tetra316

Coaching license!!!

Yahoo! I finally got my coaching license this weekend. Two full days of class stuff and jumps and now maybe I'll get some of my skydiving paid for. Anyone else have a great weekend?

Conbeerulations!!! I remember long ago when I got my Coach Rating (last October :P), how good it felt. I come from a Singel 182 DZ, and about 10 minutes after finishing my Eval Dive, the DZO give me a student to do his Check Dive out of a B90 King Air - HOW COOL IS THAT!!!

Screw getting your jumps paid for - Coaching and helping other skydivers along their way is a rush in itself!!
=========Shaun ==========

Screw getting your jumps paid for - Coaching and helping other skydivers along their way is a rush in itself!!

I like that attitude. People that get their ratings just to make money really annoy me.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

If I was just interested in making money do you think I would be skydiving:S I got my license because I love sharing the rush of skydiving with others, letting them experience it! Just making a comment that perhaps I might break even on a few jumps now that I can coach.;)

I like that attitude. People that get their ratings just to make money really annoy me.

When I took my Course, my Evaluators SduCoach and another guy would ask the applicants why they wanted to get their ratings. Any answer involving money would result in a serious talking-to. I hear people getting their ratings for this reason all too much....[:/]

I hear no one questioning why it cost so much to get your ratings.
I have a few jumps and would be very interested in putting my experience to good use by teaching people. I don't make very much money so I cannot afford to take the coach or AFF ratings. I sit idley by and watch wealthy 200 jump wonders teach new skydivers only because they can afford to take the courses.

I don't make very much money so I cannot afford to take the coach or AFF ratings. I sit idley by and watch wealthy 200 jump wonders teach new skydivers only because they can afford to take the courses.

By No stretch of the Imagination am I wealthy - I am a piss-poor college kid going from Jump to Jump. Our DZ has funds allocated to jumpers going for instructional ratings.....

I don’t understand why people cannot get instructor ratings and use this as a main job. There are many people who make a living from skydiving is this wrong?

By the way I am not having a go I just really don't understand why people should not be able to make a career out of skydiving if they wished. I know a few who do through tandem, AFF, etc.

FYI No I am not one of these people I have only just started to skydive;)

I have a few jumps and would be very interested in putting my experience to good use by teaching people. I don't make very much money so I cannot afford to take the coach or AFF ratings. I sit idley by and watch wealthy 200 jump wonders teach new skydivers only because they can afford to take the courses.

Well, I don't think there's a need to be condecending about people with low jump numbers trying to get a coach rating to teach. 3 or 4 coach jumps with a coach isn't going to make a student a kick ass skydiver who won't need your experience. I have about 200 jumps and I would kill for an opportunity if someone with your experience was to come up to me and ask me if I wanted to practice something with him. Unfortunately, except for a few experienced guys there aren't that many who are willing to have some "50 jump wonder" spoil their jump. For most low number jumpers it can me quite intimidating to ask someone with a ton of experience to jump with them. If you think you have the experience and want to share it step up. You don't need a coach rating to take on an A license jumper. As for the those "wealthy 200 jump wonders " well atleast some of them are making the effort to be available to introduce students to Skydiving. Next time you are at your DZ walk up to student with a handful of jumps and ask them if they want to learn. I'm sure they'll more than appreciate your gesture and if you are already doing this then why feel bad that you can't get a coach rating. All the coach rating will do is may be get you some free jumps and money. If that's what you are looking for then fine, say so and don't be condecending towards the so called "200 jump wonders," If you don't want to be a coach for the money or the free jumps then I don't think sharing knowledge requires any kind of a rating. All it requires is for you to walk up to a freshly coined jumper and ask him if he wants to jump with you.

Once a month a group of women with a variety of jump numbers, gets together at the local DZ here. I jump with all of them and pay for my own slot even though I have my rating. I do that once a month. The rest of the month if I'm doing a coach jump, then I charge. I can't afford to pay for all my jumps, but I want to give back to the sport.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I understand where you are coming from and I do help and coach younger skydivers.
I'm not sure if you are familier with who I am but my team sponsors an intermediate freefly competition every year to promote freeflying amongst the younger skydivers.
And I am by no means trying to be condescending to the lower jump numbers trying to get thier coach ratings.
The point I was trying to make is that when a student is told to jump with a coach they go in search for the people who can afford these USPA ratings instead of looking for the most qualified.
And I AM working on my coach and AFF rating, for quite some time now, I just can't afford the cost.
And trust me when I say I have seen some people graduate the coaches course that are very questionable in there skills. It makes me wonder.

The point I was trying to make is that when a student is told to jump with a coach they go in search for the people who can afford these USPA ratings instead of looking for the most qualified ... I say I have seen some people graduate the coaches course that are very questionable in there skills. It makes me wonder.

I get your point and I think the issue here is more to do with whether the coach rating in it's current form adds any value to how Skydiving is conducted. Is it actually geared and positioned to serve the purpose it's intended for. In your view what should be the purpose of the coach rating. Is it really required, and if so then how should be it designed or atleast what should change in it ? Will any of those changes defeat the motivation behind having a coach rating as it is right now ?

I thank you for your understanding. I guess it just bothers me that I skydive with these people who are already coaches and I find them to be questionable in thier skills to be coaching. I would be safe to assume that that would be the responsibility of the evaluator who is doing the course.
My question is can you fail a coaches course?
If so does USPA still get thier money?

I don't think it cost that much at all. I only paid $75 for the course plus $55 for the books, which I already had from last year, and four jump tickets. I think that is very reasonable. We also had evaluators from three different drop zones conducting the course. I don't understand why some places are charging upwards of $300 just for the course. Maybe we should also question if the instructors are in it just for the money too?

Yahoo! I finally got my coaching license this weekend. Two full days of class stuff and jumps and now maybe I'll get some of my skydiving paid for. ;) Anyone else have a great weekend?

I jump with neophytes for free.

I'll be damned if I will have anything to do with this particularly bogus bit of rulemaking.

This is a case in point where change is not improvement, and you do not necessarily get what you pay for.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Come again...rulemaking?

If this isn't a troll :o do us a favor and do a foum search on "coach rating" read some of the comments from "the real Kramer" aggie dave etc and then come back and ask the above question again.

Not trying to hurt your fewelings but Mr Winsor IMO say it like it is.

R.I.P.

If you had read my earlier post you would know that getting my rating has NOTHING to do with making money. I love skydiving and love sharing that with others. I took the course because I thought it would be a great way to learn more, and it definitely was. Gives you a different way of looking at things. I've always jumped with people fresh off student status and will always do so, WITHOUT charging them just because I have a rating. If you had paid attention you would have known I was joking about doing it just to get free jumps. Geez can't anyone make a sarcastic comment anymore?

Hey tetra

My comment wasn't about the money, we can all understand a joke. You got the rateing you can do what you want with it.;)

My post was in response to your question about "rule makeing" In the spirit of cooperation I was just trying to save some time by refering you to some of the past posts on the subject in case you weren't joking;)

What we had here was a failure to comunicate.:o

R.I.P.

I jump with neophytes for free.

I'll be damned if I will have anything to do with this particularly bogus bit of rulemaking.

This is a case in point where change is not improvement, and you do not necessarily get what you pay for.

I agree 100% I never paid for a coach jump and I'll be damned if I ever charge any one. This is just a way of dz's sucking the money out of newbies. Shame on the people who charge for this. Thanks to those who don't.