AlphaMale

Big Boy Wants to Jump : HELP HIM JUMP

Ok everyone Check it out. I'm a big guy 320 Pounds. I want to Jump. Everyone is telling me that for my first time I have to go tandem. I have heard that if you take a 4 hour class or something you can jump by yourself and overcome the weight limit problem. I need to know how to make this happen. I has been eating me up I want to jump.
Rico
e-mail me at [email protected] with any ideas.

When Does a 45 Second Free Fall Stop Feeling like 3 seconds?

Understand that the problem you are running into is not a policy issue of that certain DZ - Most Reserve Canopies & Containers are certified to certain weight limitations. The people who I have met in your weight range have had to really jump through hoops to get into the air, often times requiring them to buy their own equipment (retired Military HALO rigs or custom Sport Rigs) for their first jumps. It is not uncommon to see a large jumper jumping a modified tandem rig.

I know that JumpShack can make sport canopies and a Sport Container for your weight, but then you have to ask yourself how far are you willing to go?
=========Shaun ==========

Check out this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=645279#645279

There's a regular poster on here called Aubrey who has just been through what you're looking at and posted updates on how he was doing.

Its not been clear sailing for him and he's had some obsticles to overcome but he's jumping fine now. Maybe PM him and ask him about it or just go through some of his old posts - the whole story is mapped out there by someone who is only 6 months ahead of you in the chain.

No, No, No. . .what he is saying is you probably MUST buy your own rig. . .and you will probably have to do AFF rather than a tandem. No tandem rig today is certified for your weight plus the weight of your Jumpmaster.

At least that is what I got out of that explanation. . .

There is a user on this board who jumped through hoops to be able to jump. . .atsaubrey. . .PM him and ask him questions. . .he may be able to help you.
FGF #6
Darcy

Also, more people would be willing to help you if you fill out your profile. . .People like to know it is a real person they are talking to. . .just thought I would point that out. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

First Of all Thank you guys so much for helping me here. I am e-mailed atsaubrey and we will see where that goes. MY DZ will be out of the phoenix area somewhere. If anyone has any experience or anything over here let me know. If I don't get it done at my current weight I am expecint to be down to 260lb in about 6 months. I will keep on checking. My Profile is filled out now sorry about That. I am a real person!! :)
Rico

Hi:
There are several problems you are going to face being as heavy as you are in skydiving. First as stated above you are going to have to buy your own gear in order to skydive. I believe most all standard skydiving gear is rated at 250 lbs. So you will need a special rig in order to skydive and will probably be somewhere in the area of $7000 for gear. The next problem is your going to fall very very fast. This will make it difficult for instructor to fly with you, so on top of buying your own rig you are going to need a special jumpsuit and even then instructors are going to have trouble keeping up with you. Besides all of that there comes the physical fitness aspect of skydiving. It is quite a liability issue for any DZ to take up students that are far from physically fit.
Kirk

I like the honesty.
I Understand what you are saying.
I guess the question is what is the weight I need to be at to make everything safe and fun. You are talking 7 grand for a rig that will cary me well it will take me just as long to get 7 grand as it would to lose 80 pounds to get into a rig that everyone uses. I guess I gotta ask is there a lot more safety risks being big like I am? I can't weight much less than 250. If I keep my current muscle weight at like 240 I am like 10% Body fat. So I am looking for the ideal thing for me to do. Again thanks for everyone's help.

"Help him jump"??? No, sorry, help yourself.

Here's the deal, and you'll only get the cold hard honest truth here my friend.

There are some people that are not cut out to play professional football, based on size and such. You don't see a person 4'10'' weighing in at 90 lbs making the cut. It just doesn't happen.

At 320 lbs, I would get pissy if you were sitting in the back of the plane with a full load in the dead of summer. Just wouldn't happen. I'd be placing you over the wings every time. And then people would be bitching at me becuase they would be forced to sit on the bench, and rubbin up on you. 320 lbs in a 110 degree plane is NOT FUN, and probably doesn't smell good.

Simple (yet complicated) answer, drop the weight. You obviously have the right attitude, but you need to trim down. If your serious about skydiving, then get serious and start playing the Atkins game. This will be good all around. At 320 flying with friends is going to be such a major pain in the ass. Trying to form up in the door will make those still in the plane sweat bullets. I'm getting scared thinking about it.

You wanna know how to make this happen, just think of that skinny guy that wants to play some serious football. Sitting around doesn't help, he's gotta hit the gym and practice practice practice. YOU need to slim down.

Hard?...YUP
Worthit?...most people here would say yes.

Jeremy, while I agree with you (having lost 150+ lbs myself), there are some extenuating circumstances that you missed in his first paragraph. . .He is really only about 60 to 80 lbs overweight due to his height and muscle mass. Really tall people have trouble because they just weigh more most of the time. . .Yes, he would be better off if he lost some weight - which he is planning on doing, but he will never be 150 to 180 lbs. It would be unhealthy for him to be that small.

Anyway, just MHO. . .I have watched ATSAUBREY jump. He does just fine and the instructors who are jumping with him have absolutely no problem. . .no problems on the plane either, for what it is worth. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Haha. I could probably play Pro Football.
Im 6'2" I weight 320. IM sitting somewhere at 27% bodyfat. I started at like 45% body fat. I hit the gym like 5 times a week. I bench My body weight, Squat 500+ It isn't a matter of Desire It isn't that I am lazy. I don't even mind criticism. Seriously the least I can weigh is 250. Other than that I would have to trim my muscle mass to make any other weight loss. My "Help Him Jump" remark is more about Finding someone with the knowledge or the resources to make it happen. Mostly advice is what I want. But keep the cold hard truth coming I don't mind it. I don't like being ignorant and if someone has info I am willing to listen.
Rico

[At 320 lbs, I would get pissy if you were sitting in the back of the plane with a full load in the dead of summer. Just wouldn't happen. I'd be placing you over the wings every time. And then people would be bitching at me becuase they would be forced to sit on the bench, and rubbin up on you. 320 lbs in a 110 degree plane is NOT FUN, and probably doesn't smell good. ]

Harsh......Is this just another way to discriminate? Seems to me this guy is educated enough to worry about this put down crap.

Yes 320 lbs is like a Tandem pair, but why put down somebody that have a dream? to become one of us and fly, dude you have your mind set to do it I know you will.

Carlos
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html