philh

Arms ache after loads of jumps

Anyone have the same problem or suggest any solution? After about 20-30 jumps in a week or so my arms start to give up on me. Im pretty fit and work out in the gym on averga 20 hrs a week. I lift about 40kgs + the bar on the bench press for example but still I find doing too many jumps just too painful
I mostly do freestlye and head up free flying, when I wore sit wing suits it was worse but I still get it just jumping in a t shirt. Any ideas?

I feel my arms after doing many jumps also. but i think this comes from pulling the frontrisers and toggles too much.
jump for a few days more, maybe your pain will disappear... that is what i noticed.

Life's NOT a journey!

Not sure what to suggest really apart from lots of hot baths and an attractive person to give you lots of massages.

The most I have ever strained myself (apart from that night with the malaysian girl and her friend) was after spending too much time in the tunnel.

I'd been on a tunnel camp so had already done 1 hour in one day .. and then a whole bunch of extra time came up going late in to the evening .. so I did another 45 minutes (against the advice of my instructor) mainly flying on my own but Fabian jumped in once or twice and we (he) did some funky stuff.

It was a blast. A brilliant evening. I left tired but not exhausted. However, I woke up the following morning and I could hardly move my left arm, something had gone wrong. I had no strength in it whatsoever, not even enough to turn the door handle in the motel. It hurt like hell, a really sharp pain. I couldn't lift it above shoulder height.

Strangely I could still fly OK in the tunnel .. but it took about 10 weeks for the strength to come back. Couldn't actually skydive for 10 weeks because I couldn't get my arm above my shoulders :-/

The lesson: When your tunnel instructors say go home to bed and don't fly anymore, listen to them. Your arms hurt less and your credit card hurts less.

Hi! B| I too have done a lot of freestyle and found the same thing - the wings actually put more pressure on your arms and upper body. I had a suit made (Bev Suits) with winglets - provides good stability and is much easier on your arms. The only thing I can say is that you get used to it :S Working out regularly (which you do), taking vitamins and ibuprofen for the aftermath is good. Also - stay hydrated. Keep it up - that's awesome about the freestyle!!

Dare to dream and then make it happen!

Doing bench press wont strengthen the muscles you are working on a skydive.
Bench works the Pecs mostly with the triceps as a supporting muscle. In the arms, the tri's extend the arm.
In skydiving most of the arm work will be pulling motions rather than pushing.

Try adding a good biceps workout as well as lats. Those will serve you better on a skydive than the tricep will.
__

My mighty steed

Only your arms?

You are either very lucky, or very fit. I wish it could only be my arms that take strain. If I do that many jumps, it's my shoulders, my back , my ass, and muscles I never even knew existed. Ok but I do mainly flat flying so that must make a difference.

mostly do freestlye and head up free flying,

Could be from flaring too fast before pulling. I noticed that the first time I started tryin head down flying. You want to go belly to earth slowly so your arms don't break off. Ya it hurts. Also could be from the isometric type exercize you are getting from holding your arms out during freefall.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Only your arms?

You are either very lucky, or very fit. I wish it could only be my arms that take strain. If I do that many jumps, it's my shoulders, my back , my ass, and muscles I never even knew existed. Ok but I do mainly flat flying so that must make a difference.

I get the same thing, but I'm only doing AFF now so I thought it was just because it is a whole new thing to my body. I asked some of the experienced skydivers at the dz, but just got some blank stares, and laughs when I mentioned my ass hurting, followed closely by "well, what the hell were you doing in the plane on the way up??!" I have a bad back anyway, which I have been seeing all sorts of doctors etc for for the past 6 months, so I'm hoping it's not going to give me heaps of trouble. Not very good hearing that people with heaps of jumps (compared to me) still get sore. [:/]
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Thanks for your helps guys,
I am curious, Christ, exactly what exercises do you reccomend in the gym to strenthen my arms?
Im pretty sure that its caused by free fall rather canopy flight as the worst paign I felt was after doing a hight altitude jump from 23000 ft.
By the way, yes I

am pretty fit, but obviously not fit enough. Oh and i dont do 30 jumps every week, I tend to do most of my jumping on a jumping vacation rather than go to the DZ every weekend. Cheers.

Anyone have the same problem or suggest any solution? After about 20-30 jumps in a week or so my arms start to give up on me. Im pretty fit and work out in the gym on averga 20 hrs a week. I lift about 40kgs + the bar on the bench press for example but still I find doing too many jumps just too painful

Start doing tandems.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.