Andrewwhyte

Do you still call the DZ where you learned home?

Where I learned home, I always call the DZ. Learning home has been an integral part of my life but I think it's important to keep in touch.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The dz I learned at - Paso Robles, California - was sold when the dzo went in. I left a couple years after that for a job in Perris. There was a plane crash at Paso a couple years later and the "new" dzo ran away... err I mean closed the dz there and moved south.

Paso was home for 6 years or so. Perris was home for 7 years. I'm on my third home dz now.

The shit we witnessed from San Diego area jumpers this week is not unique.

What are you talking about?

Anyway....Air Adventures West in Taft,CA closed down. That is where I learned. Will Renfore (the DZ owner) is now running a school out of Cal City.

Sounds like a better deal for him anyway...all he has to do is purchase slots on the Otter. Bigger profit margin, lower overhead.

My original DZ closed down. But thats ok cuz it was small and we didnt get lots of jumps. So, now Im travellin to different places checkin them all out. I now call West Tennessee Skydiving "home" but this weekend will be the first Ive been there since October. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

The DZ I learned at is no longer around. I have no home :( I tend to travel and do most of my jumping.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My home DZ where I learned is far from perfect (I actually hope they see this). But I jump there for several reasons:

1) It is the closest DZ to where I live.
2) It has the best weather for all the DZs in the state.
3) It has the best landing area in the state.
4) I have friends there to jump with.
5) Since the former DZO's death, some good improvements have been made.

But it is still far from a perfect DZ. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Tn Skydiving Center always my home.
I love Tenn and Tullahoma .Used to be a WW2 Air Base its Big and Great for jumping.
Interesting Things always happening. Including first Jet powered Glider Ive ever seen there..Small Jet but does very good work

Meet some interesting characters there through the years good Folks always Fun.
Ole Dave amazes me everytime i go there
funny Dude..Chris and Dave[Beer]
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I did my first jump in colorado. currently I jump in houston (spaceland) but I will always call richmond (skydive wayne county) home.. thats were I learned and that will always be home base:):)

The shit we witnessed from San Diego area jumpers this week is not unique.

What are you talking about?

I was referring to the ex-Otay/ now Brown Field jumpers sounding off in Training and Safety: Landing Out- Drop Zone Procedures.
Sorry, no make clicky.

I have been back at my original DZ for a year and a half now. After I got off of student status I started going wherever the action was. Lodi, Byron, Montrey. After much jumping at all the DZ's in the Bay Area I found my self calling Monterey home for many years. I subsequently got all of my instructional ratings there and started working every weekend. Over time I started visiting my old Home DZ in Hollister whenever the fog rolled in at Monterey. Slowly but surely I began hanging out at Hollister more and more and am there pretty much every single weekend now. It's nice working side by side and jumping with JM's that had originaly taught me how to skydive. But after going abroad I am back home and I think I will always consider Hollister my first home. It just feels right for me. And well I now have vacation homes in Byron and Monterey;)...

Fun shit this skydiving stuff. I feel at home at almost any DZ though:)

I know the thread...
I think you should see it for yourself...
I jump there, I call Skydive San Diego home but I have no problem jumping anywhere else with my friends.
But there it has an interesting feel about it. There is a lot of history between the owner and Brown and what have you...
It all comes down to personal preference but for me personally I like the jumping but the friends and atmosphere make it really worth while.
Perris has it's cool things and so does Elsinore, and now Brown hs returned, but the dysfunction of home...
Nothing can compare...

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Recently someone described visiting another DZ like "cheating on a significant other." In a way he's right but it really is nice to go somewhere else once in a while and meet new people.

I'll always love my home DZ, the staff is great and I've made some really good friends.

I love all the DZs I have been to all have their pluses and minuses...I went through AFF at Coolidge, and I finished my A at Eloy, both were great. Since then I have been to Buckeye and now that I live in Cali I have been to Perris and Taft, I visited Elsinore, but haven't jumped there yet. I love them all. I guess it just depends on what mood I am in and what family I want to see, when I jump; or how far I want to drive....I call them all home because I have family at all of them....my sky family that is.

I've only jumped at one dz - Elsinore. I now live 300 miles from Elsinore. It'll always be home to me.

Who knows where I'll do most of my jumping in the future? I just cannot imagine calling any other place "home."

It's where the heart is.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What's 'home'? Where I started? Where I train? Where most of my jumping friends are? My favorite DZ? My favorite DZ within a certain radius? Where I voluntarily go when I have an idle weekend? Where I have the most jumps?

FWIW, I still call Skydive San Marcos 'home', although I only jump there maybe half a dozen times a year. It's only 50 miles away, but I travel 250 miles to train in Dallas. I have more jumping buddies in Dallas and Spaceland than San Marcos, but that's mostly because there are so many more jumpers at the larger DZs. I'm sponsored by Skydive Dallas, so of course it's my favorite (this year ;-). If I'm not training, and there isn't an event elsewhere, I'll split my time between several Texas DZs (Spaceland, Dallas, Waller and San Marcos).

Perhaps I don't really have a home DZ. I'm not plugged into all the As The Prop Turns daily drama at any DZ (and isn't that a blessing!), and I get email from three different DZs for current events.

I know: I'm homeless. I'd jump for food, but I haven't found any takers....

Hey Dougeee.. I'd have to agree with ya man.. TN Skydiving Center is a great place to call home.
Its not where I did AFF, but thats because I was "under the influence" of another jumper and didnt know any better.
I still like to jump at the DZ where I did AFF sometimes, but if I had stayed there I know I would have been exposed to a lot more drama and a lot less good information. You guys just took me "under your wing" (sorry for the pun), and turned me in to half-decent flier!
Now get yer butt back out to the DZ before I pass you in jump numbers.. :P