Nightingale

AFF 1 or Tandem?????

I just posted this in another forum, but I think it will fit here too.:)***

The TAF tandem progression will get you better results for learning.
The 1 on 1 training you get doing the tandems and landing the canopy with the Instructor will help you learn faster. "BUT", make sure the tandem instructor is AFF rated, and can possibly do ALL you jumps with you?
Some tandem instructors are just that, "tandem instructors".
Some will just tell you to just "put your legs on my ass" and leave them there so they dont get in their way, and some could care less what your body position is or what your legs and feet are doing during the tandems.
This will only lead to you having BAD body position and BAD leg awarness during your AFF segment of your TAF progression. Thus a curtain backsliding spin with your AFF Instuctor holding onto you with both hands sticking his tongue out at you?
I do ALL my own Private Training now, from the 2 tandems, the FJC,and all the AFF jumps so I dont have to put up with a bad tandem master anymore.
Just my .02 from EXPERIENCE
Be safe.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I'd say that he could easily handle AFF. He has already jumped out of planes, wouldn't have a fear of the door, He could handle it.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

"BUT", make sure the tandem instructor is AFF rated, and can possibly do ALL you jumps with you?

For a TM that isn't an AFF-I, I'm insulted. Have you seen the new certification program that is used for TMs? You have to be a coach and you have to go through regular freefall eval dives to get the rating. So you know some about body position.

When I train a CatA tandem, it takes me roughly 30 minutes. The dive is a simple dive, just handle touches, alti checks, arm turns and pulling. During that entire time, I'm working on their body position (even if the student doesn't realize it). Oh, and for you AFF instructors out there, while talking to the student, I use my hands, giving hand signals that correspond with what I'm talking about. I don't explain them and I don't use them on the jump, but after 2 jumps with me talking and using handsignals, the signals come to them quicker. Even though they didn't know they were being trained for them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave, I'm sure you are a wonderful Tandem JM, but being an AFF JM is very different. Just like if you're a good AFF JM, that doesn't mean you would be a good Tandem JM. They are to different.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I agree to that point, I'm just annoyed that his point was that if a TM isn't an AFF-i, then they would suck at doing working tandems and you'd learn bad habits that would cost you more to fix later!

That's what I'm saying!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I jumped in the Army first then did AFF. I think that was the best for me. I am new and have 79 Jumps so far since July 03. As you can see I'm hooked and It's nothing like the Airborne. I say AFF 1 all the way!

PS. I just couldn't stand having to tell my Army buds that my first civilian jump was with a big hairy guy strapped to my ASS holding my hand :$:P.
They would NEVER let me live that down. I can hear the jokes in the barracks now.

Airborne!