napaguy99

Make 'Em Feel Welcome

This post wasn't getting any attention in "Places to jump" so I thought I would move it here.

I was just updating the ole logger here and came to quite a realization: I have been to 14 dropzones in 8 different states. I was thinking back on my visits to those DZs and what made each one good or bad (but usually great).

The biggest thing that made me like or not like a DZ was the people. I don't care what airplane you jump, how big the landing area is, what your spot is like, or what kind of food you serve. The number one thing that will keep me singing the praises of a DZ is the jumpers.

Of the DZs I have gone to, I went to 7 of them on my own. My favorite DZs were the ones where as soon as I stepped up, somebody came up to me and said "Hi, my name is Jumper Belt Buckle. Welcome to our DZ. What kind of jumping do you do? I want you to meet this guy over here."

Nothing turns me off more than having to introduce myself to other jumpers and pull teeth to get people to talk to me.

The one that sticks out in my mind is Skydive Chicago. I went there with about 100 or so jumps all by my lonesome. When I walked in the door, Roger Nelson came over and greeted me. I think that's great for the DZO of a place that big to notice a new jumper and make them feel welcome. If he could do it, why can't we all?

Here is my point: if you see someone new walking around with a rig, take it upon yourself to talk to that jumper and make them feel welcome. You don't have to personally jump with the person, but I guarantee there is someone at the DZ who would be perfect to jump with him or her.

Blue Skies

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

I couldn't agree more. That is what I love about my DZ. You walk in the door, whether you are a jumper of someone that is there to do a tandem, AFF, or just checking it out from curiosity, you do not hardly get into the door before someone speaks to you, says "Glad to have you", etc etc. Nothing leaves a good and lasting impression on someone more than making them feel welcomed right from the start. I've seen it happen the other way around at other places. Stood/sat around and unless I spoke to someone, no one would have spoke to me, or even noticed that I was there. Even, then, it seemed that they had their own little click, and didn't want to talk to you, either too wrapped up with themselves and what they are doing, or like "your not one of us, so we could care less if you're here or not." Places like that turn me off, and I won't be back to jump at them!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Like most everything else, this has been discussed here before but it is not a bad thing to bring it up again every so often.

I am lucky enough to have 4 Dz`s with-in 1 1/2 Hour drive of my house. Soon as I graduated from AFF, My home DZ was closed for a couple weeks due to Airport Politics. I took that opportunity to visit all the other area DZ`s to see what they had to offer.
The first one I went to, I showed up at 8:00 am Saturday morning and hung out in the Packing area for over 4 hours without ever meeting a single person. Not the vibe I was looking for.
Next I went to a Big DZ south of town. There I did run into a Jumper from Home DZ and hung out with them while I watched a few loads come in. Again I didn’t meet anyone from that DZ. Not even a "Hi, How’s it going".
Finally I went to the area DZ with the worst reputation. Soon as I walked in, A Staff member came up and introduced themselves, gave me a tour of the place and introduced me to several regulars. The landing area scared the hell out of me compared to what I was used to, But the jumpers and staff were friendliest outside of my Home DZ. Just based on that I decided that I would return in the future when I was more comfortable with my canopy skills. The other two, well I would only go back if I went with other jumpers I knew.
My Home DZ is the smallest (number of jumpers, but by far largest landing area) and I could not imagine anyone ever walking up and not meeting every single jumper with-in 30 minutes. It just wouldn’t happen. Some of that may be the size factor. When you have 20 to 30 regular jumpers, it is very easy to notice someone new. At the busier DZ`s it is easy to get lost in the crowd.

This weekend if you see someone you don’t know at your DZ, Say "Hi". It does make a big difference.

Nothing turns me off more than having to introduce myself to other jumpers...

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this attitude. If you feel this way, why can't they? In all seriousness though, when headed to a new DZ, why not make the 5 minute effort to run around and introduce yourself.

On one hand, yah, everyone should put forth that effort to greet someone new. It's an awesome feeling to get that recognition, and to "join in the group". But on the other hand, sometimes people aren't so inclined to talk to the person sulking in the corner, right?

Either way, I say, yah, go meet the new guy. ;)

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this attitude. If you feel this way, why can't they? In all seriousness though, when headed to a new DZ, why not make the 5 minute effort to run around and introduce yourself.

The difference is that its NOT your home turf. It's not comparing apples with apples. The person who is visiting might already feel out of place and need some reassurance to make them feel at home. It's real easy for a person who already jumps there to introduce themself to the new guy, but its very intimidating for the converse.

Imagine you are the visiting football team in a new stadium. Tell me its real easy for you to go introduce yourself to the fans there. I don't know if this is a 100% proper analogy, but I think it captures the idea.

Cheers

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Once again I agree with Napaguy99.

Scenario: A would-be student approaches a DZ. They've been thinking of jumping, but just aren't quite sure yet. Then a regular walks over, intro's, shakes hands and makes that person feel comfortable. Man, that can go a longggg way with introducing a new person to this sport......

New jumpers add to jump plane slots being filled. Jump plan slots being filled adds to DZO pocket. In the long run, this can do a lot with keeping jump ticket prices DOWN..........

It's a big circle...... So, jump up and introduce yourself and flash a big smile....B|

Come to think of it, there are a few DZ's in Texas that could use a little warmer hospitality.........

The one that sticks out in my mind is Skydive Chicago. I went there with about 100 or so jumps all by my lonesome. When I walked in the door, Roger Nelson came over and greeted me. I think that's great for the DZO of a place that big to notice a new jumper and make them feel welcome. If he could do it, why can't we all?

I couldn't agree more about SDC. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet Roger, but I can tell you now that the vibe still stands strong at that dz. I went there last season with sunshine, and the second I walk in the door people are coming up and talking to me. Everyone there was wanting to jump with me, and they were all so relaxed and friendly. I'll definitely be making some trips up there this season.

As for the point of the post, you're absolutely right. I try to make a point out of hanging out with new folks at our dz whenever I see them. I admit, I'm guilty of sometimes staying on the "cool freefly loads" since we get in many more bellyflyers than freeflyers (but I'm working on that....), but any time there's a new freeflyer out there, you can bet your ass I'm gonna offer a jump. It's all about friendliness, good vibes, good people, and a fun and relaxed atmosphere that make a good dropzone.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

The difference is that its NOT your home turf. It's not comparing apples with apples. The person who is visiting might already feel out of place and need some reassurance to make them feel at home. It's real easy for a person who already jumps there to introduce themself to the new guy, but its very intimidating for the converse.

While I think its great to introduce yourself to the new people...The new people have to take some of the responsibility.

You go to a new DZ to meet people...so meet them. Don't expect them to come up to you.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

While I think its great to introduce yourself to the new people...The new people have to take some of the responsibility.

I agree. New people need to walk around the dz and introduce yourself. If there are 200 people jumping, it is not their responsibility to introduce themselves to all the new people.

People who jump at a dz regularly have their own set of people that they jump with.

Generally, people want 2 things. Success and some new challenges. The people that we regularly jump with have a similar level of experience, so the chances of a successful jump are better. We can also add a little challenge to the jump and improve ourselves. If the new guy messes up, it is frustrating.

The best bet is to get with a load organizer. This will allow you to meet people at a similar skill level.

The responsibility for meeting / greeting new jumpers at the DZ falls on whoever is the most outgoing... local jumper OR visitor. Thats just human nature. Not everyone is the same (thank goodness), some of us are by nature or developed habit, not very outgoing. The strengths of each individual should come into play, hopefully offsetting weakness in others, with the goal being a better DZ.

Since the overall vibe of ANY gathering of people tends to emmulate the leader, a successful leader will ensure that conditions condusive to growth and well being are in place...

If you want your DZ to prosper, it would only make sense to make visitors happy_to_be_there. If you want better aircraft/gear/ammenities options, make sure traffic is generating enough cash flow for the DZ (Students/Tandems/Visitors) to provide them. What talents do you have that can contribute to your DZs success?

Finally, as I've said before, there's a Tyrannisaurus Rex in every garden... yeah, yours too. My dropzone isn't perfect, but I love it. I'd like to contribute to it's growth. I'd like it to be there for a very, very long time. It's unrealistic to expect the very meager profit margins on DZ ops to provide modern facilities without decent amounts of traffic.

If your DZ doesn't measure up and you're not helping... guess what, you're likely part of the problem.

It Ain't Rocket Science...

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

Most of the time I can be very shy around people I don't know. I'm not the type to just walk up and say hi. Meeting people can be intimidating.

When I did my FJC at Perris, one person came up and said hello (thanks, Albatross!). He was the only person outside of my instructor that I talked to all day.

After my instructors figured out I was sticking around and actually going to finish AFF, they started to introduce me to people.

Everyone out at Perris is either very busy LOing, dirt diving, packing, etc, or just hanging out in large groups (large groups are scary when you're shy!). If you want to say hi, its almost like you have to interrupt people from whatever they're doing.

Elsinore was very different. When I got there, just off AFF and wanting to do a coach jump, I was standing around for a few minutes, and I guess I looked a little lost. Karl came over and introduced himself to me and took me around to meet the staff and some other jumpers. The staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I had people coming up to me and saying "Hi! I don't know you!" and introducing themselves. It was a very pleasant experience and I had a lot of fun jumping that day.

Two DZs, two very different attitudes towards newbies.

The staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I had people coming up to me and saying "Hi! I don't know you!" and introducing themselves. .

So you understand how important that first "hello" can be....

In between flying loads, on an occasional pee break, I would find the "lost" people and introduce myself, if manifest or DZO hadn't. Some just wanted to watch, others became customers.B|

Dude, you are so right. Hollister, CA was especially good at this - and still is unless things have changed drastically since my departure.

THe people - not the view or aircraft - make the DZ.

Vinny the Anvil
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

The only thing that has changed dramatically since your departure, Vinnie, is that we can leave the training trampolines out in the open again, and Andy hasn't had to threaten anyone with the fire extinguisher...yet. ;)

I spent an hour last night talking to the two 10K tandem students we took out of the Cessna at sunset. They are out here from New York, will probably never be back to Hollister, and most likely will never jump again. I spent that time for two reasons: because they were really nice people and had a ton of questions about what they'd just experienced, and because they're going to talk to a bunch of other people and, I hope, tell them what a great place Hollister is. They'll probably tell them to avoid the old bald guy because he never knows when to shut the fuck up, but at least they'll know we're friendly...

While I agree that DZ folks should make an effort to talk to newbies and visting jumpers (especially staff folks), Ron's got a point, too...sometimes getting out and introducing yourself breaks the ice and gets people talking to you. And that's usually all it takes to get the hot skydives started.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Out of the 3 places I did tandems, only one (the last one, and the one I'm doing AFF at) took the time to acknowledge my existance.

This is the prime reason why I'm doing AFF at Jumptown. I think alot of it has to do with buisiness practices. The first place I jumped at fit into the 'tandem factory' category, and I didn't get anyone to say 'hi' - the TM didn't even offer information to me when I mentioned I wanted to go again (isn't that a sign that maybe this person would like AFF and I should give them some information?). The second place was going through legal troubles, and as such, couldn't accept me (as I have some medical liability attached to me), even with my drs. note.

Jumptown, on the other hand, is a club. At my FJC last night our instructor (who is totally awesome!) start with "We are a teaching dropzone, much like a teaching hospital...". What a refreshing change!

I don't think its the people so much, as it is the 'vibe' that the DZO is allowing to be perceived.

I'm fairly outgoing, I'll say HI to folks if they look lost/confused etc. but not vice versa. I hope someone would do the same for me at a new place.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

You go to a new DZ to meet people...so meet them. Don't expect them to come up to you.

I have to disagree with you here Ron. While I do agree visiting jumpers need to make an effort, I think jumpers at their home DZ should try to make visiting jumpers feel welcome. I have been to over 15 DZ's in the last few years and have encountered everything from jumpers coming up to me immediately upon my arrival and inviting me on a jump, all the way to me making an effort and saying hello and being ignored by a few different people.

I even left one DZ after only making 2 solo jumps because the jumpers were so cliquish and into each other they barely noticed me even after I introduced myself several times. I look at it this way, if you came to my house or place of business, I would go out of my way to make you feel welcome because it is the Classy thing to do. I have no time for people who have a "it's up to you to break into our little clique" attitude and will not return to a DZ where that attitude prevails.

Completely agree with you! I only started skydiving 7 months ago and have since been to 6 dzs! My mate stopped jumping shortly after getting cat 8 (long story!) but I had to go by myself, didnt know anyone in the UK who jumped (I had done AFF abroad)....

The first dz I ever went to over here after I graduated were probably the reason I still jump now, they were so friendly and helpful and put me at ease. Just last week I went to a big DZ for the first time and within 5 minutes of me arriving the DZO had come and said hello, and offered me a slot on the next load...it makes all the different and I am going back 2moro! :)
I run my uni skydive club and I know nothing is more helpful for students just starting than having a friendly face to chat to, or being approached by others...

So...I will try even, even harder to make people feel welcome, becuse if people hadn;t done it for me, I would have given up!

Beth x
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

I have to disagree with you here Ron. While I do agree visiting jumpers need to make an effort, I think jumpers at their home DZ should try to make visiting jumpers feel welcome. I have been to over 15 DZ's in the last few years and have encountered everything from jumpers coming up to me immediately upon my arrival and inviting me on a jump, all the way to me making an effort and saying hello and being ignored by a few different people.

Well, OK.

All I'm saying is at a Big DZ..If you don't take advantage of some of the LO's and such...I would not expect people to notice you.

On a big DZ we might have 50 new people on a weekend.

Its not hard to walk up to manifest and ask for a group to play with..Or do it while getting a gear check.

But don't sit around quietly and expect people to come up and say hi....On a mid to small size DZ its easy to notice the new guy...Not so easy at a big DZ...

A friend of mine told me once...The best way to make friends at a new DZ...Show up the night before with a case of cold beer.

You want to have fun...You need to be proactive...Not just sit and wait for people to ask you what you want to do...

Nothing good in life comes from just sitting around and waiting for it...Make it happen.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Its not hard to walk up to manifest and ask for a group to play with..Or do it while getting a gear check.

I agree with napaguy and Ron.

Here's why.

I am generally pretty outgoing as long as I have one person with me I know. That gets me opened enough to talk and start conversation with other people. If I go to a new place without knowing anybody prio, I tend to be very shy. Then I just sit around and watch everything going on. It is intimidating to walk up to people you do not know. You feel intrusive. So it is nice when someone who is a local comes up and says "Hi, I've never seen you before." It helps break the ice and can only benefit the DZ by making sure a visitor enjoys their time there.

ON THE OTHER HAND, you already have to go to maifest anyway, so why not say to manifest, "Look, I am new here and do not know anybody. Can you introduce me to someone who would like to jump with a stranger?"

I did this at Deland and the dude in manifest used the PA system to help me hook up with people to jump with. I had a great time and enjoyed the day with three people I would not have had the opportunity to know otherwise.

My point? I have none. I never do:S.

No, I am kidding. My point is that if as locals we take the time to see everyone rather than be self-centered, we could make someone's visit to our DZ a great experiance and have a great time ourselves with someone new. AND as visitors, if we break out of our shell even just enough to talk to manifest, who we already have to talk to, we may find our visit to even the busiest DZ's, that much more friendly.

If we all remember both sides and try to follow this simple advice, there would never be a problem.B|

On any given weekend at SDC we can have just as many new people show up - from fun jumpers to tandems. I know the first time I showed up there, Roger ran into me in the parking lot and walked me to manifest. Others now do that - Rook, Missy, Donovan, and anyone else that is a staff member there. This attitude has spilled over to everyone else and if we see anyone lurking about and they are not a familiar face, they will get an introduction and an offer of help or directions.

It is a bit easier at times - the building is large enough that most of the tandem students are never near the freefly or belly area, the spectators are out at the tables watching landings, and that leaves plenty of space for fun jumpers to gather without interuption - and it makes it easy to see a new face.

You will often find jumpers walking new faces directly to a LO that will be in the same skill area as the guest.

The same thing happened to me the first time I went to Hinkley - the DZO nearly greeted me at my car, and showed me where everything was - and pointed me towards the LO. When it looked like there wasn't enough people to put the plane up, he sent it up with just two jumpers since he heard I had never jumped a Porter before! Needless to say that impressed the hell out of me.

I can always find a DZ that has a nice plane, good LOs, etc....but if the people are not as nice, it just isn't as much fun going there....and usually will not get repeat business from me.

The first DZ I ever went to was a small one, I arrived first thing in the morning, second only to the DZO. The first thing he said to me was "Don't park on the grass mate, just park off to the side of the road there." That's an original greeting.
After that the only people I talked to for the whole weekend was the two JM's for my AFF and a fellow student. This was before I discovered DZ.COM and I figured that the sport was one where Cliques and exclusive groups were the norm.
Out of all the other weekends I spent there, only one other person took the time to introduce themselves to me. I'm not an outgoing kind of person so wasn't able to take it upon myself to break into the obvious groups that had been formed long before my arrival.

The Second DZ I went to was arguably one of the largest in the country. Initially no-one was there to greet me or show me around, but I managed to find my own way to the lounge and saw what seemed to be a family there, sitting nervously and quietly. I said hi and asked them what they were there for. The guy said he brought his son and daughter there to do a Tandem and were waiting for the first load of the day. We got to chatting for a bit about skydiving and other bits, and then he asked if I was an instructor there. I thought that was really funny not having passed AFF student status yet.
Anyway, the point is that sitting there, chatting to those people seemed to relax them until the Tandem Masters came in to brief the newbies.
Having someone to start a genuine conversation with me at a new DZ, rather than getting a passing "Looking forward to your first jump?" question, walking off not waiting for a response of more than one word is all I would ask.

The third DZ I went to, forget about it. After introducing myself and why I was there, I sat outside in the packing area for just over 2 hours before somebody said a word to me. Talk about making someone feel like they didn't belong there. :S
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

I see where NapaGuy is coming from.... PLUS think of it like this.... you being the "new guy" (or girl) and you walk around introducing yourself & ask to get on a 4-way. I could picture the group being a bit hesitant to accept because WHO KNOWS THIS PERSON'S EXPERIENCE LEVEL?! (and rightfully so). However, the group *might* accept the newbie because they want to welcome him/her to the DZ

I think it would seem less on-the-spot for the 4-way to approach the newbie, strike up a conversation, and invite him/her for a jump after making a conscious effort to know the person's skill level. I would think it would be more safety-conscious for the home team to approach the newbie as opposed to the other way around....

...but that's just a blind assumption on my part :)

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

PLUS think of it like this.... you being the "new guy" (or girl) and you walk around introducing yourself & ask to get on a 4-way.

What you say makes sense from the perspective of "the" new guy. You are saying it as if there is only one new guy.

Here is my perspective. At my dz, there was over 65,000 jumps made last year. During the season, there is over 200 people camping in the parking lot from who-knows-where. Another 100 in town or trailers. During Christmas, we fly 3 Otters back-to-back.

Are you going to personally greet 300 people? (Also, 300 is a hugely conservative number.)

We generally have 30 tandems on a Sunday. These come with an SO and another friend. There is also another 100 locals from town who come out to watch. I can hardly keep track of the regular jumpers.

Here is the solution. The new guy walks up to manifest and asks for a load organizer. We generally have 3 organizers for flatflyers. Varying degrees of skill level and challenge. The load organizers also make announcements. " is on load 5 if you want to be organized."

The guy needs to take some initiative, we are adults.

I also organize for the Muff Brothers at the convention. We do whatever the group wants. Rafts, inflatables, small-ways. Easy, tough, weird. We make announcements over the loudspeakers all day long.

If the new person is an attractive woman, they should come find me personally. I'm just here to help. :ph34r:

I can relate to this too.
I have only 20 something jumps myself. Although a few of you will laugh when reading the next line, I have to say that I am painfully shy when I first meet people. I very rarely go up to people first, and I can be blamed for being one of the ignorant people at the DZ. But honest to GOD, I am not being ignorant, my belly is doing flip flops because I am scared to talk to you. So I am sorry for not saying hello, and yet, at the same time...Please say hello to me:(

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after