herohunter

bad spot six miles away

Ok here's what happened
my instructor had opened the door and gave me the thumbs up,i took one look outside and did not recognise the usual view ,the local beach was just a bit too near for my liking.
however seeing as my instructor,one of the best so i am told,gave me the all clear i just jumped. i couldn't even see the dz in freefall.
landed in a field full of thistles thankfully missing them and got picked up later after having a hard laugh.Was planning to go down to dz real soon but have just been told my girl is expecting,have to sort out my priorities

lesson to learn: even if your instructor gives you the thumbs up - check the spot for yourself & give feedback if it doesn't fit

otoh: glad you didn't get hurt landing out!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

this sounds unusual, but even instructors are human. You should discuss this with the instructor now that it is all over with, if you don't get a good answer, go to the S&TA or DZM/DZO.
Mistakes happen, did everyone else on the load land off as well? Did everyone else make it back?
What kind of jump were you doing? Did you open high or low? Six miles is pretty far, you have to accept some responsibility as well. Hopefully many folks read this and actually look down before exit (I mean really look to see where you are).
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I have seen "troll" mentioned a few times, as well as "hijack". I am not familiar with these terms. If I understand correctly, I am now "hijacking" this thread right?

Sorry then. Just a quick question.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Dude EVERYBODY gets a bad spot here and there, hell, my name is WrongWay because of off-landings. B|

Congratulations on the pitterpatter of little feet on the way!!!! B|B|B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Reminds me of a 10 mile bad spot of mine. I was flying and using a loran to spot. Not my regular DZ, so I wasn't familiar with the landmarks. The JM had a topless tandem with BIG fake ones. I had the loran on the wrong page, and I followed it to the wrong waypoint. Called for the door and the JM looked out and shook his head no. I shook my head yes, he again said no. I looked at my loran and saw my mistake. Now, every time I go down there I'm reminded of my bad spot.

Reminds me of a 10 mile bad spot of mine. I was flying and using a loran to spot. Not my regular DZ, so I wasn't familiar with the landmarks. The JM had a topless tandem with BIG fake ones.

Heh... topless tandem having to hitch a ride back to the DZ... I bet that would be embarassing! :)