Blahr

What should packers take upon themselves?

good lord, nothing like blowing something completely out of proportion!!!
did you ever think that maybe, just maybe. whoever packed it could pack a little tighter then you, thereby necessitating the loop be shortened???

The packers know better than the guys that designed, tested the shit out of, and built the Vector 3 M? The same guys that invented the 3 ring release, skyhook, and numerous other things that we all use every day?

The PACKERS might know better than the guys at RWS?!?

Sorry man, I dont buy that for one second. Its absurd.

no, the packers dont, BTW 2 OUT OF THE 3 full time packers ARE RIGGERS. and the other one has thousands of packjobs.

but they do however know better then YOU.

If the rest of you are ok with it, fine.
Its your rig and your ass.

:D:ph34r::D thats cute, it must be great to sit infront of your computer and badmouth people.

the packers at crosskeys are some of the best at what they do, and would be happy to address any concerns you have in person.

btw, i like riggerrobs post, its funny:D

Dude, relax.

I didnt badmouth anyone. I simply passed on a piece of info about something a packer did to my rig.
I posted about it here to see if it was common practice.
The consesus is that it IS a common practice so I engaged in a discussion about whether or not the packers should be making adjustments to peoples equipment without telling them they had done so.

I'm not understanding why you see a problem in that. Is that not what these forums are for?

I LIKE all the packers I meet there. Even YOU, for gods sake ;)B|
You have personally packed my rig on several occasions. No mal so far!
BTW, what the hell are you doing up at 4:30 in the AM??
All very cool guys and gals. They work hard and can pack far faster than I can.

I just want them to TELL me if they change something because in this particular instance, I knew better than they did how that closing loop should be.

You think I dont need to know when someone changes something on my rig? I'll bet you would have wanted to know.

My packer a few weeks ago flagged me down as I was walking by and said "hey, you need a new closing loop. I'm going to replace it for you, k?" I said "cool! Thanks!" and he got a bigger tip than ususal for the service. Had he not told me about it, I wouldn't have known to toss in the extra cash because he went above just packing the gear.

I read what you posted and still stand by my statement. On whole (meaning the majority of the rigs) this may be considered a safety factor. We must take it upon ourselves to make sure our gear is prepared the way we want. Instructions are probably a good idea if you knew that your rig was different than most as said by the manuf. recommendations.

I never said the packers knew more. I was saying that on whole this is the case.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

OK, I'm replying to my original post here rather than any one particular reply.

The number of folks that seem to have taken offense to this thread make it clear to me that perhaps I have not clearly stated the purpose of the thread.

Its not now, nor was it ever, my intention to offend anyone or to point fingers at any particular packer or DZ.

Perhaps if I define MYSELF a bit better it will help.

I am a control freak. This need to control doesnt extend to other people but only to myself and any circumstances (or piece of equipment) that might affect me in any way.
I dont feel comfortable with people making decisions
FOR me that are "for my own good" without my knowledge or consent.
I didnt like it when my parents did it years ago, I dont like it when my government does it, and I dont want my packers doing it either.
Its nothing personal.

Its very clear from the replies I have received that this kind of thing is standard operating procedure and that no matter who packed the rig or what drop zone I was jumping, I would likely have had the same thing happen.

The fact is I am young in the sport even though I started almost 15 years ago. I was away for a long time and only recently returned.

Why would a self proclaimed control freak hand his rig over to a packer? Thats easy. I didnt know that this was the norm. I thought packers did just that. Pack. Maybe change a broken rubber band. Thats it. I didnt think they were doing anything more than that.

I DID intend to start a healthy debate over whether or not this practice is a good thing, but I definitely did NOT want to make anyone feel as if I was personally attacking them or their procedures.

As far as I can see at this time, it was a good thing because I learned something new that is an important
piece of information.
Maybe some other people learned something new about the Vector 3M and wont take it for granted that all rigs should close the same way. That would also be a good thing wouldnt it?

To those of you who were offended, I'm sorry I wasnt clear enough in my original intent.

Blue Skies

Blahr is now defunct. I always thought that it was a stupid name anyway. Now that I'm no longer a pooh-bah it doesnt seem theres any more reason to hang onto the name B|

I've created this new account so you can send any nasty notes to ChrisL rather than Blahr

PS. Football is still dumb :S
__

My mighty steed

Packers need to ask questions as well. Most DZs tend to stay with the same group of rigs. We are mostly a Javelin and Vector DZ and the first time I saw a Racer, Talon, and Reflex I had to ask the owner a few questions about them.

The same thing just happened but my packer gave me a lecture on closing loop length and possible malfunctions that could happen, like a horseshoe. He made the change while I was there and explained a lot. I also explained my side since I could never close my container and made the length just enough for me to barely get my pin in. He told me that I really need to be careful but he understood and he even left it a little longer. It was actually a great learning experience.

I think if you havea good packer it would be pretty standard for them to replace worn loops and bands. I know a guy that packs for a boogie in Eloy and brings a bunch of closing loops with him. I also don't think they want to be blamed for a premature or a broken loop when it is there pack job. Especially as they can usually pack tighter than the average bear. Some will tell you some won't.

~Chachi

As a packer and a rigger, I applaud the extra effort that your packer put into closing your rig. The easiest thing that your packer could have done was to notice the problem and ignore it. However, your packer was concerned about your life and took extra steps to try to prevent you having any injuries. Your packer probably has a much neater pack job than you, and this resulted in the closing loop being too long for that particular pack job.

This has happened to me many times, and whenever I feel that the excessive length of the closing loop has become an issue, I change it! I try to remember to tell the owner of the rig, but sometimes I am just too busy... probably because I spent my extra minute fixing your rig so that you would not have any problems on the airplane or in the sky.

If I had a customer get pissed at me because I put some extra effort into their pack job to try to prevent a horseshoe (probably the scariest malfunction in my opinion) then I probably wouldn't be their packer anymore.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I expect my packer to shorten, replace or lengthen my closing as they see fit. If I don't trust them, they don't pack for me.

Change in climate can change how my canopy packs up. Example, if I go from a dry climate to a humid climate, my main packs up smaller and my closing loop appears/is too long and vice versa.

Don't sweat it. Most packers are really looking out for your best interest cause if you get hurt or get a bad pack job, you probably won't give them any more of your business.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.