chopchop

I'd rather...

"Little Boy Blew, he needed the Money."

Geez Chop Chop, you know me, I was a gravity Ho. I did it all. Packing mains, sport rigs, student rigs, tandems, coaching, manifesting, AFF, Video, now rigging but I draw the line at tandems. I know my limits and I will not do tandems.

As for now, I feel like I've paid some dues to get where I am at in the sport with time and $$$ investment. I like now being able to choose what I spend my time doing instead of back when I had 7 jumps and was only worthy to pack.

To be honest, I don't mind spending a day packing sport rigs for friends, although being a full time packer is out for me now. I prefer AFF, Coaching and now rigging is my newest endeavor.

I don't mind shooting video but I prefer to do just video and not stills (just my preference). But I would do any and all of it if I had to.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

There are lots of ways to make money for skydiving. I notice in a previous post you asked about a particular jumper on the back cover of Skydiving Magazine. I think I recognize him as being the same as the one on the wall in the post office, nice reward offered. Can you give me info on his whereabouts? ;)

Ed

Yes we are totally spoiled down here (and I'm only jumping at a medium sized turbine DZ). I hate to say it, but I regret the likelyhood of having to move back to Canada once my work down here is done.

Hey! Nothing wrong with Canada.... if you don't mind Cessna's and snow! :P
Well, if you do have to move back you know Kyla and I are always here for tracking dives.... and I'm thinking road trip to Eloy next Christmas. :) See? It won't be so bad!

To answer the question - I don't see myself doing Tandems, at least not for a LONG time because I small... but I can definitely see myself doing most other things - I already manifest sometimes (when the girl who is actually good at it is away!), pack, and edit video...

Subliminal messaging: Come back Canuck.... we need more people so we can get bigger planes....

Yes we are totally spoiled down here (and I'm only jumping at a medium sized turbine DZ). I hate to say it, but I regret the likelyhood of having to move back to Canada once my work down here is done.

If you come to Vancouver we have medium sized turbines here.

Hey! Nothing wrong with Canada.... if you don't mind Cessna's and snow! :P

What's wrong with snow? We put it all over the mountains so we can play in it. Why you people spread it all over the drop zone and even put it on the roads is beyond me. Isn't that kind of dangerous?

I'm not sure how I would adjust to the winter wet season, but if/when I am forced to come back to Canada (and please fellow Canucks know that I do love my country, it's just that the weather and jumping is better where I am right now), then living in the Vancouver area and jumping at Pitt Meadows is something that could very much happen. Alberta is an awesome province, but I don't know if I could handle jumping at seasonal Cessna DZs. At least I'm under the impression that it is possible to do hop n' pops at Pitt Meadows during your winter wet season right? ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

At least I'm under the impression that it is possible to do hop n' pops at Pitt Meadows during your winter wet season right? ;)

Hey - we were jumping from altitude in November and opened again in February. December and January had too many of us in Eloy! Just wear tons of layers, gloves and liners. :P I've jumped when its been -26 degree celcius at the top... no clue what that translates to for Americans! So, if you're crazy enough you can jump through Alberta winters.

I'm with the monkey. Anything except packing. Packers work hard and get zero respect.
reply]

I'm going to disagree here.. but I am a packer :)

I have been in the sport for 5 years and b/c of DZ politics at my first home DZ was never able to get a job doing anything, even though I wanted it badly.

I moved home DZs and got a job packing right away.. and I love it.

yep. that's right. love it.

me and the other packer work together so that we can get in the air as much as we want to.. we make good money, and I am never disrespected. I also coach on a very regular basis, I have an AFF I deteremined to help me get my AFF rating, and I will be apprenticing this summer to be a rigger.

I look at it as the beginning of being very involved in the sport, and those above me have been exceptional at treating me well and helping me to advance.

so if you're thinking about packing, it's really damn hard work, but not nessecarily thankless work. The people I pack for thank me w/ money and more knowledge.

Blue Skies !

Bryan

D27808

Woohoo!!! 2 practice tandems yesterday which I SUCKED at! Then a couple spec. tandems today both of which sold and they put me on the wheel.. Did 1 more before the tandems were all gone. BUT I officially owe beer for my FIRST paid skydives.. :S I have renewed respect for camera fliers and tandem masters.. :P Weird shit happens. :S
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Chop Chop, you are officially a tandem master???

OMG :D That is the funniest thing I have heard all day! :D

No offense Chop Chop, I know you would make a GREAT tandem master. Hell even I'd go on a tandem with you ... I just never thought I'd see you skydiving for money/haulin meat around. Are you going to take Plaything on a tandem?

Well a Big Fat Congratulations is in order to ya Roy, you got your first rating!!! And BTW, nice picture in Parachutist! Have fun, make lots of $$$ and BE SAFE.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."