Tom are you sure about this statementB|
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

> i doubt you will ever catch me getting out of a plane without one again. <

Yet your aviator has you in the ready set go position without a helmet

Interesting.

Cute picture though:)

and that is why i said: "i spent almost an entire season jumping without a helmet. let's just say i finally smartened up." so... pbbbbbbbbbbt! :P

:D:D:D:D

Yeah maybe we should all have responsible avaitars where we are dressed in full combat armor. I think I going to drive to work from now on with my racing helmet, and add bright orange reflective strips to my car. Actually, I think I am going to stop skydiving cause that could kill me and live in steel vault with filtered air.

When I had 900 juMPS, I tried jumping helmet-less.
IT WAS TOO F%$$ING LOUD!
Then I wore a leather hat for a few hundred jumps until a PLF bruised the left side of my head.
Then I wore Pro-Tecs for 3,000 jumps (mostly instructional) and most recently bought a HAVOK full-faced helmet for PFF.
Jumping helmet-less is best left to the young men who still believe they are invincible.

Ponds don't count as wipe outs. That was a CHOW. Subtle difference Ozzy. And I needed a bath anyways.......lol

But I know what you are reffering to you jerk! And if you remember, despite leaving a divot on the beer line, I ended up standing up that landing in the peas. That didnt count as a wipe out! Plus I WAS wearing my helmet, which was my original point. JERK. LOL!

Remember the Godfather II, "We never talk about family business outside the family". I'll remember this at Thanksgiving Dinner this year. Your in for it!

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

IT WAS TOO F%$$ING LOUD!

Don't you think for someone with far less jumps, say 50, this would be a MAJOR distraction to safety if they lost thier helmet, woulden't a few coached jumpes without a helmet prepaire a new skydiver for all situations.

This sport is unforgiving, if you just jump out a plane without giving a second thought for your head hitting something, or your not paying enough attention to whats going on around you, there's something WRONG here, bad things just don't happen, you need idiots for that, YOU NEED MORE TRAINING.

Just a thought.

IT WAS TOO F%$$ING LOUD!

Don't you think for someone with far less jumps, say 50, this would be a MAJOR distraction to safety if they lost their helmet, wouldn't a few coached jumps without a helmet prepare a new skydiver for all situations.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To simulate losing a helmet, I suppose we could have the junior jumpers wear Pro-Tec half-shell helmets, however the boss frowns on that as he considers the risk of losing an ear too great.

We cannot simulate all types of "wardrobe malfunctions." Frankly, if the loss of a helmet would distract someone bad enough that they would not pull, I seriously question whether they should continue skydiving.

At some point, skydivers have to become adults, solving their own problems in real time.

there's something WRONG here, bad things just don't happen, you need idiots for that, YOU NEED MORE TRAINING

Helmets are just like AADs, you should never trust the AAD to save your life it is a mechanical device and may fail. You are always responsible for your safety, but if things go really wrong it is always best to have the safety devices there to cover you.

As for "bad things just don't happen" ask anyone who has been slammed by an invisible dirt devil if that's true. Skydiving is a fast paced sport sh** happens.

Geez, after reading all of this comments I am not sure if I should post my opinon. But, here goes, I quit wearing a helmet on jump # 178 when a girl I was jumping with forgot hers blah, blah, blah. Anyhow, for years the only time I wore one was when it was required (during the world record attempts) or when the temperature on the ground was below 30 (not very often in Florida). Our four-way team once left a meet we had travelled to when they said we would have to wear helmets.

Now though, I do wear a helmet when I freefly (at the request of my wife). Is it right or wrong, hell I don't know. Most of the srcatches on mine come from just handling it around the plane or on the ground, none from running into things.

What do I recommend to my students, a quote from Tom Piras (who seldom wore a helmet) "if you are going to be stupid, you better be tough"
blue skies,

art

Riggerrob
How many people have lost ears through not wearing a helmet, this is not a dig or anything,but I have asked this same question on a topic about jumping without a helmet, any stats here would be great if you have any, people here talk about ears flying off into the sunset if you don't wear a helmet, I would like some back-ups of these storys, if poss, thanks.

skydiveMo
I have hit some DD's, & it hasen't been pretty, big lesson learnet in not jumping in medium gusty winds, students don't have that choice, things change when you leave a plane but if your on a big arse canopy doing an student jump it's pretty fair to say that a well trained aff instructor has your best intrests at heart.

This is only my opinion, positive feedback appreciated.

Geez, after reading all of this comments I am not sure if I should post my opinon.

LOL, me too!

I've logged quite a few jumps without a helmet, solo and RW, mainly because I didn't have one for awhile. But I also used to jump a rig with a round reserve, without an AAD, without an RSL, without an audible and occasionally without an altimeter...

If you're gonna jump without a helmet (AAD, RSL, altimeter, audible, etc) you need to be aware of the risks you are taking. Other than that if you aren't required to wear one by your countries "association" or by the rules at the dz you are jumping at, I see nothing wrong with not wearing one.

imho jumps without a helmet are fun.

That said, my last couple hundred jumps have all been made with a helmet on my head.

" Frankly, if the loss of a helmet would distract someone bad enough that they would not pull, I seriously question whether they should continue skydiving.

I think that oppinion would be a little too late, hence training would be GOOD.

To simulate losing a helmet, I suppose we could have the junior jumpers wear Pro-Tec half-shell helmets, however the boss frowns on that as he considers the risk of losing an ear too great.

>>I actually had my helmet come off during freefall. I was sit-flying with a full-faced helmet (yeah, I know). Well the under-side near the chin caught air, and off it went. The problem wasn't losing the helmet so much as the helmet trying to take the goggles with it (I was wearing a BH boomerang w/face plate removed). I had to reach up and grab the goggles before they came completely off, and this caused me to cork. Got them back on in time to pull at my normal altitude and I was on a solo with no-one near me, so the only harm done was the loss of an expensive helmet. I learned that it is important to choose a helmet appropriate for the type of jump you're doing

At my DZ (Paradive, Israel) you have to wear a helmet and it is mandatory during the first 1000 ft of the climb.

...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return...
blue sky
Asaf