jump_or_die

Do you have to wear a helmat

Depends.

In Oz, you have to wear a helmet until you have your C licence. Then it's up to you (with approval of the DZSO)

In the UK, everyone has to wear a helmet. (AFAIK)

In the US, I think it's a free-for-all once you've got your A licence.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

In the UK, everyone has to wear a helmet. (AFAIK)

Yeah, that's right. You've got to have a suitable hard open face helmet until "B" licence, then you can have an hard full-face. Once you've got a "C" licence, a frappe hat is permitted. B|

But you've always got to have some protection on your head!

Whilst the hard helmet requirement is a good idea (IMHO), anyone else think that limiting the use of full-face helmets to "B" licence and above is daft? :S
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

.....anyone else think that limiting the use of full-face helmets to "B" licence and above is daft? :S

Full faces can and most often do?.. affect your field of vision so that you cannot see your handles.. bad thing for inexperienced people...

I remember alot of people telling me early on that a helmet would only serve to keep the mess together if something really bad happened. As soon as I got my A license I started jumping without a helmet and LOVED it. Really a great feeling in the air. But then I started seeing all these helmets on other people with little nicks and scratches, so I asked people where they came from, and I got answers like:
Hitting the door on the way out
Getting kicked by another jumper in freefall
Hard landings,
etc, etc, etc
Then I realized that it was better to knick my helmet than my head. So I jumped with helmets from then on.
1000 jumps later, I see all the little scratches on my helmet and think about how much worse those scraches would look on my head.....lol
In all seriousness though, the thing that keeps me wearing helmets is swooping. While I havent wiped out (knock on wood) a landing swooping yet, the odds are that I will eventually, and when I do, I'm betting I'll fair 100 times better with a helmet on my head, than without one. Just my .02, think long term in the sport, you will have better odds of staying healthy with a helmet in the long run, than without one.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

i've posted my thoughts on this before when someone asked this question, but i'll post em again for you...

i spent almost an entire season jumping without a helmet. let's just say i finally smartened up. sure, it's cool to jump without a helmet... i loved the feeling of freedom and the air through my hair, and blah blah blah... but it only takes ONE f*ck up, and you're done.

look at people's helmets in general... notice all the little paint smudges and scratches... almost everyone has em.

just be careful whatever you decide.. helmet or not. after a few incidents i witnessed last year, i doubt you will ever catch me getting out of a plane without one again. :|

Full faces can and most often do?.. affect your field of vision so that you cannot see your handles.. bad thing for inexperienced people...

I've heard that before - but I think it depends on the helmet. I jump with an open face Z1; tried on the full face Z1 but felt I couldn't see a thing (never mind handles!) On the other hand, I had a great field of vision out of an Oxygen A3. :)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

...anyone else think that limiting the use of full-face helmets to "B" licence and above is daft?

Yeah, I think that's pretty stupid.

I started wearing a full-face Z1 Sti when I had about a dozen jumps. It made a world of difference. It made things much more quiet and seemed to lengthen my skydive because I was much less distracted by the wind. It also made a ton of difference in the winter, because my head was warm.

I never had a problem seeing my handles, but I could see that being something to consider.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

> i doubt you will ever catch me getting out of a plane without one again. <

Yet your aviator has you in the ready set go position without a helmet

Interesting.

Cute picture though:)
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

My DZ has a min jump numbers before you can jump with no hard helmet.

I had a nasty landing once still was using the DZs protecs (still am actually, helmets aren't cheap) and it made much nicer for me when my head hit the ground. Have to love turbulence [:/]:S
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Yeah I wear a helmet! Not just for protection against scratches and bumps but also because it helps me relax in freefall by making things more quiet...
It must be psychological but I get more nervous when I can hear myself fall! [:/]

"We see the world just the way we are...

Odds are you will need one eventually, I’ve given and taken my fair share off feet to the head during RW jumps. I’ve also seen a few good knees to the back to the head from jumpers crashing through formations. Though I’d say 99% of the time I didn’t need a helmet I’m glad I had it on for that 1%.

When you do start jumping on your own ask around and make sure the helmet you buy is right for the job. For instance the leather frap hat is only good for soaking up your blood after you bust your head open.

Had to make a quick exit from a Cesna 182 that was losing altitude. I did a retarded exit and hit my head on the step. Glad I was wearing a helmet. Also, since that time, I keep my goggles and helmet on during the entire ride to altitude. Next time I need to make a quick exit I won't be fumbling around for them.

I probably have ridden 50,000 miles on various motorcycles without a helmet, but I jump with one.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Your post promted me to jump up and get my gear
bag...took my helmet out and yes indeed you are
correct.
4 yellow scuffs from the porter, 2 white ones from caravan and one above my forehead (which I remember) from the skyvan.. the one that Bush
whacked his head on (the back door), and other
assorted dings that I am clueless as to how they got
there. I'll bet if I didnt have a helmet I would have remembered them all. LMAO from your post