skipro101

uhhh, so this is skydiving eh?

Just looking back on my first jump last summer and remember being...well...not really that impressed with any "rush".

I mean...i just felt like a bunch of wind with a good view.

I kept going in my training and spent 7k so far not because of a rush..but because its fun. But not fun like I would think jumping out of a plane would be.. instead... its fun like going biking...or fun like running with my friend heather.

Anyone else feel like this? I mean..maybe im just too stupid to be as scared as I ought to be...but its not a rush really for me...just a fun thing to do.

Am I alone here?

:S

I got a rush on my first jump...and then when I friend corked underneath me on a freefly jump when I dont have an AAD....THAT was a rush. I am in no hurry for anymore rushes....thank you very much.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

For the most part I feel the same way skip, I don't get the same rush that a lot of people do. Skydiving is just A LOT of plain old fun to me. B| I also find it to be very challenging when trying to learn new things.

I will say that jumping from a chopper was quite a rush though. Going out backwards and 'falling' was SWEET!!!

Jeff

Whether or not someone feels a "rush" varies depending on the person and what activities they've done prior to/in addition to skydiving, and also on that person's definition of the word "rush." Looking at your list of other interests I can see why you didn't/don't get the same feeling that someone who hasn't done any other risky or scary stuff prior to jumping would have.

When I started jumping I wouldn't ride roller coasters or snow ski on anything other than beginner slopes - too scary! After starting to skydive I love roller coasters, have skiied down a couple black diamond runs and I'm currently collecting and organizing the gear for my first backpacking trip (which will happen as soon as the "good season" ends in Florida and starts in the mountains of the southeast US B|).

I was scared shitless in the plane on my first jump, and the grin I had after that jump lasted for days. I can still get close to that feeling by doing new/different/bigger stuff in the air now - every wingsuit jump I've done had me pumped for hours after landing; same with the big way RW jumps I've done and every tandem I did as an instructor.

I dunno... to me what I feel when I'm riding my bike just doesn't compare to what I feel when I'm flying my body or my parachute.

If you stick it out long enough...you can push your canopy piloting skills. I get the most "high" after a good turf surf...which hasn't been many but the good ones keep me coming back for more.

Freefall isn't much but windy I agree....but learning to use different body surfaces to fly with is a rush after you first learn them and get efficient.

After a couple good mals, partial highspeed to be specific, you'll get a rush...

they will come, if you let them:P

Never Give up! Never Surrender!

I have yet to figure out exactly what a "rush" is.

It's a term commonly used in conjunction with recreational drug use, usually associated with the onset of psychoactive effects. A jolt of adrenaline is similar to many popular stimulants.

Morphine is characterized by a "pins and needles" rush, cocaine like having a 747 take off behind you, methamphetamine by a surge of energy and so forth. Some popular drugs are not known for any particular rush.

At least according to what I've read.

>Anyone else feel like this?

Sometimes. Often skydiving is just fun. I did some RW at Otay this weekend with some old friends, and we had fun. After 3700 jumps, I don't get scared that I'll screw up the spot, or that my parachute won't open, or that someone will kill me. Not that those things can't happen, I've just gotten used to accepting and managing that risk, and I'm OK with it.

On the other hand, I did an intentional cutaway at Perris on Saturday, and that _was_ a real rush - there's something unnatural about just falling away from your parachute. So for me it's both.