upndownshop

Do You Skydive? Need a skydiving scholarship?

There is a skydiving scholarship fund out there for skydivers. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone benefited from this fund? I sure would like to know. I hear they have a great boogie. Has anyone been? Is it good? Would you go again? Will you follow it if it moves? Please tell me? Should I go?
More info www.skyfestboogie.com I think it is a good thing, don't you?

Yup it is moving. This is a good thing. Our goal is to create more awareness for the fund. We want to start sponsoring teams but we need to grow and Spaceland is a good start. Please support the move, SkyFest in Motion is a great cause!! The Pink Mafia Girls will be there!! Blue Skies www.skyfestboogie.com

Jerry,

Your first post came through as someone wanting information on something the knew very little about. Hey, promote it! I'll help! Anytime you need it!

Blues,

J.E.

Someone suggested that approach, can't deny it your right. Didn't think it would last long. I noticed your from Mo. I jumped a while at MRVS, do you know it.

Yeah. Don't do the troll thing. That was poor advice. You'll get crucified for that... and rightfully so.

You did ask a question I would like to address. What it was like being a Scholarship recipient.

Last year, the recip's were choosen by our AFFI's and staff. I'd busted my ass all year. There were many that had. They could have chosen several others, and no one would've batted an eye.

When my name was called to go up and receive my plaque, it was one of the more rewarding moments this sport has afforded me. Very proud... vindicating, maybe. The award wasn't a huge sum, it'd been spread out over about a half dozen recip's over several DZ's. But WAS enough to make the difference between taking a coach course or not. I wouldn't have taken it had I not had that money to apply.

What was really interesting to me though... and I don't think I ever told you this.. was how people reacted to the scholarship winners.

Those that had never known your father offered quick, textbook congrats. In their mind, it seemed like they felt I'd won a raffle or something.

Those that had known your father reacted very differently. It really meant something to them. I could see it in their eyes. Several crossed the hanger to shake my hand and tell me how your dad had made a difference to them in some way. It was important to them that I understand that he was the kind of man that for decades would kinda gather all the little A licenced ducklings together and teach them, slowly and carefully bring them up to speed and into the fold.

One of the Jerry's Kids called me about a week later just to talk about him. What she said suprised me.

"Jerry wasn't loved and respected because he was a great skydiver.

He wasn't.

At least, not by today's standards. There's a bunch of folk around here that could fly circles around him. He was loved because he never tired of teaching and giving and helping young skydivers love and understand the sport. He did it for decades, and never tired of giving just a little bit more the next day."

That was the reason I applied the Scholarship towards the coach rating rather than, say, tunnel time. I felt it honored the spirit of the man for whom the scholarship commemorates. A man I never met. Who still managed to help me through the actions and comments of those whom he'd taught.

It seemed that he not only spent a lot of time helping out the new jumpers, but he sorta set a tone of giving-back that others emulated in kind. There's no doubt in my mind that some of those that have, and continue to help me, are doing so in order to pay-forward what Jerry had done for them.

I'll follow Skyfest wherever you want to take it J. Partially because it's a great boogie, partially because you're a good person and I catagorically like to support the efforts of good people, but also because I like the idea of embracing a boogie whose profits fund a scholarship that commemerates the memory of a man who was not known for winning medals, but for honest act of giving back to the people that loved the sport.

Your dad's been gone several years now, but every few months I'll still hear someone mention his name. He touched a lot of people at SDD. There's a lot to be said for that.

Anyway. I'd been meaning to mention that to you for months, but as you keep moving your silly ass back and forth to Florida, I never seemed to get around to it.

I hope this has brightened your day just a little bit, and answered your question of hat it felt like to get the scholarship...

And I'll see ya in Houston.
Robin
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

LOL - user name is irrelevant.

I'm not trying to say anything. I'm entitled to my own opinion of those that run this program and can express as I please. I've met the person in question and was rather turn off by his blatant rudeness to up and coming skydivers and the high level of unprofessionalism.

It's my opinion, that's all.

When you say you've meet the person in question, WHICH person are you referring to?
There are many people involved with this boogie - the DZ, its staff members, volunteers, organizers, helpers, family. Any one of these people could have given you a bad opinion but perhaps that should not reflect on the spirit of the boogie itself.
I do hope you'll give it another chance this year in Houston and allow a possible change of opinion. Please consider it. Take care!

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)