Krl1

Basic Newbie Gear

I've made my AFF Level I jump, and I will soon continue AFF Training. I would like to get some of the basic gear I will be using. I own a Protec helmet, gloves, socks, shoes, underwear, but I wondering if it's worthwhile for me to get an Altimeter, goggles, and anything else I will likely buy fairly soon anyway. I bought a logbook................

Brian
***People don't change, they just go places.

hahahahahahaha *choke choke* hahahahaha

sorry. i just got a visual of a guy standing in a plane wearing a protec, gloves, socks, shoes, and underwear saying I'm ready to make a skydive!!!

i'd buy some goggles if i were you.. maybe an altimeter if you can swing it.

What you buy and when you buy it is really up to you. When I was going through AFF they provided the alti, goggles, suit etc.. After that if you dont have gear, you rent it. Personally I bought my helmet, alti, and suit right after I finished, and my rig soon after that. As for shoes and that sort of stuff, there are no special "skydiving shoes" I know of. I see all sorts of stuff up there.

I would wait till you got through AFF and then buy a good helmet, goggles, alti, and suit. The next thing (rig) really depends on what your finances are like. Most people find out this is not a cheap sport but most will agree you can get pretty good deals on used stuff to start and use it for a long time. Others bought everything brand new. I mixed a little of both and am pretty happy with it.

Welcome to our addiction! Be safe!
Oz

I bought goggles for my AFF 2.
I bought my logbook for AFF 3.

I didn't buy anything else til I was done with AFF.

At Perris, the school will let you borrow jumpsuits and altimeters so long as you're not taking them away from paying students. I jumped in a student suit for at least 15 jumps. Dunno about your DZ.

Get a used jumpsuit, til you know how to land. You'll just be pissed if you tear up a brand new suit. Right now, I have a used jumpsuit (tonysuit with booties) and a new jumpsuit (bev hot bod with booties, large grippers, lining, etc...). I wear the old suit when there's no wind, or if I'm landing on grass. I wear the new suit if I'm at perris, there's at least a 5 mph wind, and no mud. =)

I bought my altimeter before I got my A. $60 on ebay. Its an Alti Galaxy. the owner didn't want it because it was purple. I wasn't about to pay an extra $80 or so for a new one just so I could pick the color. It works great, and ironically, the used rig I ended up buying is purple and grey! So, I got the jumpsuit to match.

What I've suggested to friends, of what to buy, in order:

1. Goggles
2. Logbook
3. Helmet
4. Altimeter
5. Jumpsuit (used with booties)
6. Rig (used)
7. Jumpsuit (new)

Oh... when I bring my friends to do tandems, I always buy them a logbook. Most of them can't wait to write in it and have their JM sign it. Its something special, even if they never do a second jump.

sorry. i just got a visual of a guy standing in a plane wearing a protec, gloves, socks, shoes, and underwear saying I'm ready to make a skydive!!!

Actually, that's about right, with logbook in hand:SThanks for the input!

B

yeah, a lot of people said this already, but goggles were my first :D purchase in this sport. student goggles do suck... especially if you have contacts... you want them to fit your face well. then i bought my altimeter. then rig. then helmet. then suits. enjoy bud!!!! B|

helmet is a good thing to own...
at $10-15 i see no reason not to get goggles at this point.
alti is the first thing you'd want if you plan on keep jumping (used is ok, especially if you can get a purple one ;))

jumpsuit? depends, i still don't own one.
after that (if you stick with jumping), i got my complete rig, and when i could afford it, got a dytter too.

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Just a point of note on buying a jumpsuit, something I didn't even realise until it was pointed out to me, avoid jumpsuits that are largely coloured the same as the cut-away pad on whatever rig you will be jumping ie. club student gear for the time being. The last thing you want is to have difficulty finding the pad in a hurry. It would be a shame to buy the suit and then not be able to wear it until you buy your own gear. The two common colours are red and yellow (there are a few customised ones out there).

Just remember it is not important how well you skydive but how good you look doing it. Buy color coordinated items and never ever buy one of those geeky looking protec helmets. They just aren't cool and besides I doubt they would protect your noggin much anyway.

Seriously. I wouldn't buy anything more than a pair of goggles and a logbook at first. Most DZs supply the necessary items while you rent gear.

It's gotta be the shoes .... just get yourself a nice pair of "vans" and you'll be hooked up. (actually just wear whatever your comfortable in and get gear as you can afford it and have fun)B|B|

:P
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

Digitude
Oxygn A-3 helmet
Pro-Track

Why recommend a digital altimeter for a beginner?

Michael

easy, in a split second they know their altitude instead of trying to read an analog alti. It was the first piece I bought because I had trouble reading the alti 2 under the stress of the early jumps! I still use it but usually only look at it in the plane or under a mal.[:/] Then again I was definetly an altitude unaware student;).

... and never ever buy one of those geeky looking protec helmets. They just aren't cool and besides I doubt they would protect your noggin much anyway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Forget cool! I just want to be awake long enough to pull a handle or three!

... guess you never saw the dozens of dents and scratches in my ProTec where loving students have slammed it into doorframes or where it has been slapped by tandem risers.
My leather hat has been gathering dust for the last decade.
I would wear my Bonehead Havok more often if it allowed me to see what my tandem students are doing. For now, I only wear my Havok when jumping with freefall students.

easy, in a split second they know their altitude instead of trying to read an analog alti

speaking from a UI engineer point of view, thats actually a wrong statement ;)
once you get used to the "position" of the needle, you'll get the indication quicker from the analog one, same as in car's speedometers or wrist watches.
but hey, maybe you're special... :ph34r:

O

easy, in a split second they know their altitude instead of trying to read an analog alti

once you get used to the "position" of the needle, you'll get the indication quicker from the analog one, same as in car's speedometers or wrist watches.

OK, I am special:P! I don't know what a UI engineer is but I disagree. I can be in the middle of a track and look down and just roll my wrist and see where I am without hardly changing my track. To read an analog, I would have to put it in front of me. Now if they put a flourescent needle that stood out better I might agree.

O

User interface engineers are those who design the way you as a user will interact with the system, anything like displays controls , shape etc.

there are very good systems out there that fail simply because no one thought of the people who will end up using it...

i can do the same with the analog so i guess its a matter of what you're used to.

but there are exceptions for every rule...

O

O

Absolutely! When you most need the information e.g. (high stress, a blow to the head, hypoxia, extreme fear, etc) , it's not just a matter of which is quicker. It could very well be a matter of not being able to perceive and 'process' the digital data. Low light/bright light could also be a factor.

For the overwhelming majority of situations, the choice between digital vs analog for altimeters is merely a matter of style. However, for the rare event when you absolutely, positively need to know your altitude at a glance, analog is the way to go.

Perception, cognition and reaction time in response to visual images has been studied and tested repeatedly over the decades and analog always wins.

There is no defense for choosing digital for the reasons stated.

BSBD,

Michael

For the overwhelming majority of situations, the choice between digital vs analog for altimeters is merely a matter of style. However, for the rare event when you absolutely, positively need to know your altitude at a glance, analog is the way to go.

I'd really like the neptune, but for these very reasons need to stick with an analog for the forseeable future. You don't need to focus to know you're hitting your critical points.

So then the question is which one? I rather like that the Euro models like the FT-50 extend the yellow band out to 4k, while with the Alti-2 line I wouldn't be in yellow until after I passed my pull altitude. But in terms of reliability, it's hard for me to differentiate. And then there is the price - wide variance. Do altimeters need to be serviced much, or more than rarely?

I'd really like the neptune, but for these very reasons need to stick with an analog for the forseeable future. You don't need to focus to know you're hitting your critical points.

So then the question is which one? I rather like that the Euro models like the FT-50 extend the yellow band out to 4k, while with the Alti-2 line I wouldn't be in yellow until after I passed my pull altitude. But in terms of reliability, it's hard for me to differentiate. And then there is the price - wide variance. Do altimeters need to be serviced much, or more than rarely?

I've owned two altimerters in the last 29 years. The first one I lost in FF. The second is an Alti 2 I've owned since 1988. Dropped it numerous times, dunked it (and myself) in the ocean once ...still works great. Aside from opening the alti, rinsing with fresh water to get the salt out and drying with a hair dryer, have never done any maintenance on it.

You can add in colors at whatever altitude you want. Grab yourself some permanent color markers, screw off the faceplate and do that art thang.

Michael

I have been instructing a very-long time and I used to always tell dedicated, "I'm gonna finish" students that the smartest first purchase was a properly-fitting jumpsuit. It gets fitfull when you are trying to work out basic freefall issues and you find yourself fighting an entirely different-flying jumpsuit. Nowadays, I still tell them they ought to get one jumpsuit that fits and stick to it for a while, I also strongly recommend that they go out and buy an audible. Some people disagree with me that students and young up-jumpers ought not be exposed to them (another distraction), but I am all for them when used properly.

Chuck