murphyka

Perris..Is this a normal practice or one time thing?

Hey everyone-

Remember --

You ARE allowed to tip your pick up truck driver.

We used to have a tip box for Bad Spot Bill on the fence, until someone stole it.

Let Tim know you appreciate him. He's one of the best reason's to jump at Perris.

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Might be a good idea to let the new jumpers know about the pick up person on the landing area.

It's covered in the briefing all new jumpers get when they arrive at Perris, along with the hand/arm signals to announce someone hurt, someone who needs pick up, ect.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You dropped your tray and just flew out the door!

Stopped in the middle of ordering and didn't have a tray yet.:P

We all thought you had a nasty case of the runs and were off to the Men's room!!

That has happend in the past!:$

Sit back, have beer and don't be in such a hurry to fight other people's battles.

Tim's battles are mine. He is a friend, neighbor and an all around good guy. He would put his life on the line for me and I would do the same for me. When you need him he is there. When he needs me I will be there. Plus I don't drink that much anymore. If I had been drinking the cooler heads woud not have one out. I would have been out there ranting and raving and swinging from the word go.
Dom

Good idea Harry! You guys know what makes Tim really happy? Beer! He is as happy as a pig in s--t at the end of the day when he goes to the bar and there are beeerrs on his tab. He wouldn't mind the tips I am sure, but he woudl love the beer.

He gets really bummed when he has a week like he did two weeks ago. 14 cutaways in 3 days (it seemed like everytime we looked up there was another) He chased down everyone of them except 2 ( I got those since they where people I was jumping with), and only two people thanked him and bought him a beer. I mean this guy even found cutaway and reserve handles! It isn't a part of his job. All they ask him to do is pick people up. He takes on a lot more just because he likes the sport and cares for the safety of us all.
Dom

Doesn't laughter lead to sex?

I think they were saying that sex leads to laughter :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ok trying to rescue Rosa ;)and deviating back to the original issue at hand

In response to

I would hope that this was an isolated case and that it is not standard practice for vehicles to be driving through the landing area when there are canopies in the air.

AND

It's covered in the briefing all new jumpers get when they arrive at Perris, along with the hand/arm signals to announce someone hurt, someone who needs pick up, ect.....

Is this really the case then?? Looks like the process was ommitted.

To be fair in sure the work that Tim does is awesome and well appreciated..BUT without warning any unwitting person could actually be put off by seeing a car driving around the landing areas...and believe me..that is a potential serious incident waiting to take place.

I'd suggest (only because I know how thourogh the DZ is about waivers, video waivers, gear checks, and airport briefings that it was done. Perris has a checklist for that sort of thing. You don't jump till you've had everything signed off....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Is this really the case then?? Looks like the process was ommitted.

To be fair in sure the work that Tim does is awesome and well appreciated..BUT without warning any unwitting person could actually be put off by seeing a car driving around the landing areas...and believe me..that is a potential serious incident waiting to take place.

It is a part of every briefing at Perris. I am sure there have been and will be times when it is overlooked. Maybe that happend this time, maybe it didn't. They also brief people on landing directions and people don't listen to that either.

Also you relly have to have not been paying attention to what was going on around the Dz that weekend to not have just seen the truck all day long. In fact that weekend there where two trucks running around the landing are. The swoop competion was going on and the trucks where also bringing people back and forth formthe swoop pond. I know they briefed people about that.

I think all that happend here was a 1st time visit to a new Dz and a really big one at that! A lot of folks get sensory overload at Perris and just can't remember all the stuff they have been told. There is so much going on here all the time. This weekend alone, there was the Swoop Comp. A 5 day 4-way camp with tons of people in it, a coaches course, and a big way Freefly camp. Over 100 loads a day for 2 or 3 days. Let;s just say that there where only 20 people on each load. That is over 2000 skydives a day. It would be very easy for a low time jumper to get overwhelmed and forget what they have been told.

One of the biggest problems at Perris is people crossing the runway without looking for planes. They tell you right from the start to look before crossing the runway, if you see a plane on final or base to final to stay on the landing area until the plane has landed and is in the loading area. Do you know how many times a day they have to hit the siren to get people to NOT cross the runway because the plane is coming? To many. I have been guilty of it myself and I jump there all the time.

For those of you that do come to our playground. Just know the truck is there and he saw you before you even thought about seeing him. The only people he hits are guys on motorcycles on the runway racing planes. Plus, there are dirt roads all over the landing area and he usually only drives on those, unless it is an emergency.
Dom

Mmm so admittedly this is a rather strange case.

I wonder if the original poster would care to comment on this and shed some light as there are only two answers to this

1) The original poster got briefed and forgot...and is still unable to recall that she got the brief...hence the post.

OR

2) It didnt take place.

Any other options?

*** For those of you that do come to our playground. Just know the truck is there and he saw you before you even thought about seeing him. The only people he hits are guys on motorcycles on the runway racing planes. Plus, there are dirt roads all over the landing area and he usually only drives on those, unless it is an emergency.

I hear you man but that isnt necessarily something easy to put into a plan..think of the questions that can go through your mind....

"ok there is the truck...he sees me...but..wait...where is it going?...am i dodging him?...or will he dodge me?...i'll land there then...oh no..he is also going there!"..PANIC PANIC PANIC...hook!

I get your point totally.

Remember that Tim knows that the canopies have the right of way. In fact if you tried to run into him you couldn't.

Plus, if you can't figure out which way a vehicle is moving you have a problem. It's pretty obvious when it is moving by the dust trail it leaves behind it as it drives along the road that it is on. This shoud not be an issue for people at all. Trucks have been driving out to pick people up for years out at Perris.

This is why Diablopilot came off like he did when this post first came up. Now people are all worried (for no reason) about the truck in the landing area. I will stick to my comment of "worried for no reason" Because it is not an issue. The truck is not a saftey hazzard and if Murphyka had gotten hurt (and I am very glad she didn't) it would have been because she freaked out.

We put students out all day everyday at Perris and I have never heard of any of them complain about the truck. In fact Tim gets more thanks and compliments from vistiors then just aout anybody on the DZ.
Dom

There has been a truck driving around the landing area for over 20 years. An not one jumper has been run over. This includes night jumps. So you believe me... this is not a serious incident waiting to take place. All things can be done and done safely with just a little planing.
Sparky

And Dom., thanks for the backup.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

1) The original poster got briefed and forgot...and is still unable to recall that she got the brief...hence the post.

FWIW, I do not believe she ever said she wasn't briefed. All she said is that it startled her to see the truck in her landing pattern.
FGF #6
Darcy