pccoder

How much did you spend on skydiving last year?

but the last year was fairly exceptional and involved a lot of traveling.

Same for me, one trip to South Africa, one to Sweden and two to USA - you could say I had a good year. B| I don't really think one should count the travel and accomodation costs as a skydiving related expense, if you weren't skydiving you would still take those holidays anyway.

Will

well let's see. Consider that I did my AFF 1 on October 5th of last year and got my 33 jump on December 28th. That means that I am still in my first year in the sport.

So let's assume I am in year one and include everything I have spent to date (which is 5 months).

$2386 on getting my A lisence

$166.00 on jumps 26-33

$2600 on my used G3 with PD reserve and Cypress

$350 on my Bev Suit

$129 on my Galaxy Alti (used)

$544 on my Havoc and my Neptune

$435 on my Da' Kine Rags freefly suit

$80 on my two pairs of Converse All-stars (bought to jump in)

$1439 on my New Pilot 210

$1000 on my Hornet 230

Money to be spent by end of March

$1600 for new G3 for my new Pilot

$925 for PD Reserve 218

$1200 for Cypress 2 (unless I can get a good deal on used Cypress)

$900 on Wind Tunnel just before the Sebastian boogie.

$XXXXXX dollars on Sabastian boogie:SB|;)

Total in 6 months (includes March)

$13,754 + $XXXXXX

Holy shit! No wonder I have no damn money!:S[:/]

I actually had no idea I spent that much.

Like someone else said, I am also in the next tier. I voted wrong saying between 5 and 10 thousand.

Opps.

Close to 11k :S

My first year, this includes my AFF, Rig, Coach, Misc Gear and jump tickets/tunnel time.

I'm having faint hopes of the cost sliding down a bit... however I'm seeing the desire for more experiences and opportunities.

:D I don't know where it went. Just don't loose sight of what's important! Life is short -- enjoy it while you can!

- About 4000/4500 euro's in jumps, taking 20 euro's as the average price (12.000 ft costs 25 euro's)
- about 800 euro's (gas for my motorcycle, getting to/from the DZ)
- 1100 euro's for a new cypress
- 60 euro's for my gears year-check
- 20 euro's for 6 month repack
- 100 euro's (fabric for freefly suit my mom made meB|)

So roughly 6000 euro's (which would now translate to about 7500 US $$$
Damn that's a lot of money..
Going to try and top that this year though...want to buy a GTI (BM suit), a new rig...going to Sweden and the USA (both for jumping)

Damn I'n gonna be broke...hehe
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

but the last year was fairly exceptional and involved a lot of traveling.

Same for me, one trip to South Africa, one to Sweden and two to USA - you could say I had a good year. B| I don't really think one should count the travel and accomodation costs as a skydiving related expense, if you weren't skydiving you would still take those holidays anyway.

Will

Sounds like you had a great year. My travel, however, was exclusively for skydiving, in support of the training and selection camps for the CRW record. It was a blast going to new DZ's (or ones I haven't been to in a couple of decades).

Didn't buy any new gear as I was planning on hanging it up after the CRW record. I've reconsidered and now plan on jumping with THEM TOADS as long as I am able ...thus, I'm planning on buying new gear this year. :)

Skies,

Michael

Eish! In the 10-15k mark.
From SA, so a trip to the states is included.
Over R80 000 (That's Rands) Owch.
That was over 300 jumps, new Bev Suit.
This year is new gear and going large for nationals and world meet. Should rack up about another R80 000 this year ($12k). The dollar figure does not look that bad relative to the Rand spent. :|

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

I think Ive spent about £4500, which is about $8000...that was on my own gear though, and AFF so not too bad I guess :D Student loans are great!! :ph34r::ph34r:

Bx
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

Like someone else said, I am also in the next tier. I voted wrong saying between 5 and 10 thousand.

Way to vote before you post, MORON. :D Btw, I was the other one who did the same thing. :) Say hi to me at the Seb boogie. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'd say around $15,000-- but I really don't keep track. A budget would just stress me out, and it's not like I'm NOT going to spend the money anyway! B| And this year is shaping up nicely-- just bought a new canopy, 2k helmet, and PC105!! :o

I know the feeling. I started adding things up and was afraid to look at the calculater each time I pressed the + button. Hey don't think of the $, just
think of the good time, great laughs, great people,
the high fives, goofing on one your buddies when he
gets a grass stain on his forehead, the beer, the BBQ's, laughing in the video room from a continuous
funnel. Man it goes on & on and I don't wanna sound like the mastercard commercial but it is without a doubt @#$%ing "priceless.

Blue skies all,

***Don't pet the swetty things

You gotta be sly, and know the double jeopardy rule.

I did 1 jump with a new jump suit, new alti, new helmet, and my first out of a certain plane. That's 4 "beer offenses" for the price of one.

Actually, what you really need to do is start brewing beer! $15-25 for 5 gallons is hard to beat, not to mention it tastes *way* better than most of what's out there to buy.

Heiniken? Blech! :P

Let's see - 135 jumps at 20 a pop - $2,700.00
New jumpsuit - 200 bones- 200.00
Meet entry fees - about 100 I guess 100.00
Rig maintenance - about 200? 200.00

total about 3,200.00 clams

This year should be much better - We're starting out with a trip to Orlando and two hours in the tunnel plus a day or so at Deland and/or Z-Hills

Edit to add - Never thought to factor in food at DZ's, beer, gas to and from DZ's, etc. Probably takes the total over four grand I'm sure.

Easy Does It

I don't think I want to know. Between all the traveling I do and that includes airfare, hotel, car rental, jumps, and food. I'd rather not know.
Heck, you can't take the money with you, so why not spend it here.

As Coaches and Instructors, one "may" have some tax relief as a "Sole Proprietorship."

1. Setup a sole proprietorship checking account.
2. Account for all monies that are spent and income received for jumps (educational jumps where someone pays for your slot is considered income for your sole proprietorship).
3. If at the end of the year, your losses exceed your income, you may deduct those losses of your gross income and receive a refund for an apportionment of those losses.

Some caveats - I do all my own book-keeping and my tax accountant assists me in making sure that I stay within the IRS guidelines. He assists me in maintaining that line of difference between hobby and business.

I deduct:

1. mileage to & fro DZs
2. Fun Jump tickets - as a requirement for currency.
3. Depreciation on gear purchases (if sold, the IRS wants that depreciation back).
3. Meals
4. Packer fees
5. USPA membership
6. Rating fees
7. Professional magazines
8. Rigging fees.
9. Jump Suits.
10. Computers
11. All costs associated with the WFFC Convention.

I claim as income:
1. Instructor payments
2. Coach jumps that are paid for
3. Barter Income.

Best advice is - talk with a good tax accountant prior to going in this direction to see "if" its an opportunity for you and you could survive an audit.

And the good news is - what I pay him annually is also... a tax deduction.

Keith,
Great idea. I'll have to keep all my receipts from WFFC since I do "training" jumps there;)

Most times when I travel, it's for some kind of event and wouldn't feel right writing that off.

I don't do many coach jumps here in Colorado that I charge for. Heck, I don't even jump much here in Colorado.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey