murphyka

Perris..Is this a normal practice or one time thing?

At the moment I wasn't comfortable making a flat turn because I had a canopy to my left about 30 feet away and turning right would have put my right in the path of the truck.

There are a zillion place to land at Perris. You don't have to land on that tiny grass strip. Frankly, I let the swoopers have it when it's busy. Try the far end of the circle. There is a packed dirt road around the outside of the circle where Truck Dude usually picks us up.

As for the motorcyclist, yep, he was a dumbass and deserved what he got.

Really? I would think that chasing an Otter would be a much bigger danger to the guy on the bike than to
the Otter. Which one is bigger and faster?

Using a truck as weapon is uncalled for (especially with skydiver in the back) unless your life is in direct danger. Did motorcycle guy have gun?

Let the cops handle it.

scott

unless your life is in direct danger

Do the lives of the 23 jumpers and the pilot count? What happens if the nutter biker fubars and rides himself through the prop just as the plane lifts off? Would you like to have to design another memorial?

Really? I would think that chasing an Otter would be a much bigger danger to the guy on the bike than to

The dirt bike is far faster to accelerate, more manuervable, and more tolerant of being dropped or steered into the wrong place. It also doesn't have 20 passengers on board.

If it was racing next to the wing of an otter on takeoff, I'd be fine with them shooting on sight, or if more forgiving, merely beating the crap out of him afterwards.

The truck did not hit a motorcycle. The Motorcylcist hit the truck. Tim was following the guy on the bike, and trying to get him off the airport where he did not belong. Maybe you didn't know that the motorcyclist (non jumper) was endangering peoples lives bytrying to race the aircraft doen the runway, not to mention trespassing, and being a general asshole

Why didn't the truck hit the motorcycle, then beat the shit out of this asshole?

Dude, all it would have took would have been for that guy to get under a wheel and the whole f---ing plane flips over and potentionally kills everyone on board. What if he had clipped it real good just as it's wheel left the ground? Even if nobody got hurt. That is not a cheap plane to have to fix. Seeing as how you complained so hard about the prices going BACK up last year, I would think you would consider what it may have cost you.

Using a truck as weapon is uncalled for (especially with skydiver in the back) unless your life is in direct danger. Did motorcycle guy have gun?

Let's clarify what TIm did. He dorve down the side if the runway to catch the guy. The motorcycle then turned back toward him. The motorcycle turned around in front of the truck. All Tim did was step on the gas a bit. He didn't set out to run the guy down. The guy put himself in that position. The skydivers in the back where fine. Tim wasn't going very fast when he hit the guy. More like a love tap.

For all intents and purposes the juy might as well had a gun in his hand. If he where on a Federal airport and did that, he would have been in a much bigger world of hurt. With the state of the world today, I bet he would have been shot at.

Dom

At 200 feet, I didn't have altitude nor the room to make big adjustments, especially for the fact that there was alot of traffic.

Aha......

Kim you should make a few hop-n-pop jumps so that you can work on your canopy skills :P.

Oh wait that would make you a cheater :ph34r:

Kris.

At 200 feet, I didn't have altitude nor the room to make big adjustments.

Please know that this post is not meant as any sort of slamming post. But it is in this exact scenario where you need to know how to perform flat turns. If you're not comfortable with flying your canopy in this manner, then please start practicing up high and get to know how your canopy responds in slow flight. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Please know that this post is not meant as any sort of slamming post. But it is in this exact scenario where you need to know how to perform flat turns. If you're not comfortable with flying your canopy in this manner, then please start practicing up high and get to know how your canopy responds in slow flight

TRUE~
Dom

Tim isn't exactly a spring chicken. He played it cool. The guys almost got an ass beating when they should back up the second time, but cooler heads prevailed.

Besides there where so many skydivers circling these guys that most of us would have probably hit each other just trying to get at them. Ever see the second Matrix movie? We would have just piled on top of the guy. The weight from all of us would have killed him! :D
Dom

I didn't post this to "blab" on the DZ, just wanted to know if it was normal for someone to be driving through the landing area when canopies are landing? I got my answer, and now I know what to expect next time I visit. I'm sorry that some people took the question so personally.

Not everyone took it wrong. While you might have worded it a little better, it didn't sound like a rant. You were new to the DZ, unaccustomed to the truck, and asked if it was normal. Cool.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So after this jerk and his pals made trouble twice, and the cops came out twice, they still walked away ? I'd think a night in the Perris jail would've given them the kind of therapy they needed...

.... they still walked away.????....
Hmmmmm, somebody who trespasses,,,
creates a safety concern,, acts like a jerk when confronted about it,,, returns with some
"muscle",,, requires police intervention and then leaves.... is trouble....
If they are locals,,,be careful..>:(..
An Idiot like this , who may feel slighted,, is just the type who returns,, under the cover of
darkness to " exact his revenge"...

Consider planting some time lapse cameras, to watch the facilities,,, and for SURE monitor the aircraft....round the clock,,,, for the next few weeks..... this guy could be poison....[:/]
For all the wonderful friendships, which I bet have been made at this great drop zone.....
this guy ISN'T one of 'em....B| ten cuidado

.... they still walked away.????...

They have many eyes on the planes at night. People don't realize it most of the time, but people live all around the hangers and not much can happen with out our friends Smith and Wesson helping out if they have to.

We are not letting Tim go out by himself with out a radio for a while. He is actually my neighbor and we will not let anything happen to him or the planes.
Dom

I didn't post this to "blab" on the DZ, just wanted to know if it was normal for someone to be driving through the landing area when canopies are landing? I got my answer, and now I know what to expect next time I visit. I'm sorry that some people took the question so personally.

While I did not take you comments personally (how could I? they were not directed at me.) I think the way you presented youself was poor. You made accusations about the DZ, and a Staff member and his actions without bothering to find out the whole story.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

BTW, this was just before that same truck chased down a motorcyclist with three jumpers in the back of the truck and subsequently hit him with the truck.

So, this did not happen, or it happened but there was reason for it?

If it happened, then what she posted was an observation, not an accusation. Even if there was (debatably) good reason. People had the chance to give the reason as to why things happened, and they did. If it did not happen, then it was an assumption based on what was observed, and should have been written that way.

Angela.

As stated before, the motorcyclist turned around and headed straight for the truck.

From my personal observation, and talking with parties involved, the motorcyclist hit the truck.

I'm glad you had a good time in Perris otherwise, c'mon back soon now!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I was one of the three people in the back of the truck and witnessed the whole thing first hand. The asshole on the motorcycle ran into the truck then jumped up and started yelling at Tim that he'd messed with the wrong person and he was going down, all kinds of threats. Tim was very calm, didn't raise his voice, just told the guy he had commited a federal offense and called security.

Tim is great about watching for skydivers and being right there with the truck on a bad spot or even from the student landing area. I really appreciate all the rides I've gotten from him. The one on Saturday just happened to be a little more exciting than usual.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

KUDOS to Tim!
He just went up a whole notch on the meter. As for all us Perris jumpers, you're not going to get any other response than ultimate appreciation for his efforts at the DZ. It's the landings at the post office, denny's, train tracks etc. that we all appreciate his "eye on the sky" the most. He's even more valuable now that we lost Jack. He's made a cool six pack off of me with many more to come.

Most of those dirt bike guys are pretty cool; surprised to see such a lack of respect. Don't know what the hell he was thinking - trying to "represent" in a whole sea of skydivers. Perhaps he had a hit off our new crack-pipe.

P.S. There on Sun. look forward to FJC DP!
Howdy Hoooo!

As stated before, the motorcyclist turned around and headed straight for the truck.

From my personal observation, and talking with parties involved, the motorcyclist hit the truck.

Well, you were there, so you should know:) I had read this, which is why I questioned it:

At this point Tim just kinda step on the gas and took the bike out! YEEEEAAAAHHHHH for Tim. I wish he had not only broke the bike, but broke the guy riding it.

Angela.

But the truck was chasing the motorcycle, with jumpers in the back? Certainly does sound odd...

I can't say I blame a newbie for freaking out, either...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I was one of the three people in the back of the truck and witnessed the whole thing first hand. The asshole on the motorcycle ran into the truck then jumped up and started yelling at Tim that he'd messed with the wrong person and he was going down, all kinds of threats.

It sounds like it could have become soooo ugly

Tim was very calm, didn't raise his voice, just told the guy he had commited a federal offense and called security.

What a classy guy! We're so lucky to have him there for us! He's the absolute best...:)

At this point Tim just kinda step on the gas and took the bike out!

That was straight from Tim's mouth as I was riding home with him that night in his truck. He even told the cops that he did it on purpose. They didn't get worked up at all about it. He was protecting the plane and the lives of those on the plane.

By saying it was an accident that he was hit, Jp was just trying to protect Tim. No need. The cops knew about it right off and they had no problem with it.

Dom

With 4 23 person Aircraft in the air all day,and over 100 loads being flown the odds of there being no one landing at the time is slim. My bet is Tim saw you WAY before you ever saw him. He really looks out for each and every person to exit an aircraft, makes sure they open, and makes sure they make it back to the DZ.

Might be a good idea to let the new jumpers know about the pick up person on the landing area.

I was actually in the middle of ordering when I just left and ran out there.

I was in the Bombshelter when that happened Dom'

You definatly need to chill...

You dropped your tray and just flew out the door!

We all thought you had a nasty case of the runs and were off to the Men's room!!:P

Sit back, have beer and don't be in such a hurry to fight other people's battles.

john