crosscountry

new packers cheat sheet

I've got 28 jumps and the only thing i have left before i send off my A card is to get my pack job signed off. Anybody have some kind of packing cheat sheet that i could lay down on the ground while i am learning to pack, like a step by step guide or some kind of outline....i'm having a some trouble learning....thanks for all your tips and help :)

yeah, i've taken a few packing classes but in order to get it signed off i need to be able to pack "without assistance", i always seem to forget some little detail, or what to do next...ya know? and i need to ask someone near by, anywho...i just think if i had some kind of outline that i could look at while i was packing to make sure i didn't forget any steps, or what to do next....that it would help me learn without constantly bugging people.....thanks for all your input;)

This shouldn't replace getting a real lesson but go up to anyone who seems cool and ask to watch them pack and ask them to just say out loud what they're doing. This is just slam bam procedure, get better advice than mine for REALLY learning. Ask questions.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

One for flat-packing.
One for Pro-packing.
Psycho-packing is on the Icarus site.

The checklists are intended as a guide. If you show them to someone, they may have incremental differences. As you progress, you'll see many variations and techniques. I've had many students say, "Well, so & so does it this way." Remember this: "Different isn't neccesarily wrong." In flat-packing, some pack nose left, some nose right.

The single common denominator that I have found (riggers feel free to jump in) is "Line Order and Line Tension." 1300+ jumps - no reserve rides. I strongly believe in those two elements.

Here's your checklists...

Edited to add: I teach Pro-Packing a little different. I have the students place the right line group over the right shoulder and the left line group over the left shoulder... then spread everything out so the center cell seam is running right down their crotch line. Its been my experience that its easier for the students to see the different line groups and center cell. Eventually, they migrate to all line groups over one shoulder once they get comfortable with identifying the line groups on their own. Course, I demonstrate flat-packing first, so they see the A, B, C, & D line groups.

5 major points to any pack job

1. lines straight
2. brakes set
3. slider up
4. rubber bands tight around lines
5. bridle routed straight from pin to handle

Everything else is a minor point.

My pet peeve is people who devote a half hour to flaking the bottom skin (minor point), but lose control of the slider (major point) while bagging the canopy.

5 major points to any pack job

1. lines straight
2. brakes set
3. slider up
4. rubber bands tight around lines
5. bridle routed straight from pin to handle

Everything else is a minor point.

I'd add to number 2:
2. brakes set & slider uncollapsed & PC cocked

I do all three at the same time before starting the actual packjob. Missing any one has the potential of ruining your day.

OK I got one problem with the pro packing check list. You have the PC cocked after the canopy in the D-bag, does'nt this mean that some of the canopy can be pinched by the bridle/rapide link inside the D-bag if the kill line inside the D-bag happens to grab some material when it is pulled through the bridle and cause it to rip the canopy on deployment? Would'nt it be better to cock the PC either when you uncollapse the slider or lay the canopy down before bagging it?

I have seen this happen myself, someone cocked the PC after bagging the canopy..after he got down found out that there was a 10cm tear in the top skin of the canopy.

Anyone want to confirm/clarify the above suggestion?

Cheers

I must admit to not having it in there because I have seen numerous folks "Pre-Cock" and never verify the cock after getting it in the bag. SO, I've been teaching students to ensure the kill line is centered in the D-bag prior to placing the canopy in the bag... Then you only have to cock the kill line once after the first two stows are done.

However, consensus amongst my peers would dictate that I change it. I have done so, but added a "Stop Check" on the chekclist to verify the P/C has been cocked.

Unfortunately, the changes and bolding of important points is greater than the 60 kb upload allowance.

So here it is for you to manipulate, bold, modify, as you see fit.

If you'd like version 2 in MS Word format with rows and check boxes, send me an email and I'll send it to ya:

Tie 3-rings together with “Pull-up” cord
Place two weights in main packing tray
Brakes Stowed (Set) (Excess brake line NOT routed through risers)
Slider Up and UN-collapsed
Right-side toggles in Right hand/Left-side toggles in Left Hand
Walk down to canopy maintaining Line Order & Line Tension
Line Group Check – 1) Right front group to right front of canopy; 2) Right rear group to right rear of canopy; 3) Right brake line group to right furthest rear of canopy; 4) Left front group to left front of canopy; 5) Left rear group to left rear of canopy; 6) Left brake line group to left furthest rear of canopy.
Place all line groups on right shoulder with nose to the left
Count and collect nose cells (7 or 9)
Grab all nose cells and punch towards center of canopy and vigorously pull left
Place both hands over canopy and smooth out excess air
Peek between stabilizer groups to check for line continuity
NOSE – according to manufacturer or personal specs (Roll and stuff or leave alone)
Place nose between legs
Split line groups on either side of your head
Pull slider over head across back of neck
Ensure the CENTER CELL Seam runs straight down
“D” lines on right side to center cell seam and chop canopy outwards to the right
“D” lines on left side to center cell seam and chop canopy outwards to the left
“C” lines on right side to center cell seam and chop canopy outwards to the right
“C” lines on left side to center cell seam and chop canopy outwards to the left
“B” lines on right side to center cell seam and chop canopy outwards to the right
“B” lines on left side to center cell seam and chop canopy outwards to the left
Grab Right side “A” and stabilizer lines and flake out stabilizer canopy to the right
Grab Left side “A” and stabilizer lines and flake out stabilizer canopy to the left
Redress from top to bottom ensuring lines are along center seam and canopy is chopped outwards creating “S” folds between each line group.
Bend over at the waist 90 degrees and gently release canopy
Pull slider over head and quarter between line groups as deep into the canopy as possible.
Pull all four lines groups off shoulders and place on right shoulder maintaining line tension to rig (milk any line slack up and down into the canopy).
Re-dress all lines to center seam
Find center of tail and place left hand at the bottom of all the line groups
Gently pull tail up to the bottom of the slider & four line group while keeping lines down and centered with left hand
GENTLY Pull tail around canopy
Wrap bottom of tail TIGHTLY around the four line groups
Wrap tail ends towards nose until they meet
Twist & wrap top and bottom of tail together at least five times
Place four line groups in right hand and wrapped tail in left hand
Go down on right knee and use left forearm to gently lay parachute down
Cock “Kill Line” Pilot Chute
Place right knee on tail/lines and lay down on the canopy to remove excess air
Redress canopy from bottom to top criss-crossing inwards until parachute width is same size as “D” bag.
Lay on canopy and remove final excess air.
While laying down, check deployment bag bands and orient for parachute stowing
Remove weights
Kneeling on right side of canopy, place “karate chop” one-third up canopy and “S” fold
Straddle and maintain first “S” fold with hand
Pull next third over first “S” fold creating three “S” folds
Dress top of canopy into “S” folds
Gently place knee on top of all “S” folds
Pull “D” Bag over canopy using “Condom” method
Roll bag towards lines/ rubber band through grommet and stow first line group 1.5 inches (Ensure rubber band stows are tight)
Rubber band through second grommet and stow second line group 1.5 inches
STOP
Re-Cock or verify kill-line parachute or Pull standard pilot chute bridle grommet to grommet
Continue “S” folding lines approximately 1.5 inches until there is ~18” of suspension line
Place bag in main pack tray with toggles facing towards reserve container. & close tuck tabs according to manufacturer specs..
Place excess suspension line in a “V” at a 45 degree angle towards bottom of pack tray while holding the bag by the bridle above the pack tray.
Place D-bag in main pack (straight up & down or down and rotate according to manufacturer)
Close main pack tray flaps according to manufacturer’s closing specifications
Fold pilot chute as trained and place in BOC (if there are bulges in the BOC, use fist to flatten and check for “Monkey Fist.”
Ensure bridle routed straight from pin to handle

You know this may be scary, but i had about 30 jumps and i had a wonderful jumpmaster spend about an hour teaching me to pack (or did he do it because of the short shorts?) anyhow,i couldn't get it in the bag because i bought a brand new canopy.
(the experienced jumpers were trash packing my canopy- they could hardly get it in the d-bag) so i took it home and cussed and fought and got it in the bag.Next day i jumped it! and noone watched me pack it. What a freak i was! Me and another guy who was learning to pack was deciding what we were going to do after we cut away our main " do we chase it down or come back to the D.Z. then go get it?" Someone heard us and said " that has to be one of the craziest dirt dives i ever heard!" thank goodness both of our canopies opened. I figured i had a reserve.....crazy- i know better now....

Exactly, one more thing though Kai...

I slipped our packer "the fee" and, I video taped him packing too.

I spent the other nite, at home (8 weeks later), packing my rig and going step by step through what my packer had taught me. Play, Rewind, Stop, FFwd...

Very cool truly.

jus my two cents.

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

one note on the checklist that I saw, and riggers correct me if I am wrong (this is a minor point)

the checklist recommends to cock the PC after the canopy is in the bag. I have been told that doing this can cause excess wear on the topskin of the canopy and even wear a hole in it.

anyone with more experience on this one ?

Blue Ones !

D 27808