swoosh

Naked at Eloy

An article that actually used the f-word???

It was actually a good article. Painted a good picture of the faces we know and love!!!:)
Sorry, bets, that there was some fabrication involved, but the conversation with Ash definitely sounded plausible. And, the descriptions of you, Omar, and Amy seemed right on. I mean that in the only way possible - good!:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

The national driving fatality rate is 1.56 per 100 million vehicle miles, as listed in “2003 Injury Facts” compiled by the National Safety Council. That number is based on 2002 data. NSC also reports a driving fatality rate of 15.7 per 100,000 population.

The national skydiving fatality rate is 25 per 2 million jumps, as reported by USPA for 2003. That’s 1,250 skydiving fatalities per 100 million jumps. USPA data also shows 25 jumpers died among 32,628 USPA members, giving a fatality rate of about 77 fatalities per 100,000 population.

Hrmmm. check my math

1.56 deaths / 100,000,000 miles = 0.0000000156 deaths per mile
I drive 34,000 miles per year so.
34,000 m/y * 0.0000000156 d/m = 0.0005304 deaths per year of driving

25 deaths / 2,000,000 jumps = 0.0000125 deaths per jump
I jump 100 times per year so
100 j/y * 0.0000125 d/j = 0.00125 deaths per year of jumping

Looking at my rate of exposure, I'm 2 times more likely to die while skydiving than driving. If I jumped more it would raise the exposure & risk obviously

32k skydivers doing 2M jumps/year = 61 jumps/year I am a bit above average.

I can live with that (pun intended)

Found this while surfing Yahoo tonight, comments??

Man I wish I was back there again...Eloy, I miss you!!! :(

Painted blue across my eyes
And tied the linen on
And I'm on my way
Looking for the paradigm
So I can pass it off
Is it on my side

Is to the sky
Looking to the sky and down
Searching for a ground
With my good eye closed

If I took you for a ride
Would you take it wrong
Or would you make it right
Looking for a pedestal
That I can put you on
And be on my way

Is it to the sky
Looking to the sky and down
Searching for a ground
With my good eye closed

Stop you're trying to bruise my mind
I can do it on my own
Stop you're trying to kill my time
It's been my death since I was born
I don't remember have the time
If I'm hiding or I'm lost
But I'm on my way

I know a lot of enthusiastic young people who would love to skydive but as the sport has evolved they have been priced out of it. That's a shame. Wish we as a community could figure out a way to bring costs down.
CDR

I have to disagree with you. I made my first jump at the end of my 18th year, and I was licensed 4 months later.
I was a high school drop out doing room service at a hotel, paying my own rent and car payment at the time. I still made it happen, paying about 1400 total for my training.

I sacrificed other things, mainly dating :)
I never once considered it cost prohibitive, moreso a when there's a will there's a way sort of thing.

and now, I do have a job at a dropzone, but only because I would rather make my money doing something associated w/ what I love than anything else.

and so now, after I get my associate's degree in 2 weeks, I am going to cut away for the summer and live at the DZ !

I could not be happier, albeit somewhat aprehensive about the change.

Blue Skies !
Bryan

D27808 Coach

bbarnhouse What were some inaccuracies

First off, Skydive Arizona did NOT have 6 fatalities in a year.
In the course of 4 years x 140,000 jumps per year we have had 2 fatalities. (you can do the math)
To say that 6 fatalities in a year is an acceptable level is ludicrous, even given the volume of jumps. ANY fatality is unacceptable.
Sorry but the instructor comments didn't happen, some of the quotes by me were never expressed. Furthermore if you see the guy naked ...that didnt happen either...he was wearing a speedo.
I could continue to list the discrepancies, but that would take more time than I currently care to invest in regard to that article.
B2

***Hrmmm. check my math

1.56 deaths / 100,000,000 miles = 0.0000000156 deaths per mile
I drive 34,000 miles per year so.
34,000 m/y * 0.0000000156 d/m = 0.0005304 deaths per year of driving

25 deaths / 2,000,000 jumps = 0.0000125 deaths per jump
I jump 100 times per year so
100 j/y * 0.0000125 d/j = 0.00125 deaths per year of jumping
Looking at my rate of exposure, I'm 2 times more likely to die while skydiving than driving. If I jumped more it would raise the exposure & risk obviously

This is all fine and dandy but it fails to take into account a few things.

1.) How many of the deaths in automobiles are caused by equipment failure vs. in Skydiving?

2.) How many deaths in automobiles involve drugs or alcohol vs. in Skydiving?

3.) How many automobile deaths involve the death of a person who did not cause the accident vs. in Skydiving?

4.) How many deaths in an automobile were caused because the person was thinking they could push the extremes vs. in Skydiving?

5.) How many deaths in autombiles occur because of natural disasters vs. in Skydiving?

The list is endless but these are important concepts that actuarians(sp?) take into account when they determine risk for insurance companies.

We can oversimplify things all we want and we can make the numbers say whatever we want but there are so many variables that come into play that I have never seen considered in this topic each time it comes up that no answer is truly accurate or complete.

So to say you are only 2 times as likely to die skydiving vs driving may not be acurate. It could be more, it could be less.

First off, Skydive Arizona did NOT have 6 fatalities in a year.

You would do well to write a quite note to the editor. These are the kinds of mistakes that can give a dropzone a bad reputation, but more importantly, they're the kinds of mistakes that editors will publish "corrections" in a future article.

The last thing you guys want is anywhere near the kinds of bad publicity thats been common up here in Chicago. I'd be quick to jump on any corrections necesary....

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

You wanna know about bad press from Whuffo reporters?? Try jumping in Calgary!! [:/]

I will be seeing two whuffo Calgarians (my brother and sister) in a couple of weeks and I'm sure they will likely mention something about the inquiry currently going. Rest assured I will set the straight so that they know we skydivers must be responsible for ourselves up there and not rely on the Feds to be looking out for us (like the whole inquiry mess seems to be heading).

As far as this thread is concerned. It's unfortunate if some critical information (like the fatalities) is wrong. But I enjoyed reading it. Having been just in Eloy less than one week ago, I really enjoyed reading about the different people at the DZ and comparing how they were perceived in the article with how well I know their characters. I got into Ricardo's who story (the guy who swore several times) because it was this time last weekend when he, myself and a few others were shooting the shit outside the Bent Prop one night and I can just picture him saying the same things he said to me to the reporter who interviewed him.

So I enjoyed the article ... but I guess it's different if you have a closer relationship to the DZ like Betsy and Gordo do.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

OOH OOH OOH
My dreams of being a groupie have come true.....my boyfriend is the unnamed DJ spinning techno on the 4th or 6th page......

Orgasms in freefall......sounds to me like a bad pick up line but I guess I could be wrong.

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

I know a lot of enthusiastic young people who would love to skydive but as the sport has evolved they have been priced out of it. That's a shame. Wish we as a community could figure out a way to bring costs down.
CDR

I have to disagree with you. I made my first jump at the end of my 18th year, and I was licensed 4 months later.
I was a high school drop out doing room service at a hotel, paying my own rent and car payment at the time. I still made it happen, paying about 1400 total for my training.

I sacrificed other things, mainly dating :)
I never once considered it cost prohibitive, moreso a when there's a will there's a way sort of thing.

It's not so expensive that it is unreachable. It is expensive enough that most can't casually decide 'what the hell?' I did see a bachelor party once at the DZ where only the groom jumped, the rest paid $20 each for an observer ride. I suspect they were saving their money for the strippers.

When I was 23 I bought a new toyota 4x4 pickup for some $19,000 on a $11/hr campus job. I could and should have have gotten something used and simpler. Insurance was 1600-2300/yr until I got a bit older. That would have freed up more than enough money to jump, but as a young guy I wanted the truck.

Skiing costs per season are pretty steep - $50lift tickets, hotel rooms, and some gear purchases add up past $1000/yr. The first 4 scuba dives usually cost one about $500. So you pick your poison, or your Visa card!

I could continue to list the discrepancies,

No suprise, the new times is a rag, has been since I picked one up in the early '80s.

Be glad they didn't claim to see an outline of the devil in the dirt on the bottom of the pool.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It is expensive enough that most can't casually decide 'what the hell?'

I dont think this is a bad thing either. Its expensive enough that some people will look into what they get for their money, what tarining is like, the different schools, etc... But its still now outrageously expensive enough that student can still participate.
Remster