and two handles - one red and one silver.

Blues,

James

I've never had a health insurance carrier question it, but so long as it isn't obvious, I wouldn't mention how I broke my leg if it ever came up...

Accidental Death and Dismemberment, and supplemental policies like those, always ecluded a litst of hobbies from what I've seen, including skydiving, motor vehicle racing, etc...

Life Insurance, I have had trouble getting. I have two policies right now, both of which cover my skydiving, and both of which I pay a rider for skydiving. Being a married man, father of two, and a medium sized business owner, I have to carry life insurance. It's expensive, but the peace of mind is worth it. Being worth more to my wife dead than alive is a whole nother issue though. I try to keep her away from my rigger.

Ganja

... Who gives a flying shit if my EXACT specific example was not dead on accurate. ... PLEASE, sometime try to convince me now that motorcycle racing is less dangerous.

Credibility is in the details. I don't know if motorcycle racing is more or less dangerous than skydiving but the insurance companies do. They don't base their rates on exagertions. They base them on statistical facts. Believe me they want your money and they don't want to pay any out so if the odds are in favor of paying out they will either jack up the rates or deny coverage.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I don't know if motorcycle racing is more or less dangerous than skydiving but the insurance companies do.

Well...maybe not exactly.

I think the actuaries try to assess monetary risk, rather than danger levels. Part of that assessment includes a consideration of uncertainty. The less infomation is available, the higher the risk is considered to be, particularly when the actuary is looking at an activity that seems to them, prima facie, to entail some danger.
It could be that there's just lots more data on motorcycle racing -- more people doing it, more people telling their insurance companies they're doing it, more insurance policy applications asking about it, more people asking to be covered for it, etc.

Compounding the uncertainty problem is the actuary's familiarity with the activity. Some insurance companies figure it out better than others. This is not suprising, since wer'e talking about a fairly small community. How many active skydivers are there? It may be that some companies have bigger fish to fry -- i.e. the cost of the research and implementation isn't judged to be worth the potential gains, given the size of the market.

I started skydiving after procuring my current life insurance policy. At some point, I decided to tell them I was skydiving, and that I wanted my policy to cover me for that. They asked some suprisingly pertinent questions (e.g. what license level I had, how many jumps I had, how often I jumped) and then said, "fine, you're covered" -- no premium increase or anything. Somebody there had done their homework.