KrisFlyZ

Skydiving in private property

Are there any rules that govern skydiving on private property? If I have a private airfield (like i'll ever own one ) and want to conduct parachuting operations. Not on a regular basis but I just wake up one day and want to do it.

What are the requirements? My guess is that I cannot do that without informing the FAA and getting clearance from the nearest air traffic control tower. Correct??

No I am not planning on doing something like this. It is just a hypothetical question.

To land on private property, you need the landowner's permission. If that's you, you're set. You must not create a hazard to people or property on the ground. What does that mean? It's not that defined, but the FAA will tell you when they think you've done it. See demo regualations for some guidelines.

Clearance from the nearest FAA facility depends on what type of airspace you're jumping through. Only high altitude jumps above 18000 feet, jumps through Class B terminal aispace, and jumps within five statute miles of an operatiing control tower require an actual clearance. Most other jumps require only a traffic advisory one minute prior to jump. Notams are required to be filed in advance for all jumping, but that's really easy. Check with your local FAA flight service office for help.

Thats how the RoamingDZ got it's start.Taking off from a private airstrip and landing in my backyard.Those were some great parties.I recommend this to anyone who has access to a private strip.Nothing like getting your friends together for a leasurely day of jumping and partying.

Chris

I jumped into my mother-in-law's yard on Thanksgiving day 2002. Her yard is less than a mile from the end of the runway of Augusta, GA's airport. This was a little over a year after 9-11 and I was expecting the FAA to say no a thousand different ways. I started about 8 months in advance making calls and establishing contacts. Ends up all I had to do was make notice to them the day of. The FAA guy told me- "Hey, they're your airways. It's my job to make them accessible to you." Was quite the experience!

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

What if you were to land on the beach somewhere (a relatively uncrowded san diego beach for example), can they confiscate your rig and give you a ticket? Or do they have no right to do anything, assuming you werent putting anyone elses life in danger?

You'll probably just need to file a NOTAM (Notice to Airman) advising of parachute operations over a certain area, or you might have to file for a Certificate of Authorization/Waiver to permit you to land in or near an open air assembly of persons (depending on the distance to landing obstacles). You might have a bigger problem with the local zoning officials.

What if you were to land on the beach somewhere (a relatively uncrowded san diego beach for example), can they confiscate your rig and give you a ticket? Or do they have no right to do anything, assuming you werent putting anyone elses life in danger?

I think the FAA's major power is with the pilots, who have licenses ("certificates?") that allow them to fly, and require them to obey the FAA rules. The FAA can revoke or suspend the licenses, and the pilots don't like that.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

(a relatively uncrowded san diego beach for example)

Is it private or ppublic property, and what is the catagory of the airspace above it?

it is a public beach (la jolla shores). There are always hanggliders and paragliders flying around above but I dont know what type or airspace it is.

it is a public beach (la jolla shores). There are always hanggliders and paragliders flying around above but I dont know what type or airspace it is.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most of that traffic is below normal airplane pattern altitude.
If you plan on jumping in controlled airspace, you need the FAA's blessing which starts with a letter of permission from the land owner (city council or state parks department).

That would be a fun beach to land on - it was actually the first one I played in the surf in when I was 6.

Wide open, and the water stays relatively shallow (< 15') for a long ways offshore, then it drops very sharply into the 100s.

If this beach has got life guards I would let their organization know ahead so that they don't put the K-bosh on your post jump festivities.

There is nothing like having to stand around getting "talked" to while somebody else searches for any possible violated regulation as they grumpy facing your guests and or ground crew.

I beleive the airspace above that beach is class Bravo so you need to be in contact with SoCal approach or whop ever controlsit these days.
As far as the land owners permission, I think if it is a public beach the county owns it.

When we did jumps over Lake Tahoe the county did not allow us to land on the beach, we got around that requirement by talking to the US Coastguard who controls the lake and they let us land in the lake, i.e. swoop the lake stick a toe in the water and you are legal.

M
Ingen minns en fegis!