Hummusx

Health insurance

I'm trying to find out what people's opinions are on health insurance. I'm a pretty healthy guy. It's been probably 3 years since I went in to the doctor's for anything. I view my medical insurance as a purely emergency type of thing. What I'm wondering about is what kind of cost would be involved if I had a serious skydiving accident. I haven't had a major injury since I was a kid, so I don't really even know what ballpark we are talking about. $10k? $50k? More? If something like that were to happen, what kind of difference is a $2k vs $5k deductible going to make?

My broken ankle is around 30K now and I still have more PT and probably another surgery in a few months to remove hardware. That's for the ER, the OR, an overnight hospital stay, follow up care, PT and a 2nd surgery to remove "temporary" screws. (and that's just what the insurance company paid out- insurance companies pay a negotiated amount which is often considerably less than what we get billed!)

My broken pelvis cost me $35,000.00 WITHOUT surgery. That was 10 years ago.

Blue Cross offers catastrophic insurance that is reasonable. The deductable is high, but at least you won't be out 35 - 250K if the day comes....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Be easy on yourself. Get a $2 million from Blue Cross and be done with it. A full coverage 80/20 was $125/month, but just the accident and hospitalization was about $75 for me (31 yr non-smoker).

That would cover anything like a break or a sickness that required admission, but not routine stuff.

Please, don't be one of those guys that screws himself in without insurance.

I had a spinal fusion performed in december,1998 L-4/S1 JUST the anesthesia bill was 10,500 dollars. Now,you tell me if its worth it. My wife is an advanced practice trauma nurse-the average trauma case is 250KPLUS. If you don't plan on a future-who could need insurance.Just my 2 cents.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL