timbarrett

tunnel fitness

What fitness preparation should I be thinking of for a 3-day tunnel camp?
I am planning about 90 minutes over that 3-day period. I am in reasonable condition but I have read a few posts (Great post Michelle, btw!) suggesting that, while I will have a great time and learn lots, there may be bits falling off me by the end or at least the Advil supply will be seriously depleted.
Those of you who have done this before, is there anything I should specifically look to do to prepare myself in terms of strength ot flexibility?
Thanks for any help, Tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

I'd say don't go too mad with your time in there, and watch what new positions you mess with and the stress they put on your joints.

A good friend of mine spent about an hour in sit in the tunnel at Perris over Christmas. When I met him toward the end of January his shoulder was still so f$*ked that he had dificulty shaking my hand. He'd screwed with a ligament or nerve or something (I forget exatly what) as a direct result of overdoing it in the tunnel and was out having physio to correct the problem. His shoulder's completely grounded him (irrespective of the crappy weather) - I still don't know if he's ok yet.

You'll definitely want to stretch before going into theh tunnel and after your done. Keep the entergy level up and stay hydrated. The coach's job is to constantly push you, but know your limits and know if you're being pushed too hard. Let the coach know if you're getting too worn out.

And slug is right, bring lots and lots of money, you'll be wanting extra time...
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Hi, Tim.

Yes, find a good anti-inflamatory or aspirin...and bring lots. I use bextra to handle pain from other issues, But it's RX. That worked for me, although I rarely take three in a row...and I did.

Stretch a whole lot. And then stretch some more. Do that starting today and keep it up. Pat McGowan does lots of yoga, and he swears by it. I am thinking about doing that before I go in again...

And have fun. Really experiment with your body as directed by your coach, and you will really feel things that you're not terribly aware of in the sky. It's amazing...

Good luck, and thanks for the compliment on my post!:)
Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I spent 2 hours in the tunnel a couple of years ago. Stretch a lot, take plenty of advil, and bring along knee, elbow/forearm pads and a good back brace, which will help you avoid getting all bruised up and will help support your back. Enjoy!
What would Elvis do with a total malfunction?

Michele, I went in on Friday night for 15 minutes with Mel. B| It was sooo awesome! I was not sore the next day, but I am sore today in my arms/chest for some strange reason. (From all the grip-taking, I guess. We began to go very fast with some exercises...soooo much fun!)

Like a fool, I didn't stretch. What was I thinking? I must have spaced out. I will always stretch from now on...

Edited: My back and mid-region began to burn while I was in there (from the hard-core arching and weight belt), but I was fine afterwards and the next day...weird.

Just a one-timer newbie perspective….. After reading many of the posts regarding “what to expect in the tunnel”, I increased my exercise schedule from 3X per week to 5X and included lots of weight training (low/moderate weight, concentrating on high reps. and endurance) in the month prior to attending camp. I had 1 hour split between two days. Did the intense exercise help? That’s questionable. Mid-way through day two I was one tired, stiff, sore, and unfocused puppy. Do what nearly everyone else is suggesting….drugs, lots of drugs.

This is going to be interesting, Four of us have two hours over two days scheduled at Orlando. I've been pretty good about getting to the gym 3-5 times a week, 20-40 minutes worth of cardio and weight training. We will be bringing an economy-size bottle of ibuprofin and copious amounts of water -
Some one mentioned lower-back excercises - What specifically might be the most helpful?

Easy Does It

Some one mentioned lower-back excercises - What specifically might be the most helpful?

Something to try at home: (Unless contraindicated by medical conditions, doctor's advice, etc...)

1) Lie face down on the floor, arms straight out in front, legs extended behind. Keeping your head neutral, raise your right arm and left leg as far as you comfortably can. Hold for a slow 5 count. Relax and switch sides. Keep your leg straight, helps to keep the toe pointed. Do about 5 on each side. Then, keeping toes on the floor, raise both arms-- extended straight out in front, and upper body, as far as you comfortably can. Hold for slow 5 count. Repeat about 5 times. Then, do both legs, keeping head and arms relaxed and legs straight. (5 count, for 5 reps.) Now you're ready for arms and legs together. In essence, this is like practicing your arch, but with your arms and legs extended. You should feel your glutes and low back muscles working. (again, hold for a slow 5 count, and repeat for 5)

Increase (or decrease) the count number and repetitions based on your fitness level. It's not recommended that you totally fatigue your low back muscles, as they have to support you all day. Go slow, and be gentle. Make them work, but stop before you can't possibly do anymore, or you'll likely be sorry.

If you have a fitness ball, there are some great options for low back work on that. Also, gyms often have "roman chairs" for this type of exercise, in addition to the options of deadlifting, cable deadlifts, good mornings, etc.

Edited to add: Stretching is good. (Very good) Just make sure you're warmed up a bit first, and try not to bounce. In order to increase your flexibility, you really have to hold a stretch. Take a few deep breaths and try to relax into it. Never force it.

Good luck! Robin (ACE Certified Personal Trainer)

Thanks a mil! Great help!

If you have a fitness ball, there are some great options for low back work on that. Also, gyms often have "roman chairs" for this type of exercise, in addition to the options of deadlifting, cable deadlifts, good mornings, etc.

no Roman Chair at my gym (just an incline board for sit-ups and crunches-) But we do have fitness balls - Never used 'em really but I'm open to suggestions!

Easy Does It

I absolutely love using a fitness ball in my exercise routine and I swear by yoga (it has really made me more aware of my body position and helped me to develop strength and flexibility in muscles that my normal routine never touched). That's how I've strengthened my core. Pretty much anything you can do lying on a bench, you can do on the ball instead and get the added benefits of engaging your core while working other muscles. (I sit or lie on the ball when doing anything with free weights.)

Here is one of my favorite ball exercises:

The Bridge (just like in yoga only your feet are on the ball rather than the ground) - Place your calves on the ball while lying on the ground. With your hands on the ground by your side, use your abs to raise your hips off the ground until your hips are in line with the rest of your body (straight line from shoulders which are on the ground to knees which are on the ball). Hold in suspension for 10 seconds and slowly lower back to the ground. In the beginning, I started out with the ball under my calves and gradually built up to having it essentially under my heels (the more body suspended the harder it is to hold and balance). I also started out with my arms on the ground and as I got stronger and improved my balance, was able to cross them over my chest and then raise them in the air. You can also work the hamstrings and gluts by rolling the ball towards your butt after you are suspended.

Having a strong core definitely helped me in the tunnel and pretty much with anything skydiving related.

Blue skies,
Sherri

Re: fitness balls

Sometimes these things are easier explained in person, but I'll try...

You can lay face down on the ball, with it primarily under your hips, supporting your low back. Always have either one hand and opposite foot touching the ground, or both feet or both hands. (you would think that would be intuitive, but I've seen people just roll right off.) So, you're on the ball, and can then do the maneuvers described above for the floor. Be sure you're in a clear area, so that if you do lose your balance, you don't bang into a wall or anything.

Try the opposite arm and leg maneuver for several reps and a slow 5 count. Then, support yourself with your hands on the floor and raise just your extended legs behind you. When you do just arms, I really recommend that you start with your feet braced against a wall. Keep your legs straight and head neutral as you raise your upper body so it is just in alignment with the rest of you. (No need to really hyperextend.)

To increase intensity, you can begin adding a medicine ball or dumbbell to the arms only portion, keeping arms extended, holding the weight or ball in your hands.

You can also just roll on the ball, face down, to stretch out your back. If you relax, particularly with the ball under your hips and supporting your low back, it will really stretch this area out and usually feels really good. (Again, remember to keep in contact with the floor with either arms or legs, or both.)

Fitness balls are super for all kinds of ab exercises, too. Push-ups with the ball under your legs are challenging-- the more it's under your hips, the easier it is, the closer to your feet, the more challenging. This is also great for core strength. Push-ups with your hands on the ball (and the ball braced against the wall for beginners) will give you a whole new perspective. Some gyms offer classes based just around ball exercises.

And-- one of my favorites-- you can use the ball to practice your sit-fly. Again, get yourself in a clear area. Try to find a ball sized so that when you sit you have a comfortable 90 degree angle at your knees. Get your arms out and as you gain confidence, begin picking up your feet and sit-flying. If you weren't sure where you're obliques were before, you'll be able to find them in just a few short minutes of practicing this. Again-- great for core strength (abs, low back), which will come in handy for tunnel time, hard core skydiving season, and hauling groceries (or lots of beer), too.

We have two hours of tunnel time plus 10 jumps scheduled over 3 days.

OMG, that is a lot of flying time in a short period of time for a newbie. I'm curious as to your schedule. How is the 2 hours and the 10 skydives in 3 days spaced out? Is this a specific camp?

Anyway, you are going to have a blast. Just make sure to pace yourself, so that the time that you spend in the tunnel is as effective as possible. You don't want to not have any arch left in you when you need it the most.

Btw, I am a little jealous. Have fun! B|

Question?

Am I asking for a world of hurt?

One week from tommorrow I am going to be doing my first half hour in a tunnel. Skyventure. I am going to work on my sit fly.

Then Friday through Saturday I will be at the Sebastian boogie.

Then Monday I have one more half hour of tunnel time at skyventure, working on fall rate control.

The dates for the tunnel are set. Am I going to be in a world of hurt?

yes

most pain I have had in the tunnel is from sit-fly. You work so much harder in the tunnel than in the air ( I did at least ).

And the fall rate control will make your lower back feel nice and painful next day.

Regardless, the tunnel rocks.

PcCoder.net