TribalTalon

Helping low jump number skydivers

As a fairly experienced jumper (for a Canadian DZ) I have two thoughts...well, several thoughts on this.
I LOVE to jump with an enthusiastic new jumper who has a passion for the sport. There really is nothing quite like a newbie doing something they've never done before or doing more points than they imagined was possible. (especially when they are wearing and open face helmet and the wind catches their lips when they start grinning and their face explodes!) However, I too am always trying to improve and there is not a bottomless pit of money and often only so many jumps you can get in in a day. I LOVE doing a kick ass jump with other experienced jumpers. I'm sorry, but I do. It's a lot of fun and I want to do more of it. I've spent an insane amount of money on coaching so I could do that. I also want to work on other flying skills and disciplines and jumping with low timers can only help to a point.
I always try very hard to encourage new jumpers in the sport and part of that is also spending time on the ground with them and by the campfire too.
Here's something that worked for me when I was beginning. Get to the DZ early, stay late. There are lots of experienced jumpers, even ones that are there to train, who are perhaps waiting for their jump buddies/team mates to show up, who just want to get in the air. That's when you are going to get more opportunity to get those jumps in. I personally don't know any experienced jumper (who still jumps for fun) who doesn't enjoy taking low timers up so please cut us a little slack.

I think it's awesome that i've never run into the problem of trying to find someone to jump with at my DZ, but my only concern being a low timer, is not wanting to screw up someone's jump, just like you said earlier, it's awesome your not concerned with that!
Matthew
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, A donut with no hole is a danish" Ty Webb

Hello Don,
I'm pretty sure I've met you when I've been at SDH but not sure. I was organizing Sat. and yesterday at Spaceland. I pulled a newbie aside and got a three point SCR and I made her prove she could dive out and find me and come to me and dock. Noone snatched her right out of the Otter! We only had 8 jumpers, several low timers. She wanted to pull by 4500' so I had to wave her off at 5000' just after completing the third point. The look on her face was priceless. If I hadn't waved her off she would have stayed with us to 4000';)! Diane doe's almost all 2ways with her partner so I hadn't asked in the past
but he wasn't there at the time. She has a good attitude and listens.VERY IMPORTANT! As long as the people jumping with me aren't being dangerous, they listen to what I tell them and try their newbie best, they keep jumping. I enjoy helping wheather it's in the packing room, at the mock-up or jumping with them if they try hard and have the right attitude. Maybe something to think about.

Hey Conway, I'm a newbie out @ spaceland and I heard that you were great at getting SCR's together for new people. Maybe if your not busy in two weeks you can help get some beer poured on me.
Matthew
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, A donut with no hole is a danish" Ty Webb

Sorry Mathew, two weeks I'll be in San Marcos. Ask Rich Parish, Mike Snowden, Rich Delgado or Doc Sherrie! They will all be more than happy or you can wait until the following weekend. All pouring will have to wait until Sky Fest weekend with Bill Newell(head of the Bob Buquor Memorial) in attendance.:)

I LOVE to jump with an enthusiastic new jumper who has a passion for the sport......However, I too am always trying to improve and there is not a bottomless pit of money and often only so many jumps you can get in in a day

This says it pretty well. We all jump to have fun, and some of us really want to do good jumps.

Newbies don't seem to grasp that while they may want to jump with people who are going to push them, the people they want to jump with also want to jump with people who are go push them.

I spend time working with low timers...I did a two way this weekend with someone. But I also want to get pushed.

And like this poster said I don't have a money tree. If I did we would all have a lot more jumps.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

thats absolutely true. i do not by any means jump exclusively with newbies. No way! i'd never improve if i did that. But if i have nothing else to do, i'd rather go jump with somebody that would really have fun rather then go jump with some old tired guy that's done 50 billion skydives and seen it all before.

here's alot of lame ass people out there that only want to jump with people as "bad ass" as them or, they will only jump with them if the low timer pays for them.

I *beep*ing HATE that attitude. I may not have as much to share with someone as someone on a 4-way team about RW or some hot shot FF team member about FFing, but I can share what knowledge I do have.

That's more of a "smaller" DZ attitude, from what I've seen, you have jumpers pulling low timers "under their wings" to help them grow. That's what Doc Stewart (at Eagle Flight Skydiving) did for me (and still does) and since the beginning I've thought it was a great way to be.

That's also the heart and spirit of SCRs.B|

Skydive Chicago certainly isn't a "smaller" DZ, but if any beginner has trouble finding someone to jump with them, I would be very surprised (unless, of course, they had eggs, beans, onions and beer for breakfast).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rather then go jump with some old tired guy that's done 50 billion skydives and seen it all before.

Maybe that's the attitude that keeps the old tired guy that's done 50 billion skydives and seen it all before from wanting to try and pass on his wealth of knowledge to someone that doesn't want to listen!

(unless, of course, they had eggs, beans, onions and beer for breakfast).

Hey, what a coincidence!!

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

All pouring will have to wait until Sky Fest weekend with Bill Newall(head of the Bob Buquor Memorial) in attidance

:)
See ya there:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

No, but you can get in on the raffle jumps and maybe win a jump with the Pink Patch Dives. All you have to wear is a Pink Hat. Oh, one more thing, you'll be in an Otter with 19 other women, so we get to have our way with you;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My logbook is in the car, but I know without looking that I have many jumps with Jerry Schrimsher. He really enjoyed putting together low pressure skydives for low time jumpers.

I know that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of skydivers who Jerry helped learn to skydive.

Jerry is missed tremendously.

Blue Skies

EXACTLY. some people say well if you want to get good in this sport you have to pay for coaching and thats just how it is in this sport. Bullshit.

Not really, just reality. I said what I did because thats the way it is in general. I don't enjoy you calling people like me 'big headed' and all sorts of other things I have run across in your posts, just please keep that in mind.

Its like any other thing Don. You want to learn to golf well, you can teach yourself or find a coach. It would be nice to help my friends at my own expense, but many times its simply not feasible. For me, and others just trying to make a living. Most skydivers are all too willing to help out young uns. I do my best to give back to the sport in any way possible. If I have to decline a fun jump with a friend with 20 jumps or do a coaching jump so I can eat McDonald's instead of Ramen, sorry buddy, I'm going to do a coaching jump.

Hey Brittany, I'll take some coach jumps from you in the near future. I start AFF (again) at SDH this coming Saturday..... Help keep ya stocked in Mickie D's finest cuisine! I'm easy to spot, probably be the oldest guy in the class.....but I'll bring beerB|

Buck

I’ve got to say that I’ve never really had a problem, more experienced jumpers have been wonderful at volunteering their time and money to jump with me and train me - of course some more than others. ;-) Usually the experienced jumpers jumping with me had 5 to 10 times the jumps I did (my 50 or a 100 to their 250 to 600) and there have been several people with up to 11,000 jumps that have made the time too.

Honestly though, I don’t see everyone getting the same treatment. Some get more, some less. In my case I’m at the DZ a lot, in fact every weekend from early until late. The Sr. jumpers see this and I have to believe that this is part of the reason they are willing to help. Someone that shows up once a month is not going to get the same help. There are a few people in particular and one more than the others that I want to say “Thank You” to. ;)

And in general if you want to get to know people obey the beer rules! It not just about getting drunk (well mainly) it’s also about bonding with more Sr. jumpers…well it’s mainly about getting drunk…:ph34r:
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Ok..try this..

WOOOO SAAAAAAA WOOOOO SSAAAAAAAA

tends to help out when things in forums get carried away!

Want to fun jump..then fun jump. Want coaching, then pay for the slot atleast. Anything worth my time and yours is going to cost someone money. Paying for a slot is a lucky way out. Most sports you pay for time, skill level, and various other things. If you can pay for the jump and pack job of the person you are learning from, you are in great shape. If you get one for free congrats, but consider it a bonus. In the end, we all know skydiving to be a sport that not only breaks the bank but causes drama along the way. If I want to learn from someone, I pay their slot and pack job. $20.00 for a jump is fair. They have put time and money into the sport and not only that, they are placing their life in harms way (so to speak) in order to teach you something. There has to be reward for that.
Sincerely,

FlyingArab
www.flyingarab.com

That SCR rocked! I agree that the look on Diane's face was definitely priceless.

Just my two cents about this thread...
I don't think that all the blame can be put on the more experienced jumpers backs. At Spaceland, there are constantly jumpers graduating from the student program that get snatched up and taken for some very educational jumps like I did. It wasn't but 2 jumps after graduating that people like Conway, Tom J, and Jim A took me under their wing and have flown with me ever since. Now at over 130 jumps, I am getting invited on big-ways, SCR's, hybrids, etc.

On the other hand, there are those low timers who don't get picked up. I've noticed that they are the people who haven't made much of an effort to be social with anyone around the DZ. They come out make some solos then leave and never say a word to anyone. I'm not saying that you need to stay out there and booze it up with everyone after sunset, but at least make the attempt to introduce yourself to the people that you see jumping there all the time. Let those people know that you are interested in jumping with them and learning what they are willing to teach. If you hide in the cracks of the DZ all day, you are probably going to get overlooked. I can guarantee that you won't be turned down if you have the right attitude. AND they might just keep you around!

Matt, be ready, your SCR will rock too! Hopefully it will be later in the day after team training so I can hop on it too. I'll be happy to spill a beer on you at Skyfest!! Congrats on graduating!:)
Kim
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

As a low time jumper that took a long (5 1/2 year) layoff from the sport I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in. When I returned to jumping this year (after going thru the AFF course again) I too was nervous at asking higher time jumpers to jump with me. I was fortunate for two reasons, 1 - I jump at what is arguably one of the friendliest DZs - Skydive Elsinore, 2 - a lovely lady at the DZ (Mel Curtis) saw that this clique of low time jumpers cowering in the corners of the DZ needed a helping hand to grow into the jumpers they wanted to be so she came up with the idea for the Excel program. This program provides free coaching for novice jumpers, working on proper body position, 2 way flying working up to 4 way and more, puts on tunnel camps over at the wind tunnel at Perris and over all provides a path for newbies into the established skydiving community making us safer and better jumpers along the way.

I have to give a million thanks to Mel Curtis for coming up with the Excel camp that has helped get me back into this fantastic sport, to John Hamilton (DZ owner & general manager and coach extraordinaire) for backing Mel's idea and all of the coaches that work with us newbies. You guys have really come up with a winner.

Oh yeah before I forget, Skydive Elsinore is putting on their 3rd annual Bridge the Gap weekend on June 5-6. This is a weekend specifically for jumpers with less than 300 jumps to work with experienced jumpers and Bridge the knowledge gap. The event includes seminars about canopy control, packing, basic body positions, tunnel training, equipment maintenance and selection.
-----------------------------------
"There are two kinds of skydivers in this world, the kind that skydive to enrich their lives and the kind that skydive to define their lives. Don't be the latter."

Not sure if this is the same everywhere, but I noticed getting invited on jumps seems to be somewhat easier for newbies if they also happen to be girls..... No fair, but true nonetheless... Not sure if I wanna know if cute guys have less trouble getting on dives :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I was fortunate for two reasons, 1 - I jump at what is arguably one of the friendliest DZs - Skydive Elsinore, 2 - a lovely lady at the DZ (Mel Curtis) saw that this clique of low time jumpers cowering in the corners of the DZ needed a helping hand to grow into the jumpers they wanted to be so she came up with the idea for the Excel program.

Yea for Mel! :)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Oh yeah before I forget, Skydive Elsinore is putting on their 3rd annual Bridge the Gap weekend on June 5-6. This is a weekend specifically for jumpers with less than 300 jumps to work with experienced jumpers and Bridge the knowledge gap.

Additional info here:Bridge the Gap

Also, May 22nd is the next Excel Basic Camp.B|

Thanks for adding the link for bridge the gap and the date of the next excel camp Shark.
-----------------------------------
"There are two kinds of skydivers in this world, the kind that skydive to enrich their lives and the kind that skydive to define their lives. Don't be the latter."

The most reasonable post on this thread.

In support of Ron (God did I say that???), bear in mind that these alleged 'skygod' badasses or whatever you want to call 'them', might in fact be skint themselves. Or possibly as shy as you, rather than 'stuck up'. I am yet to meet these mythical beings. I think they are monsters of your own making.

Oh, apart, of course, from ME, in which case, yes, I am a badass skygod, generally surrounded by nubile newbie chicks after my sky and bedroom skills. It's a hard life. [:/] But I do try to GIVE BACK to the sport. I'm just that kind of guy.

AA