WrongWay

Are you a good judge of character? (skydive related)

Right now I'm working as a Coach, and I'll be attending a course for my I here in about three weeks - so Please note my very limited experience in my response....

When I ask an Instructor (and I make a point to ask everyone I can...) how they size up a student, I always get a different answer. Some have simple techniques to measure and classify, some use their own system of stereotypes, and some use their intuitions. My personal experiences lend me to believe that those who think that they are gifted in Making Judgements in A skydiver's character usually have a short-sided outlook and are often Too Judgemental. Those that I do know (and I can only count two, in my area...) and I believe to have exceptional judgement of character are able to sculpt their teaching techniques to be most efficient for that one particular learner. I think it's absolutly amazing to watch.
In short, if you think you know it, you don't. If you strive and make an effort to connect with each student, then you have a good chance...

Pardon my spelling and grammatical errors...
=========Shaun ==========

im a firm believer in the helmet sticker theory as far as judging character, and it plays out into any sport where a helmet is used, the more stickers they have on the helmet, the more scared they are!

laugh all you want, but you know its true.:P

I have 4, including a dizzy.com sticker. Does that make me 40% scared?

I don't think I would refuse to bring them, just make sure that I strongly recommended doing a tandem first. After that, it is up to them and not me. I think that the instructor could be a better judge of the persons abilities than I could. But again, it would really depend on the situation. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

irresponsible, clumsy, opinionated, lacking common sense, closed minded, and very immature

I don't know man. Everyone deserves a shot. If you feel uncomfortable, don't jump with them.

Skydiving might make them a better person.

If they come to me and say they want to jump, I'll answer any question they have but I know most people who talk like they want to try it, never do.

If they have any of the above traits that you mentioned, I know the AFF jumpmaster will straighten their asses.

In my old age, I am slowly getting better at seeing through the BS lines some licensed skydivers try to lay on me ... like the 70 jump wonder who showed up with a 120 reserve and claimed he could not find his logbooks. Several other people pressured him and his logbooks magically re-appeared. DOOH!

It is not so much a conscious recognition as much as "something is not right with this picture ... hmmm?"

However, students routinely baffle me. Just like nightjumper, I have students ace ground school, then flail all over the sky. By the same token, I have had numerous students who fumbled through ground school, then aced the skydive.
I never really know which student I got until 5 seconds after exit.

However, students routinely baffle me. Just like nightjumper, I have students ace ground school, then flail all over the sky. By the same token, I have had numerous students who fumbled through ground school, then aced the skydive.
I never really know which student I got until 5 seconds after exit.

I concur. Then there are the students that have done a few static line jumps years ago and try to teach the FJC for you. They know it all and don't really need to "review" anything. Rarely do they remember the skydive, let alone what those funny "gang" signals we flashed them.

Trying to size-up your class is sometimes useless.:S:D One thing I have noticed, at least lately, is that some FJ students that are marginal in the air have been pretty good under canopy.B|