Thanatos340

Most important factor in choosing a DZ?

I'm still jumping at the DZ where I did my AFF last summer. Actually, I spend quite a while just checking it out before even embarking on the course, just checking whether I would feel comfortable and could trust the people there. ;) Maybe that's the reason - and people just stick with the place where they started? (provided it's local, of course!)

It's still true, so whilst I may moan about the ticket prices, etc etc (we're far too close to Heathrow, Gatwick; SE England = Expensive :o), it's still my DZ. B|
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Biggest/Fastest Jump Plane 2dz's-3 Otters
Jump Ticket Prices $18-13000+ $18-14000+
Number of jumpers in your discipline #of quality jumpers
Closest DZ 30min/50min
Safety and Training programs n/a
Best Coaches and/or Organizers -/many
Good Landing Area with lots of Outs ok/great
After Hours Party’s / Nightlife I have a life
DZ Attitude in General good/good
I go where my friends Jump a few/ many
Only one choice in the area 2
Other?? Aircraft maintenance good/good

I go where we will have the most successful fulfilling jumps! And the best organizers. Big ways!

When I decided to make my first skydive I e-mailed each NJ dropzone looking for information. About 45 minutes later the owner of my now home DZ called me at work and spent almost an hour talking to me about skydiving. He patiently answered all of my whuffo questions and didn't rush to get me off the phone. I had a great gut feeling about this place and I was right. It's all about the general atmosphere and the vibe.

Impossible to vote this one because there it is a serious mixture of a few. Also there are other issues like how my family is treated by the people there. IF my family feels welcome and the DZ is safety conscious, and the attitude towards new flyers is one of a desire to help, and the coaches and staff really know their stuff, then the DZ is great. They coould be the safest ever and yet be terrible everywhere else and I would not jump there, or they could be great in everything but safety and I would not jump there. It is a mixture of the list you gave that is important to me. No single thing sticks out.

I chose "after hours" because I don't think many of the other things distinguish the average dropzone by much. For example, if the "general attitude" is unsafe or if everyone is a jerk then it's not average. So, I choose based on the fun I have while not jumping. That's what makes the difference to me as to whether or not I'll make the trip if the weather is questionable.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Quality of airplane maintenance.

there is a closer and cheaper DZ from where I live, but I don't want to fly on their planes... I just want to do 1 jump there for the scenery, but the day they get a new plane.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I agree with everyone else that there are several factors....DZ attitude, where my friends jump, nice plane, etc.

but one of our motivating factors wasn't listed (probably because we are the exception, not the rule)...
we go where it's most kid-friendly. At our DZ they have a kids play area - there's usually someone available to watch them while we jump - they can fly kites and ride bikes outside - it is clean (as far as it's a PG dropzone, not an R dropzone, if you know what I mean)...

The one thing that has kept us from jumping at the nearby DZ's is the kid-factor. (although we're thinking about jumping Buckeye in just a couple of weeks...I want to get #100 down in Coolidge first, and that should happen - if the weather holds up - next weekend)

So for me...a BIGGIE is "family friendly"...

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Definitely DZ attitude in general.

Case in point: Skydive New Mexico. I was there in 2000 when they were at Coronado Airport and using a Cessna 207. Club operation, slow pace. Small aircraft. Great people, awesome vibe. People are there because they LOVE to skydive. Some pretty interesting characters too. I would definitely go back again.
Arrive Safely

John

DZ Attitude. Safety conscience staff, No Hot doggers
cutting people off on final..hate that shit...

Good safe up to date aircraft. Also good landing area for all disciplines..

A DZ that welcomes everyone and just doesnt cater to Tandems only. Honest Folk who care about all Jumpers alike..

A DZ that welcomes everyone and just doesnt cater to Tandems only.

Along the same lines, a DZ that isn't a student factory is a good thing. I'm still a student myself and have already seen how this plays a roll. Experienced jumpers getting packed with a load of students so they end of going solo from 10K because all of the others hopped and popped @ 3500. Not my bag. This many students causes the JM's to not be able to keep up. You lose the one on one attention for those who really want to learn.

dgm
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail