flyuphi99

cutaway charges for rented gear

So let's review DZ etiquette. Rental rigs are snatched up quickly because they're in short supply. If someone is ahead of you and tells you so, the rig is theirs, no problem. Similarly, if they alert the packers to let others know, same thing. If no other claims exist, the rig needs to be put aside, or someone else grabs it. This has happened to me on a number of occasions. There's always a little confusion, but it usually works itself out.

It is obvious the incident you posted has caused an enormous amount of enmity, especially as described from your standpoint. Absolutely it was an honest error. I apologized to you and the packer. However, when the packer insists a rig was deliberately hidden, I think the jumper has every right to stand up to that accusation, loud and clear. Both sides were angry, both sides raised their voices. Since then, there's a definite attitude on anything that takes place.

But it's difficult to defend accusations once people have made up their minds, especially in your absence. Conclusions are drawn, hard feelings exist and spread. This is evidenced in your post. After a three month layoff, it's wise to jump a rental in a larger size before making a first jump on a new rig with a smaller canopy. I waited three hours for one of the rentals, one of your friends chose not to. My next jump was the first ever on my own rig, to free up the rental for the next person. Spin it any way you choose.

You speak of a sense of family. Families and friends talk about it, and forgive errors. Apologies can be made, but sometimes they're not heard.

***"I am not here to attack you in this post"

So what do you call it then? I know the jumper: cautious, asks questions to learn more, and a good skydiver who can go far in the sport. Even bought a bunch of people lunch the other day. Doesn't seem like the rude type at all. So you had your feathers ruffed because a rig got used before you or one of your friends got it? Grow up and get over it. Doesn't give you or your friends the right to f*#k someone's reputation. Congratulations to the other jumper on getting their own rig so they're off the rental rotation bullshit.

just wait until the "little emperors" of China take up skydiving!
That will be fun to watch!

At least each of them will have four grandparents to pay their bills AND a fast growing economy.

Pack jobs ' deLuxe' - your personal caterer follows you in a golfcart to wherever you happen to land, helps you out of your gear and hands you a refreshment.

(Actually, years ago I saw a precision team from either Dubai or Bahrein. After landing they just undid their straps and dropped everything behind them, on the spot. A subordinate would walk up and pick up the gear. They didn't even look at him...)

But: They are all welcome at my place. Fifty dollars sounds reasonable? B|

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I know the jumper: cautious, asks questions to learn more, and a good skydiver who can go far in the sport.

Very doubtful, after reading the replies on this thread

Even bought a bunch of people lunch the other day. Doesn't seem like the rude type at all.

Did the jumper pay for that food?, I mean, one thing is to "buy" someone lunch and another "pick up" someone's lunch.

Congratulations to the other jumper on getting their own rig so they're off the rental rotation bullshit.

As far as I know, NONE of us when we started skydiving owned a rig, and we had to SHARE equipment with other students or jumpers, if thinking that such "rotation is bullshit" then I see a selfishness problem and skydiving is about sharing, friendship and camaraderie.

And lastly, when the poster has NO PROFILE, makes things look fishy, typical of a troll.

CrazyIvan has spoken...This thread is DONE. :P

Yes, seems kinda typical of a "talkback" kinda thread that gets out of hand and becomes personal...hmm we gonna be losing General Skydiving Discussions next? :|

This thread is ridiculous! Did anyone really learn much?! [:/]

Beth
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

this B licenced individual not useing her own brand new gear because there was not an available packer to pack it for her!

Too funny! Learn to pack please!

Lastly the indivual did not offer to go look for - or even to HELP find the lost equipment as she did not have time to do so both before and after the price of the equiptment was given to her.

Doesn't she know that part of the fun in skydiving is looking for lost treasure! i.e. lost freebags and mains!

Compared to this jumper, I look like prince fucking charming. I've spent hours looking for freebags that don't even belong to me!! It's fun!

I'm suprised this actually happened at Perris!, I was just using it as an example in Post #2.

My opinion is that she should pay dealer cost, not full retail. I'm sure Square 1 gets a pretty good dealer discount.

scott