MaStAdJ

Is skydiving really worth entertainment even though that you can get killed?

Hey all,
I am a 14 year old kid that dicovered the sport of skydiving. I fell in love with the thrill and the experience of the freefall and the parachuting. I understand the risk and the threat of the earth surface coming closer and closer to you as you fly down though the atmosphere between 100-300 miles per hour, But this is my question, "Is it worth it?" Is it worth the risk and thought that you can die the next day on the jump out of a airplane. Your parachute wont deploy, it did not go out all the way, pulled to late, ruff landings. I know most of the risk but i still have the urge to skydive. Again is it Worth It?! I know my parents wont be happy that i am risking my life and i have to put worry in their minds if i start the sport. So far its a secrit from them and i am waiting for the right time to tell them. Please give me advice. I know i am to young, but every day and every year goes by. I get happier and happier because i am one day closer to get a licence to become a profession skydiver. Do you had the urge when you were a kid? Thanks for reading...

Talk more privetly email: [email protected]

Thanks all,
Chad;)

Im glad you have a while to go before you get the chance to jump. Tell you're parents when you go and do it.

When you get to do a tandem the first time, you'll know if its worth it or not.

If it wasnt worth it, I would be doing it.

The only thing I can say is dont try to fool anyone or yourself that this sport is safe. People die way to often. You can and will get hurt, whether you bust your ankle or watch your best friend bounce, this sport will burn you, and I still wouldnt have it any other way. Hope you get the chance to see why.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

True dat. Never thought about that before.

I know i got a long way to go but whats a good way to start my skydiving career?

tandem+AFF?
AFF?
Static line?

no offence i like to start with AFF because its almost like solo and i can get the feel if i were to do it anyday in the future. Good choise?:|

Reply so i can do some research.....;)

Thanks,
ChadB|

Reply so i can do some research.....

Check this page out. Lots and lots of info there.

Instead of worrying about which type of jump to do for your first one right now, work on saving as much money as you can so when you are old enough you can afford to do your student jumps and buy your gear. Besides being something that can kill you even if you do everything right, skydiving is an expensive addiction...

Worth every penny, imho. :)

Keep in mind almost all DZ's require you to be 18 before you can make a jump. I have heard of some letting you go if you have parental consent. Is it worth it???....you know I ask myself that all the time. Matter of fact if you asked that yesterday i'd say hell ya, but today...I just dont know. I know that sounds funny but I'm fairly new to the sport and dont think I will ever quit..but dont think I'm addicted like most people on here.
"GOT LEAD?"

Tandem progression (IAF) would be my recommendation. Just my personal opinion, but I've heard others say the same thing numerous times. I made it through all of the non-tandem levels of IAF in two days without repeating, and think having done the tandems first made it possible.

Blue Skies

YES, it's worth it.

As a NEWBIE to the sport, I'm constantly amazed at how worth it it is. I hadn't jumped for a couple of months, and I almost forgot how much I loved the feeling. The second I got out the door, it all came back to me, and my coach said I was grinning from ear to ear!

As far as starting, I can only offer my opinion.
I started with static line in Australia - it was a lot cheaper than the AFF option, because pretty much all your jumps are solos. And I think it's a LOT less to worry about on your first few jumps. (you don't have to worry about pull, staying stable, etc.)
At the same time, it took a little bit longer to get comfortable with the free fall.

But either way to do it....it's an addiction from your first jump. It's all I think about now!!! You've been warned. :P

As far as your parents...good luck. My frown all the time whenever I mention it.

CHEERS!
-Alex

Thanks so much for replies.;):)
by the way. when you said expensive. Like how much are you lokking at with container+Main and Reserve,+jumpsuit+helmet+altimeter+ect?

And another thing. There are several container brands. Most of them to me are the same thing with a different face. Which container do you think meets 100% reliability and comfort. I heard when you deploy the parachute it sometimes hurts.
I saw these brands of containers that seem reliable:
Icon
Marage G3-G4
Voodo
Wings
(any others?)

please reply with info......Your opinions?

By the way how much is an average training course to get an offical licence to become a professional Skydiver?

PS thanks to all that replied to all of my earlier Questions. Please feel free to answer them all.

Thanks,
Chad;)

Is it worth it? Thats a relative question. To some yes, to some, no. I love it....yet my friends ask me why I spent so much money on something that can kill me?

Keep one thing in mind. All though those are all good containers, NOTHING in this sport is 100%. Gear is relative.....$3000+ ....however you can get in for less.

You will know the second you leave the plane. I did a tandem, walked away. Started the drive home, turned around half way and went back and jumped again.

is it worth it to me? definitly....

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

I usually tell people to expect to spend up to $10k to go from no jumps to an A license and all their equipment. Your mileage may vary depending on where you jump, whether you buy new or used gear and which gear items you choose.

Take a look at some equipment dealers websites to get an idea of prices for containers, mains, reserves, AADs, altis, jumpsuits, etc. Lots of links here and here.

Lots of good info on choosing your equipment here.

No piece of skydiving equipment is 100% reliable. No skydiver is 100% perfect. Shit happens. You, the gear manufacturer, the people you jump with, etc, can all do everything right and you can still die.

Well, being a newb also, having 15 jumps and 6 of wich were yesterday, I'd have to say uhhhmmm HELL YES IT'S WORTH IT! It is for me at least! And I feel as though I am speaking for everyone else on here too :) Duh, its a skydiving forum!

On the method of doing this, I did straight AFF, but it DEFINATELY is not for everyone. One tandem will take some of the...nevermind it won't take any pressure off! :)

Nick

Nick.

Those who dance, are cosidered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Sometimes I think the only reason I volunteered to be alive is to jump out of airplanes... So I would say yes, it's worth it. It's also worth dealing with all the struggles life keeps throwing at you in order to jump :P even though I don't get to jump as much as I would like to.

Blue Skies,

~Skailz~

Keep in mind almost all DZ's require you to be 18 before you can make a jump.

Umm hewre in Oz you need to be 14 for a tandem and 16 to start AFF.
In New Zealand they don't have a minimum age for Tandem:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

DEFINITELY YES!!

About the other comments on this thread I would say that becoming a "dropzone rat" if you can could be the best way to calm your thirst for the sport and learn a lot. Equipment choices? Inform yourself, helps your learning but as far as what will be good for you... think that when you get off student status (4+ years from now if you need to be 18 or 2+ if you need to be 16) a lot may have changed.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Is it just me, or is this "Kid" not all he seems?

I mean:

I am a 14 year old kid

I don't know many 14 year olds that call themselves "Kids".

as you fly down though the atmosphere

Atmosphere? Most 14 year olds I know would say "sky"

Registered April 18th but seems to know a bunch about gear already.

I fell in love with the thrill and the experience of the freefall and the parachuting

What experience...He claims to have never jumped?

between 100-300 miles per hour

He guesses about the speeds, but can list several different rig names.

No name entered...ect?

Just a thought, call me a sceptic, but I don't think this is legit....Its not hurting anything, but he seems to know a lot and nothing at the same time....And the words he uses don't seem to fit in with a 14 year old.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

From the very lineage of my rich ancestry, by everything our proud civilization has achieved in a thousand eons, I bring my most exquisite salutations to your exaltedness, who, uh, umm.. hi!

Now that we got the greeting part out of the way, here goes:

Your petulant expostulations should be repudiated! B|

:)

Your petulant expostulations should be repudiated

Uh,,, yeah...Or something...

Anyone able to translate this to english?

All I got is...

Your moody reasoning should be (Rejected?/ Disclaimed?)

Is he agreeing with me, or is this a personal attack and I'm just to stupid to see it?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Even if it was someone pretending, what would be the point?

He may have never jumped, but looked on DZ.com and followed all the links to all the kit, and if hes read the forums enough he'll have seen almost everything.

And speeds, 100-300 mph. Generally belly to earth isnt much faster than 100 (~120) and some slow fallers can fall at this pace (and birdmen can go much slower) Then there is speed skydiving, which has speeds greater than 300mph (Isnt the world record currently around 330?). Deaf guy at my DZ just managed 280 over the weekend.

So dont go trashing him.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Even if it was someone pretending, what would be the point?

What is the point of any troll? To start something and see where it goes for fun.

He may have never jumped, but looked on DZ.com and followed all the links to all the kit, and if hes read the forums enough he'll have seen almost everything.

In ONE day?

And speeds, 100-300 mph. Generally belly to earth isnt much faster than 100 (~120) and some slow fallers can fall at this pace (and birdmen can go much slower) Then there is speed skydiving, which has speeds greater than 300mph (Isnt the world record currently around 330?). Deaf guy at my DZ just managed 280 over the weekend.

And he learned all of this but missed important things like atmosphere vs sky...ect?

And show me one 14 year old that calls himself a "kid".

So dont go trashing him.

Who is trashing him?...I just don't find this post honest.

Simple fact if he knows so much about this sport why is he asking questions like?

Is skydiving really worth entertainment even though that you can get killed?

Thats been discussed on here several times...And if he is savy as to be able to look up all these types of gear you would think he would see the "search posts" link above.

And this has been disscused to death:

I know i got a long way to go but whats a good way to start my skydiving career?

tandem+AFF?
AFF?
Static line?

I just don't see this as real. I could be wrong.