MaStAdJ

Is skydiving really worth entertainment even though that you can get killed?

Chad,

Skydiving has been my dream since I was five and saw my first demo jump.

It took me until I was 32 to do it. Now that I am doing it I will definitely say that to me it is worth it. Risk vs Reward is something that each person has to evaluate for themselves. Even if I say it is worth it, does not mean you will.

But, if the fire burns in you to do it, you will never quench it until you try it. If you don't like it, it will be quenched. If you don't do it you will always wonder. That was unacceptable to me and finally I sucked up the cost and did it. BUT, be warned, if you love it, you will never quench the fire. From the first second in the air I knew it was worth it. So now my fire burns hotter. Each day I am not in the air I feel out of place.

I agree with what Bytch said. Save up as much as you can, be prepared to spend quite a bit on getting your license and gear. You have time to get jobs and save up for it. I also think you should inform your parents slowly, so that when you do do it they are not shocked and freaked. Give them time to get used to it. Share with them the things you learn about the sport. Learn how canopies and rigs work, the licensing requirements, the things that those who participate are doing to improve safety.

Then get videos and show them how much fun it is. (I would avoid anything with any negative stuff for now.)

Good luck, blue skies.

Gotta register to post, not to read. You don't know how long he's really been here. Nothing about this thread says "troll" to me. We do fall between 100 and 300 mph, through the atmosphere. Funny wording is allowed here. And I'm a 24 year old kid!

Dave

Gotta register to post, not to read. You don't know how long he's really been here. Nothing about this thread says "troll" to me.

Well it does to me...You don't have to agree.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hey Chad,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and believe that you are who you say you are and, since either way your question has no negative intent I'll answer it. ;):P

Hell yeah it's worth it!!! Everything in life has some sort of risk factor. You must accept the risk and take every safety precaution... and then just live life.

I've alwasy been fascinated with flight. There are a lot of threads on here that talk about why people got started. Use the search button and look around. You'll find some interesting answers.

As far as gear... you left Javelin off your original list. That's what I've jumped all along and have no complaints.

If your interest is sincere then that is great that you are jumping in so early. Follow Burbleflyer's advice and go hang out at the dz. Become a dz rat. Go get some experience in the wind tunnel. Learn as much as you can. You'll be way ahead of the game when you are old enough to do AFF.

Good luck! :)Liz

Gotta register to post, not to read. You don't know how long he's really been here. Nothing about this thread says "troll" to me.

Well it does to me...You don't have to agree.

Yep, your right, we don't:P.

Actually, as this was a non-controversial topic, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I had thoughts that it was just someone having fun. Choose to ingore those thoughts though.

Definately I know kids like this. My daughter, who is 12, is very mature and because she reads a LOT (Did I say a LOT?! Above high school level?) is always using 'grown up' words. I tease her about it because she tries to sound older then she is sometimes I think. I guess that's why she does it. She uses them properly though, so whatever. And ALL she thinks about is skydiving and talking on forums, so I'm sure she'd be chatting with you guys here if I'd let her (yeah right! ;)) OH, and she's not allowed to put ANY information about herself when she registers on sites, like these other boards she talks on. So yup, he could be genuine.

Now Chad, that's kinda a personal question, whether it's worth it. I'm with most everyone else, I wouldn't be spending the money it requires if it wasn't. As far as is it worth your life or what you family might go through if something happens, THAT is the personal part. *I* say yes for a lot of reasons and even though I'm 'a grown-up' (mostly) my mom still hates me jumping, so your parents might NEVER understand. Sorry. [:/]

Pammi

Definately I know kids like this. My daughter, who is 12, is very mature and because she reads a LOT (Did I say a LOT?! Above high school level?) is always using 'grown up' words

Yes and he might be real...The real question was raised with as I emailed him:

You asked a group of participants in a sport if it was worth doing...Thats like going to a young Republicans meeting and asking if you should vote for Bush. What did you think we were going to say "Stay away its a really stupid sport...In fact I don't know why I do it?"

Kinda like asking the Dodge dealer if I should buy a Dodge or a Ford.

Plus most of his questions could be answered with a search.

Like I said, Im not slamming the guy, I just had my doubts..as did others..I just have nothing better to do than surf this site.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Is skydiving really worth entertainment even though you can get killed?

Everyone who wants to jump needs to come to grips with their own mortality. Once they are okay with this, then they can take the next step, seek training and start jumping. As humans we're all going to die one day. It could be today, it could be tomorrow, next week, next month or hopefully years from now. But nobody gets out of here alive. The important thing in this sport is not to do too many stupid things and you have a chance of surviving. But as many have said before me, you can do everything right on a jump and still die. That's not to say that we're dropping like flies. But people do die. Have you accepted your mortality? With all due respect, you're likely too young to know where I'm coming from here.

Is it worth it? Hmmm ... if you'd like to try a fun, exhilarating, challenging thing where you are constantly going through new experiences and for the most part meeting some really cool people along the way. They hell YES it's worth it. Just be known that this is an extremely addictive sport with a very high price. Once you are old enough, go do a tandem to experience it, but do not get into this sport unless you've got some $$$ or you are willing to work in the business (meaning that you will never have a lot of spare change).

Good luck with what it is you do in life.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Ask yourself this Question?If you know that 50% of marriages end in divorce would you still get married?Skydiving is like most high risk sports.You manage the risks!If you know where you need to get out of the plane(get out there).Freefall,then start the opening sequence.It will either open or not?If not, follow "Exactly" your training for that malfunction.Open your reserve.Not that complicated.

>Kinda like asking the Dodge dealer if I should buy a Dodge or a Ford.

I think it's kinda like asking a surgeon if you should become a surgeon. Most of them will tell you no, it's not worth it. "Become a surgeon only if you're willing to walk through a pond of flaming poo to get to the next surgery," as one resident in Massachusetts put it.

When people ask me if they should skydive, if I think it's worth the risk, I don't answer yes or no. It's a dangerous sport; a pregnant woman or single mother might not want to risk her children in that way. Someone with no common sense or someone who's bad under pressure should probably not jump.

Why don't you try a wind tunnel first. I don't know the min age but I'm pretty sure it is a lot lower than skydiving. It's not exactly the same thing but is still a cool experience (that I have never done:(, but I get to do the real thing:P). You live in Cali? get you ass down to Perris Valley Boy!;) anyone who wants to add tunnel info for the "little man" feel free to do so.

Chad-

There is inherent risk in everything you do. You need to do a personal risk/benefit analysis and see if the benefits outweigh the risks for you.

For example, I skydive, but have decided that BASE jumping (jumping off buildings, antennas, bridges, cliffs, etc) is too risky for me.

Other people decide that skydiving is too risky.

Me, now I'd rather take a few risks than die at 90 years old regretting that I'd never really lived life.

Its up to you to decide whether the benefit outweighs the risk. Only you can make that call for yourself.

Plus most of his questions could be answered with a search.

Yeah, probably so. As with most threads on this site, they've been redone over and over in the 4 years I've hung around. I, personally, am too lazy to search for everything I want to talk about first, so I'll just take the flames for my repost ;)

This is one of those things that definately does come up a lot, questioning yourself if what you're doing is wrong especially by newbies to the sport or those not yet in it. And mom's like me...I don't think there's been a one of us who hasn't asked whether it was worth it on here! I think we all just need validation we're not crazy, or at least we're in good company (and it gives us ammo for conversations with family/friends that come up later!)

Pammi

If you're only 14 right now, you really don't NEED to worry about this yet. In a few years your mind will most likely change, and you can see how you feel then. If you still feel like it's not worth the risk, then don't do it. Just see how you feel when you're 18, not 14.
Michael

Chad,

Sounds to me like you’ve had your first jump and mom and dad do not know???

Be up front with your parents, if they go crazy, you will know you are the sane one in the family.

You can always tell them you are getting a head start on a military career.

But if all the above is wrong, then start saving some money!!!!! If you back out, you’ll have a down payment for your new car!

Ho, yea, you could tell them it’s a better High than dope,,,, awww don’t say that, they might ask you, how do you know?

One more thought,,,,,, do we really fall to the earth? Or does the earth rise to us?

Hang in Dude it a Blast!

I have a need, it’s speed, FEED THE NEED!!!!!!! :D

And by the way i do live in California and heard of perris valley. and heard that wind tunnels cost alot of these $$$

***Sounds to me like you’ve had your first jump and mom and dad do not know???

LOL i wish and thinks for the info all of you.

Thanks all for replying and Ron....
whats with u....lol

Thanks,
Chad;)

Again is it Worth It?! I know my parents wont be happy that i am risking my life and i have to put worry in their minds if i start the sport. So far its a secrit from them and i am waiting for the right time to tell them.

Chad,

unfortunately when it comes to parents, I can't think of anything that trumps skydiving or motorcycling for crazy insane ideas. It's not like you can try saying "I want to bungee jump" and when they say no, try "ok, how bout if I just jump out of a plane instead." If you became a DZ rat and spent a couple years effectively in traning you might impress upon them your interest and seriousness about safety.

Or...they may still think you're recklessly dumb. It depends on the parents. My mom used to complain but now that she's doing more dangerous activities (glaciers) she doesn't have quite the leg to stand on.

One note - you talked about becoming a professional jumper - that would entail a lot more jumping and training, and probably networking. Only so many people can jump for a living. Many more are instructors and tandem masters, but not as their primary job.

Some people pay tons of money for cigarettes, which will probably kill you. Some people pay tons of money to soup up their cars and drive fast, which can kill you. Some people pay tons of money to jump, which can kill you. You have to answer the question yourself. Risk v. reward. Don't worry kid, you're on the right path.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I learned to fly and skydive during highschool. My mother didn't like it but she signed a release. (She had good reason as my dad died in an aircraft accident) Hang out at the local dropzone and bring your parents. If they see you are serious about this, there is a good chance they will come around. As mentioned already, start saving your money.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I'd always been intrigued by skydiving and one day had some spare cash so went for it, now ive fallen in love and dont think ill ever look back. I actually dont think its an overly dangerous sport either if you look after yourself. Parents..mine showed up at the DZ just before my first solo without me knowing, and that nite told me how extremely proud they were of me for doing it which made me feel great. I hope yours will support you just as much! :)