AlphaMale

Big Boy Wants to Jump : HELP HIM JUMP

How did you loose it?

Well I lost down from 320 to 227 by getting left at the altar, but it's not a diet method I really recommend. OTOH, I've put a lot of weight back on since being down for a knee injury and two transplants so maybe I need to find another fiancee... :)
-Jackmc
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Know where you come from on that. I am not 320 but 270 and still over the limits. I am working out myself just to get closer to the limit. Not saying you need to work out but just that you not alone in the situation.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Hmm.. you must have more muscle mass on you than I do. I'm at 250 now, same height, and I still have a pretty good stomach to lose. :) Do you do much weight training, Dave?

I do have a bit of a spare tire, but my chest is definately larger then my gut by a considerable bit...I usually lift 4 times a week (and I like seeing the olympic bar bend;)).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I teach at a DZ outside Vancouver (Pitt Meadows). We have a rig we call Big Boy #1. It has a 340 sq. ft. main and a 280 sq. ft. reserve. I have taken first jump students as large as 295lbs with it. The qualifiers are that you must be able to fit in the harness, you must be able to climb out of a Cessna 205, and you must be fit. If you think 260lbs is your ideal weight then I don't think we would accept you for training weighing any more than 280lbs. Even then your chances for a leg or ankle injury on a reserve ride would be quite high. Like most sports, skydiving ability decreases with excess weight and increases with overall fitness.
At Canadian DZs we make you do at least one jump from a Cessna before PFF (AFF sort of). Any DZ that does first jump AFF will be very cautious with someone who outweighs both instructors by a great deal

I didn't have time to read the entire 5 pages of this thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not.

Anyhow, Have you thought about getting some good tunnel time in while you're continuing to lose weight and get down to a more jump friendly size.
Just a thought...
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Unfortunately the only tunnel i know that could get anyone his or my size off the net would be the one at Ft. Bragg. Unfortunately I dont think they are gonna let him or i in that one. I tried the one in Perris and it was almost a complete waste of $150, unless laying on the net looking like a idiot is worth it. I do think with my new jumpsuit I could get quality fallrate control in one though.
"GOT LEAD?"

Thanks To Aubrey for doing some leg work for me. Looks like I will be jumping from coolidge AZ. I will let everyone know the jump date. Hey if I like it I mean I am doing to drop the weight anyhow. But the first jump im gonna go in "heavy" I do think if it is an addiction I might wait to drop the weight for
1) Safety reasons
2) Variety and availability of equipment.
3) Safety Reasons ;)

Thanks Aubrey you are the man.

When Does a 45 Second Free Fall Stop Feeling like 3 seconds?

Hi, Alpha!

Way to go on finding a DZ and Aubrey, you are a wonderful person for doing all you've done.

But Alpha, I wanted to mention something very, very important about skydiving...

"Skygod."

What's a skygod, you ask? Someone who thinks, based solely on unproved data, that they are the only one who knows anything about skydiving. A skygod is very easily identified by attitude - one of pure arrogance and ego. They can also be identified by the sneer on their face when they exclude everyone else's opinion but their own, and denegrate others' opinions because they have a different one. Usually, Skygods are good jumpers. Not always; a skygod may only have 100 jumps. But it's the way they 'think" about themselves and about others which gives them away.

Skygodism is an affliction with the symptoms of arrogance, elitism, and fulsome self congratulations. They will generally say they won't jump with you because "you're not safe", they make comments about people's body odor, and I have found that they usually don't know when to stop the BS.

See, the problem with skygods is that they think - mistakenly - that they are the best thing in the air and under canopy. What I've discovered is that those people worthy of my respect - JC Colcalsure, Clint Clawson, Jim Slaton, Luigi whatshisname, Dan BC, Don Ellisor, John LeBlanc, Chris Fiala, Joel Keisel, John Hamilton (just to name a few) are those who treat me as if I were important, as if I counted; my learning how to skydive safely is the only thing they care about. They are real "Sky Gods" - they have the maddest skills around - and yet, they make sure they teach me, instead of commenting upon my sweaty hair or dirty jumpsuit. They don't care about that...they don't even notice it. They go out of their way to come play with me, short, sweaty, and fat....they don't care. They get it.

Alpha, when you are licensed, and when you come out to Elsinore or Perris, I will be waiting to play with you. Between you and Aubrey and I, we would scare all those easily frightened, arrogant skygods into staying on the ground, and we could have the plane all to ourselves. And I betcha we wouldn't stink nearly as much as the skygod attitude does...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I've read most of this thread, although it is kind of long and I might of skimmed over the stuff at end. I found it pretty interesting because it kinda pertains to me also. I've done two jumps (both tandem) and am looking to get my license this summer. The kink is i'm 6'2'' and weigh about 265. Would normal dropzones be able to accomidate me or am I going to have to make alternative plans. I'm loosing weight but I am vegetarian so I can't really go on any super weight loss plans (Atkins is not an option). I consider myself in decent shape. I rock climb, bicycle alot and generally am not a couch potato. Anyone have any opinions. The two dropzones I have in mind are ether skydive new england (before end of may) or Skydive Smokey Mountains. Does anyone know if these two dz could accomidate a student of my weight?

Thanks

Ray
Happy Trails

Do you see it...there it is...tears...streaming tears.

(There are no nose hairs in those tweesers I'm holding...swearrrrrrrrr)

Seems to me you are missing all your chances to keep your fucking mouth shut.

Tweezers is spelled with a Z not an S.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals