Reginald

Z1 Fogging Up

I have a new Z1 with about 16 jumps on it. It fogged up so bad on my last two jumps, under canopy, that I had a hard time landing. Nothing too serious but not something I’m going to do on every jump. A guy at the DZ said it was because I wiped the anti fog coating off the inside and I needed to replace the lens. I have not wiped the lens off at all so that sounds doubtful. I can open it after the canopy deploys but with gloves it is difficult and I would like to leave it down sometimes under canopy.

My questions are, is this a common problem and what did you do, get a new lens, apply an anti fogging treatment, what?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I have this problem too, if you just crack it open under canopy it will clear the fog and the wind will not dry your eyes out. Practice opening it on the ground with your gloves on and it WILL become easier. (My first jump with it it fogged up and I could not get it open and wound up busting my butt. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Common problem I believe. I, too, crack it after opening. Something I found that makes the Z-1 easier to open when wearing gloves is to use a bit of black tape to make a "lip" on the opening part of the helmet......that will help tremendously by pulling the tape upward while using the other hand to depress the "latch".

It does happen.

However the first thing I do once I have a stable canopy over my head is to lift and flip back the visor. then collapse slider, unstow brakes...etc, etc, etc.....

I had the same trouble when I wore gloves for the first time and opened with line twists. And I could'nt get the visor up immediately. I had condensation from my breath on the inside of the lens.

So flip the Damn Visor :P

I also have a pair of them, yes mine fog up quite badly as well. I bought some of that anti fog spray, it does work but it doesn't stop them from fogging up completely. I saw somebody at my DZ that had drilled some small holes in the frames to let some air in. I bought a second pair of clear sky eyes and tend to use those more nowadays cause the don't fog up as much.

M.J

Mine fogs every time in the cold weather. Only had to land with it closed once though (first and last time i wore those gloves), and luckily had enough visibility to land safely. In the cold weather I crack it open under canopy, in the summer I open it all the way, and I always open it all the way on final. When I first bought it I tried landing with it open and closed and found I could judge my flare better with it open so I just stuck with that.

There's a lot of good Z1 info at http://www.unfeathered.com/thinyoushoul.html. Has good tips to prevent fogging and other stuff.

Also, whenever I think my helmet is going to fog, I carefully breath out of my mouth with my lips on the padding, so I'm blowing almost directly out the vent holes. That helps when I'm in the plane with the helmet closed for a long time (like while my RW group is climbing out).

Dave