pccoder

How much did you spend on skydiving last year?

Just curious if I am spending too much.... Is that even possible????

Edited... I spent under $5000, but pretty close, and I have still not purchased my own gear, still using rental gear. But I probably spent about $1500 on tunnel time alone. This sport is like heroin. :)

PcCoder.net

I don't think I want to know. Between all the traveling I do and that includes airfare, hotel, car rental, jumps, and food. I'd rather not know.
Heck, you can't take the money with you, so why not spend it here.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Over 5,000 and less than 10,000 . Probably closer to 10,000 but I don't like to think about it. My first year so that includes PFF (like AFF) gear rentals till I bought my own gear (that was a big chunk), a brand new cypres 2 (almost as much as the rig) and a total of 49 jumps . It should be a lot less this year. (thankfully)

My first year ...

Ha! And you'd think that the following years would be cheaper, wouldn't you? :D

They're not.

-
Jim

I know better. Starting the year off with $4k for a rig shot things pretty quick. But hopefully now I will get a lot more jumps for my time and money. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I think the general rule is that you are not supposed to do this... add up the totals. It makes the denial a lot more difficult.
(Don't worry the word Priceless does not appear anywhere below this line)

AFF (I count all 20 jumps) = $2000
Used rig = $3500
Jump Suit = $300
Helmet = $300
ProTrack = $275
Alti = $150
Gloves = $30
2 Power Tools (don't open beer bottles with this) = $30
100 jumps = $1900
2 hours coached tunnel time = $1600
Travel to Florida = $300
Cases of beer for firsts = ~$50

Total = $10435

If I had it to do over again... I'd spend even more:D

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

I spent a FORTUNE!!!!!!!!!!!! because I was an AFF student and didn't pass every level..repeats are expensive! ..and now that I've "graduated" rental gear and coach jumps are a FORTUNE! Geez...I used to feel rather wealthy and now I feel poor!:S:P

Cases of beer for firsts = ~$50

100+ jumps and you've only spent 50 bucks on beer!!! Someone needs to keep closer track of your firsts, or you know where to get some damn cheap beer. ;)

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

My daughter was getting married and I wanted to have a great party and I did it just by eliminating
the little things $10 here $10 there, hey it ads up.
The same goes for skydiving, if you want it, you
will make changes to make it happen. Don't get bummed out, life is not a dress rehersal, therefore
spend your money and enjoy. The people that you meet in this sport is without a doubt "priceless".

Enjoy, be safe & smart and remember...
***don't pet the swetty things

just added it up and i wish i hadn't
about 11 000 CAD for all but 3 of my jumps, new gear, aif fair to ZHills.
Next year I have to be like firstime, and start scrimping. And by that I mean I'll just get the 1/2 foot Subway subs:)

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

I think buying a new BASE rig, pushed me into the 5-10 bracket, but does BASE really count as skydiving expenses? If not, I'm under 5.

I spend very little miney on jump tickets anymore, I work most of that off as a Tandem Master. Most of money would be spent on travelling and boogies and such.

Ganja

Something else that crossed my mind; as this sport pretty much drives people to poverty, I imagine there might be a very large number of jumpers who have never even logged into this site and aren't putting in their 2 cents worth in this poll. I wonder if their votes would sway the numbers any?

PcCoder.net

Over 20K but the last year was fairly exceptional and involved a lot of traveling. All in all ...money well spent. B|

Michael

Just curious if I am spending too much.... Is that even possible????

Edited... I spent under $5000, but pretty close, and I have still not purchased my own gear, still using rental gear. But I probably spent about $1500 on tunnel time alone. This sport is like heroin. :)

You gotta be sly, and know the double jeopardy rule.

I did 1 jump with a new jump suit, new alti, new helmet, and my first out of a certain plane. That's 4 "beer offenses" for the price of one.

But, yeah I have gotten away with some stuff. And one offense was disputed so I only bought 1/2 case of Heinekin for that one.

I don't feel bad when someone doesn't catch me for beer because I don't ever drink.

I actually have 94 jumps now, so I'll be getting Pied soon, too.

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

Probably $9k, but I made a lot of gear purchases. [:/]

AFF recert + 150 jumps - $2800
Gear rentals for a few months - $900
First rig - $5300
Suits - $500
Wrist alti + 2 Dytters + 1 ProTrack + JumpTrack - $800
Helmet - $180

FUCK!!! My estimate was low. [:/] Looks more like $10.5k. I'm officially in the next range up. I voted wrong... :(
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'm really pissed at you for making me attempt to add it up>:(:P. 540+ jumps last year bought 1 rig used, sold my old rig. Bought 1 new canopy and 1 used reserve. Sold 1 main and 1 reserve. So on gear alone - about another $2000. Well over $10K not including travel. Would have been alot more jumps but we had alot of weathered weekends last year.