loriann13

altitude to pull rip chord

There are proscribed minimum pull altitudes that depend on your rating and the type of jump. I'm sure someone has already quoted them in this thread. These are minimums, only. You pull where you are most comfortable, though if you are pulling high (say, 4000 and up) you should let others on the load know so that exit order can be adjusted accordingly. Me? I generally start my pull sequence around 2500, which usually puts me in the saddle around 1800.

blues,

bob p.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I personally still pull at 5k but will go to 4.5 if needed. I just dont feel comfortable below that. I have been thinking that 4k would be ok but have yet to go that low.

At, one thign us anvils have got to be careful about is "timed" opening altitude advice from lighter people. They often forget that we fall so much faster than them and things like "track for 5 seconds after break off" is going to put us several hundred feet lower than anybody else.

I usually just remind them that I am an anvil and that anything timed is going to put me lower than anybody else. Everyone I've jumped with has always made the neccessary changes without complaint.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Have you worked with anyone on a flat track yet? I've jumped with some big boys and they can all keep up with me in a flat track and none of them are more then 100 feet lower then the group at pull time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Pulled at 5,000 ft through AFF IV, then 4,500 for AFF V through VIII.
I'm planning on getting 5 or 6 jumps this week end, planning on pulling no lower than 4,000.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Have you worked with anyone on a flat track yet? I've jumped with some big boys and they can all keep up with me in a flat track and none of them are more then 100 feet lower then the group at pull time.

Once I hit the track I am fine, but it does take a small bit of time to enter the track and then you come out and wave off and usually in those times I go lower than most evrybody else. Plus I think it's a bit of the anchor effect too. In grips everybody else is slowing me down a bit while I speed them up so when we break they all begin decel while I begin to accelerate.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I've seen the numbers vary from 5,500 ft to 4,000 ft. Is that the official range? Or is there a more specific "official" altitude at which it's recommended you pull the rip chord? The most common I've seen to date is 5,500.

What a mixure of opinions ... here's mine

When you progress through AFF levels you will probably start from 5.5 and then gradually go to 4.5-4K. However, your instructors will probably tell you on every jump when (hiw high) they want you to pull and if you get a clear pull signal at 6.5, you better pull.

When you become a licensed jumper, you will need to follow USPA recomendations for your experience level, however your pull altitudes will vary significantly depending on type of jump, familiarity with particular DZ, spot, and some other conditions.

There is a MINIMUM altitude for every type of license.

Listening to those who say "I always pull at 3.5" isn't a good idea because:

On big ways you often go low (sometimes to 2K) to make sure that you pull in clear airspace

If you wear a camera you better pull higher because you need some extra time to deal with malfunction

If spot is bad and you are last guy out doing solo, you might consider pulling higer to get back to DZ (same rule applies if you jump at unfamiliar DZ), however, if the spot is bad when you are participating on big-way jump, you go low (the organizers will usually tell how high everyone pulls), and land out because pulling low is safer in this case.

For obvious reasons you gotta pull to be open above the hard deck.

Some present "I don't give a shit, I pull at 1.5" attitude and scare those who watch them from the ground, not to mention possibility of two out due to Cypress fire.

The bottom line is think, look for advice from those whose experience and attitude is proven and learn how to stay safe :))

Blue skies

Can anyone suggest the wording of a question like this that may have a specific answer? Including proper terms?

Q: What is the minimum recommended altitude for an expert skydiver to deploy his parachure?

A: 2000' AGL (Above Ground Level).

or

A: The minimum deployment altitude for an expert skydiver.
Q: What is 2000', Alex?

(The term "expert" might cause a skydiver to raise an eyebrow, but it's forgivable (slightly antiquated) use of the term.

Also, there might be other minimums in other countries if that matters to you. Not real sure.

Good luck on it.

Robin
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I have 80 jumps.
started at 3,500 from around 40 jumps
Then i spoke to a few people about their experiences (some very scary indeed) and pull heights. i decided to raise my pull height to 4,500 or 4,000. decided that until Im more experienced/had malfunctions I want that extra reaction time.

plus you get a longer canopy ride, which is always nice:)