murphyka

Perris..Is this a normal practice or one time thing?

I hear you man but that isnt necessarily something easy to put into a plan..think of the questions that can go through your mind....

"ok there is the truck...he sees me...but..wait...where is it going?...am i dodging him?...or will he dodge me?...i'll land there then...oh no..he is also going there!"..PANIC PANIC PANIC...hook!

And if that's the response to a truck, how are they going to respond to the pressure of an off field landing when they spot a wire at 50 feet?

Canopy pilots - be prepared, practice and never, ever expect your canopy flight down to be uninterrupted or *conventional*. Getting spooked is a killer. Keep a calm cool head and just do whatever it is you need to do.

This shouldn't have been a big deal...really.

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

All ya have to do is tell the girls at the bar I wanna buy Tim a beer or two. They will take care of it. Let him know that you bought them and he will drink them!

FWIW, my first (F* word, I know) jump ever (AFF Level I) was over Perris just a few days before this event, and I couldn't have been more pleased with how I was treated. I watched the little red truck scoot around a pick folks up all day, and I guess it was Tim that came and picked me up too. Not knowing any better, I thought this was common practice at a DZ. I would've bought beer if I knew what I know now. All I do now is watch my vid and think about how to improve. I'm stoked on skydiving, I like Perris, and I like beer and people who like beer.

Brian

***FWIW, I do not believe she ever said she wasn't briefed. All she said is that it startled her to see the truck in her landing pattern.

Steady...what you have quoted was part of an "either or" type scenario. Just trying to put some rational into what she was saying.

She is asking if it is normal practice to have the truck there. In her words "i was pissed and scared".
Apparently it is and has been for a very long time and everyone is aware of this...or so you would think.

Guess she now has the answers.

FWIW, my first (F* word, I know) jump ever (AFF Level I) was over Perris just a few days before this event, and I couldn't have been more pleased with how I was treated. I watched the little red truck scoot around a pick folks up all day, and I guess it was Tim that came and picked me up too. Not knowing any better, I thought this was common practice at a DZ. I would've bought beer if I knew what I know now. All I do now is watch my vid and think about how to improve. I'm stoked on skydiving, I like Perris, and I like beer and people who like beer.

Welcome to Perris and skydiving.
Dom

Mmm so admittedly this is a rather strange case.

I wonder if the original poster would care to comment on this and shed some light as there are only two answers to this

1) The original poster got briefed and forgot...and is still unable to recall that she got the brief...hence the post.

OR

2) It didnt take place.

Any other options?

I don't recall this being discussed in the briefing before jumping. Had I recalled this, it probably wouldn't have caught me by surprise.

Just to make my point clear, I don't think that it is a bad thing to have trucks picking up stray jumpers if his approach to the jumpers is on the perimeter of the landing area. I just don't feel that it is necessary for them to be cutting through the landing area.
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Just to make my point clear, I don't think that it is a bad thing to have trucks picking up stray jumpers if his approach to the jumpers is on the perimeter of the landing area. I just don't feel that it is necessary for them to be cutting through the landing area.

Like someone said before two weeks ago it was landing madness. Lots of visitors, some military Demo teams and not a lot of staff to go around and pick up everybody. Throw in a few cuttaways and other scattered gear. Tim was a very very busy man.

I myself picked up several jumpers on more than a few occasions one day in this same busy week while looking for lost gear wayoff the property in my jeep. I was typically there seconds after they landed. Tim needed some slack as the outlanders were running him ragged . Like I said before some people stretch the definition of landing area. Its all good. If you land out far enough you may be able to hit a drive through on the way back.:)

If you land out far enough you may be able to hit a drive through on the way back.

Some people fly like they're trying to find the local "Taco Bell"! :D

ltdiver

LMAO - Before we had GPS I was on some of those loads.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I remember the waiver process there, including being video'd, but I don't recall any discussion of hand signals or the truck.

-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.