sistaluv

compressed vertibrae,will it effect me in future skydives?

well its been over a year and last summer I did two jumps and did wicked on both. The jump didn't affect my back at all and the landing was perfect on both. I normally was the queen of plf because i didn't want to hurt my knee (replaced ACL ) but now it was my back and I perfected my landing and was right in target and tippy toed in!!
Unfortunatly in November I got into a car accident and this girl blew a stop sign and fractured my T9-10 vertibrae and got whiplash.I'm feeling better now but wow, I believe you can get hurt more on the ground than High in the sky in my happy place.! I don't know if I can jump this summer, doctor said no more or I can be paralized, but he is against it all together which makes me wonder.Any advice would be appreciated.

Blue Skies and Terminal Memories 4 Life

About 5 years ago I compressed a vertebra. It took me a couple of years to find a doc who would sign me off to go jumping but since then I have had no dramas - til 3 days ago. Jumping in the tunnel I landed on my head and have suffered a compression fracture in 2 vertebrae. Am seriously annoyed as came out to the States to get good for the upcoming season and will now miss a chunk of it. The only piece of advice I can give is make sure you have good medical insurance - you never know know when you will need it, oh and morphine is not all it is cracked up to be. [:/] [:/]:|
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I also have an L5/S1 herniation. I have found that stretching daily is a big help, but as far as jumping goes, the activity itself seems to be good for me. It provides symetric exercise and can help with flexibilty.

The best thing I have found to do during a jump is to relieve my back of the opening shock. I do this by grabbing my risers immediately after pulling (once the lines extend but before the canopy is open) and lifting some of the weight off of the leg straps. This way, your arms act like shock absorbers and prevent your spine from being excessively compressed.

Shane