AlphaMale

Big Boy Wants to Jump : HELP HIM JUMP

320 lbs in a 110 degree plane is NOT FUN, and probably doesn't smell good.

Hrm...
first off...ever been 320 pounds in a 110 degree plane?
I have been 320+ pounds. My smell was just fine, thank you.
and are you actually saying that you believe that a fat person smells worse than a thin person?? You can't be that naive....(although you could be that prejudice, I suppose)

If you're suggesting that we sell jump tickets now according to how someone smells...then there are a LOT of thin people who would get booted off the plane. (and I can absolutely guarentee that my DZO's plane farts are infinately worse than any fat person's BO you could show me. :S)

This is just ignorance...and in very bad taste....and arrogant. smell is about hygiene..not body size.

Simple (yet complicated) answer, drop the weight.

Yet again...arrogant and ignorant. You have no idea who this guy is...how tall he is...how much muscle he has on him...you know nothing about him except a number.

Feh. Sad...(you, not him)

You obviously have the right attitude, but you need to trim down. If your serious about skydiving, then get serious and start playing the Atkins game.

Oh good..
because Atkins will make him healthy, right? Or smell good?

Oh wait...if he does Atkins then the whole goal should be for him to lose size, regardless of the cost, so that people like yourself will stop spewing distaseful remarks under the guise of being "helpful".

This will be good all around. At 320 flying with friends is going to be such a major pain in the ass. Trying to form up in the door will make those still in the plane sweat bullets. I'm getting scared thinking about it.

Ah..
so the problem really is you.

interesting...that you can have 3 - 200+ pound men climb out and prepare to do a 4-way and you wouldn't think anything of it.
Have one 320 pound man and you're sweating with fear? I'm sorry for you....(and for those around you who have to smell your sweat. Oh wait..you're not fat, so your sweat doesn't smell, right?)

You wanna know how to make this happen, just think of that skinny guy that wants to play some serious football.

Hate to burst your bubble..but skinny guys play football all of the time.
Maybe not professionally...but they play with their buddies all of the time.

this guy probably doesn't want to become a GK or anything like that....
just have fun. imagine that.

Sitting around doesn't help, he's gotta hit the gym and practice practice practice. YOU need to slim down.

Hard?...YUP
Worthit?...most people here would say yes.

Sad.
your prejudice and self-righteous attitude...sad. You know nothing about this guy yet you presume to make this recommendation..
sad.

here's a hint: You're NOT being helpful.

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Beto,
thanks for the Backup. I really apprecate it but I don't need it. Everything people say is worth noting. I don't take offense and I don't really think he meant actual offense more talking about his feelings.
He doesn't know me and therefore has no right to judge me which I'm sure he wasn't doing.
But you are the man beto.

When Does a 45 Second Free Fall Stop Feeling like 3 seconds?

One last thing if you find a place that will let you jump at your current weight make sure the gear that you will be using is rated for that much weight. While I know harnesses are tested at higher weights they have a maximum suspended weight on them that the manufacture has thoroughly tested it to. Suspended weigh it you with all the gear on. Some DZ may exceed the manufacture limits but I would personally not.
Kirk

Rico, here's a great case-in-point. Just a couple of words sends the whiners on a crazy and nutzy godlike speal. Imagine what anything physical could cause. Gawd I wish I had the time in my day to pick apart every little word in every sentence, but I got a life to live and a load to catch...

Beto,
thanks for the Backup. I really apprecate it but I don't need it. Everything people say is worth noting. I don't take offense and I don't really think he meant actual offense more talking about his feelings.
He doesn't know me and therefore has no right to judge me which I'm sure he wasn't doing.
But you are the man beto.

Hi Mr Alpha

You've got a great attitude, and IMO are approaching your particuler situation in a logical manner by gathering information from various sources. It sounds like your well on your way.:)
As you can see the folks on this websight and skydivers in general fit the "bell curve". But you already knew that.:o

Good luck, Jumping in arizona in the summer is a bitch for anyone. The early bird gets the worm.;)

R.I.P.

Oh and 320 lbs on a man vs a woman is impossible to compare. I've taken a 240 lb guy on a tandem before, not a problem...but once I took a 170 lb woman and almost puked. Me not her. When she sat on my lap to tighten the lower laterals she just oozed between my legs, I almost puked all over the plane in discust.

Oh look, I just make a comparison.

Simple (yet complicated) answer, drop the weight.

Yet again...arrogant and ignorant. You have no idea who this guy is...how tall he is...how much muscle he has on him...you know nothing about him except a number.

Feh. Sad...(you, not him)

Well, I guess I'm sad too then.

My recommendation would be to not jump until he's gotten down to 250 pounds. Several reasons - first, equipment is going to be available for him to purchase without having to drop $2000+ more on it than he would if he's 320 pounds. Second, it will be far easier to find a dz that can/will work with him to make it happen if he's 250 pounds than if he's 320 pounds. Third, it will be easier for him to fly with other people once he's off student status if he's 250 pounds than if he's 320 pounds.

And yes this is 100% selfish, but fourth, at 250 pounds him and his rig will take up far less room in the airplane than they will at 320 pounds.

interesting...that you can have 3 - 200+ pound men climb out and prepare to do a 4-way and you wouldn't think anything of it.
Have one 320 pound man and you're sweating with fear? I'm sorry for you....

Ever hear the term "weight and balance" in regard to keeping an airplane flying? What is worrisome isn't the one 320 pound person (more like 350+ with gear) in the door... it's him plus the three 220 pounders (more like 240 pounders with gear) he's going to do a four way with and the 200 pound (220 with gear) camera guy all in the door at the same time that would make me uncomfortable.

Maybe not a problem if they're first out. Could be a problem if there's only a few people left in the plane as they climb out.

Oh and 320 lbs on a man vs a woman is impossible to compare. I've taken a 240 lb guy on a tandem before, not a problem...but once I took a 170 lb woman and almost puked. Me not her. When she sat on my lap to tighten the lower laterals she just oozed between my legs, I almost puked all over the plane in discust.

Oh look, I just make a comparison.

Your general attitude is pretty disgusting.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

while im in no position to make a call as to what is too heavy to jump, i can say that when i did my tandem i was about 60 lbs over a healthy weight limit for my body size. im 5'10 with a larger bone structure, so while it may not have been too visible to my TI or anyone else, i could FEEL it. we slid on our landing, basically landing on our butts, and you have to hold your legs out in front of you. that was a little hard for me! now i know that jumping solo is different, but while skydiving may be less physically strenuous then say..football, i can tell already that being larger or out of shape makes things harder! i would say lose the weight first, at least some of it, just so you can enjoy your experiences more. and of course, be more safe. i know i am! ive lost around 30, 30 more to go, and am now at a point where i feel i can skydive more safely solo. just my .02. dont let anything hold you back, though dude. do whatever it takes to reach your goals. if it takes some time, and some hard work, the end result will be THAT much more satisfying. not only will you be skydiving, you'll be healthy. thats a hell of a deal.

as for that jeremy guy, have some respect and regard for peoples feelings in this forum. no one attacked you, and what you said was totally uncalled for. what right do you have to be so insulting and critical of people you dont know? you could have just as easily gotten your point across without hurting peoples feelings. grow up dude.

mel
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

At 320 lbs, I would get pissy if you were sitting in the back of the plane with a full load in the dead of summer. Just wouldn't happen. I'd be placing you over the wings every time. And then people would be bitching at me becuase they would be forced to sit on the bench, and rubbin up on you. 320 lbs in a 110 degree plane is NOT FUN, and probably doesn't smell good.

Feel free to come out to SoCal and I'll be sure to be on every fucking load your on just so I can piss you off and stink up your gear....ASSHOLE. what a fucking prick.
"GOT LEAD?"

The issue wasn't with him recommending some weight loss before Alpha jumps... it was the attitude, the smell comment, etc.

EXACTLY. . .and that is what got everyone hot under the collar. . .The guy knows he needs to lose weight and wants to. . .it was the rude shit that Jeremy put out there that pissed everyone off. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Rico, here's a great case-in-point. Just a couple of words sends the whiners on a crazy and nutzy godlike speal. Imagine what anything physical could cause. Gawd I wish I had the time in my day to pick apart every little word in every sentence, but I got a life to live and a load to catch...

Jeremy,

Refrain from personal attacks if you want to continue posting to this forum.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Rico,

If you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes to get it. Aubrey went through a lot of shit to go through AFF and has persevered. Most DZs cannot accommodate heavier jumpers because of the equipment limitations, as Aubrey can attest. I say go for it, and tell all the nay sayers to "Fuck Off."

Above all, be safe,

Shark
AFF-I

Rico, please also note the experience level of the posters. The lower jumpers all agree to pat you on the back, yell, "do it", "go for it", "your the best", and do their best to totally disreguard safety.

The more experienced skydivers have seen more, and understand the real skydiving world, so you'll get the more real answers. There are those of us that understand CG (center of gravity) on planes, and have been in stalled and spinning aircraft, understand the more complex nature of skydives with overweight passengers, and in general, just have more experience...period.

So, just make a note, when someone with 50 jumps is giving you advice on skydiving, it may seem like a lot of experience, to you, but the fact is, they barely know enough to keep themselves alive.

Hi Atsaubrey

Congrats on your success in pursuing your goal in skydiving. :)

I was going to make a negative response to jerry baby but I think he likes the attention, negative or positive.

Reminds me of the bullys in high school, jerry baby may be the big man at his DZ, but in the real world he's got a problem.

R.I.P.[email]

Great answer Mark. . .

Alpha (Rico). . .Mark (aka., Shark) is one of those who has lots of experience under his belt. . .besides that he is also a Pilot and understands the "stuff" about balance and aircraft stuff. . .He was my First Jump Course instructor and has been one of my instructors throughout my student status at Skydive Elsinore. . .where ATSAUBREY jumps. . .

Just thought you would like to know. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

The more experienced skydivers have seen more, and understand the real skydiving world, so you'll get the more real answers

Alrighty, well, I've got close to your jump numbers and I have ratings, so I guess I fit in your little grouping, huh? Here's my opinion:

Rico,

You can do it, but I'll have to tell you that you will most likely be very uncomfortable in a rig and it will be very expesive. Most likely you'll have to go the same route that Atsaubery did, buying a surplus HALO rig, or a converted tandem rig for solo jumping. Also, you'll most likely have to pay extra slots since the cost per jumper is based on the number of people a plane can carry. That is based on the plane's useful payload.

You will also need to jump at a DZ with a large turbine, since a 182 would be out of the question due to size and weight.

Bottom line, at your current weight it is something you can do, its just going to be harder and much more expensive.

In my opinion, I would advise you to work on dropping down below 300lbs, which can only help you.

Another thing to think about is your bone structure and muscle tone. As a general rule of thumb, overweight people tend to have weaker ankles, etc. Thus you're opening yourself up to a higher chance of injury.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks Slug

Ya know I haven't been pissed about the skydiving thing for guys like me for a long while....but I will say i'm so fucking pissed right now with Jeremy. How can anyone be such an asshole?? >:( Jeremy I am 320lbs, have 19 jumps (admit I know nothing), will have my A soon, have two rigs rated for my weight, and will continue to jump and cant wait to rub my sweaty, stinking body up against you when i'm on a load with ya. I am absolutley fucking furious here.
"GOT LEAD?"

Hi skybytch

You made a lot of good points except you may have missed one.

How many people make only 1 jump vs hundreds?

100 to 1? Why should a person who hasn't even made their first jump worry about the cost of gear, doing 4 way with video etc etc.

Lets help the guy make his first jump So he can see if he likes it, then you can "help" him get some gear!

R.I.P.

He is only wanting to do one jump. As we all know after that who knows what path they may take with jumping. One maybe enough who knows.

With regards to weight and balance in a plane, that should be left up to the dzo and the pilot. If this was your main concern in the beginning why not have stated it then.

Let the Pilots worry about the weights, being an instructor you should be as positive and motivating to everyone your dzo pays you to instruct. period.

I also don't thing "do it" and "go for it" is bad advice for anyone. And I think people with 50 jumps are more than qualified in saying those statements.

peace bro
jay