seekfun

Aircraft Emergency Question

I'm a newbie with a question that popped into my head whilst staring at the damn, cloud-filled skies yesterday afternoon.

In an aircraft emergency or intentional hop-n-pop, can you deploy while head-low if you're still on the hill (belly to the relative wind, i.e. diving exit)? My thinking is that the relative wind will facilitate a relatively normal opening, with the body simply swinging a little further once gravity does its thing.

Can anyone confirm or deny my thinking on this?

I appreciate any insight, correction, or elaboration.

Rock on Milwaukee,

topher

"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

Relative wind is relative wind. For hop-n-pops I like to dive out and deploy on the hill, basically head very low to the horizon, but belly in the relative wind. Its much smoother if dumping right out the door, then dumping while "head up" and belly into the wind.

Of course, if someone did that , and wasn't belly to the wind, bad things could happen when deploying.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If I understand your post correctly, then I'd say yes, you can. It's being done on the Swoop 2 DVD (and perhaps Swoop 1) as well.

It looks very spectacular and more than a bit scary IMHO. Then again, they're going to be skimming the ground at 60+ MPH mere seconds later, so the added risk is probably negligible :P

Edited to add: What AggieDave said...I'll watch though ;)

HTH,

Ramon

In an aircraft emergency or intentional hop-n-pop, can you deploy while head-low if you're still on the hill (belly to the relative wind, i.e. diving exit)? My thinking is that the relative wind will facilitate a relatively normal opening, with the body simply swinging a little further once gravity does its thing.

Yes, you will be fine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

In an aircraft emergency or intentional hop-n-pop, can you deploy while head-low if you're still on the hill (belly to the relative wind, i.e. diving exit)?

That's my -normal- exit when camera flying for CRW.

That said, I would -not- suggest it for use by most people without some thought. You certainly wouldn't want to try it for the first time during an emergency.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That said, I would -not- suggest it for use by most people without some thought. You certainly wouldn't want to try it for the first time during an emergency.

As a jumper, it's a no big deal exit..if you're stable belly to wind you're stable belly to wind.

As a pilot, go out and practice a diveout hop n pop. In an emergency there is a good chance I won't have the time, or won't be able to afford the drag, of a poised exit.

It is in your own best interest. :)
SmugMug

Wow, thank you everyone for the fast responses. This forum is an absolutely wonderful resource for the skydiving community.

Asking questions is learning, so I'll keep posting the questions as I get them.

Now, can anyone send me some blue skies via email?

TTFN,

topher

I'm a newbie with a question that popped into my head whilst staring at the damn, cloud-filled skies yesterday afternoon.

Can anyone confirm or deny my thinking on this?

I appreciate any insight, correction, or elaboration.

Rock on Milwaukee,

topher

First learned principles my dear fellow. Remember your course. Pull, Pull at the correct altitude, pull at the correct altitude and stable.

In a low altitude bailout, choose your main or reserve and get out and pull. You'll most likely be OK. This isn't really a problem for most jumpers who learned on the static line program though. They are usedto lower altitutes. For example, my first freefall was from 2800.

When I do hop n pops, I exit with one foot on the wheel of the cessna, holding the strut, and just jump off. I deploy immediately, belly still somewhat facing forward. It can cause a snivel. I was told to not let my slider stick out very much when packing if I am planning a hop n pop.

I'm also curious as to what qualifies as a half jump. Tandem? Base?

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

can you deploy while head-low if you're still on the hill

Used to drop static liners on rounds, three in a row from a C182 at 2000ft. Last one out, pull the bags in, yell: "full prop" to the pilot, dive out towards the tail and deploy while head down.

You are right about the swing.B|

In short: Yes you can. Don't know if YOU can, though...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

If you're low, the plane is on fire and the pilot says "get out," pull silver as you clear the tail. You can survive a LOW exit (~200 ft.) if you get nylon out at the first possible moment; this may not be the case if you put any priority ahead of survival.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Thank you everyone for the continued input. I thought it was safe, and the preponderance of responses support that supposition.

I think some people are challenging me to hop n pop head-low, though. So, if the weather comes around to my way of thinking, I'll make a go at it this weekend. It's funny how an honest, simple question can unleash so much testosterone-induced chest thumping. We men must calm down.

But, at my experience level, it's all learning. And since learning means jumping, I guess I'll get to learning.

Thanks again,

topher

Sorry to go off topic, but what counts as half a jump - see mini profile: 42.5 jumps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hee! Hee!
A malfunction only counts for half a jump.
For example, I brag about only having 1 1/2 jumps on a Crossbow main canopy. On my 45 th jump, the stabilizers on my rented Crossbow (Para-Commander copy) knotted together, so I shifted my focus to the non-steerable, 24 foot flat, military-surplus round reserve on my belly.
I PLFed that 24 flat into a plowed field off the end of the runway.
I still counted 45 complete jumps, but only 1 1/2 on Lemoigne class canopies.
I also have half a jump on a huge experimental ram-air canopy that I tested for the German Army back in 1986. That jump also included stabilizers knotted together and concluded with landing a small round reserve in a French swamp.
Talk about missing a country completely!

Been there, done that, from 1200 feet when the engine quit on a C-182 one day. It works just like you have guessed, no problems. For those people who like to do a poised exit, you just might get knocked off the damn step by the three people behind you diving out in a real emergency.:D:D:D

To answer you A/C emergency question.

The dive out pull silver handle is how we (my dz) train FJS to get out of the A/C in an emergency. Never had to do it but that’s what they ‘should’ do if the need arises.

If it was me, yup if I’m low enough that I’m going to the silver handle on the exit, I’m doing it in a dive out. Of course if you’re high enough to use your main, but still relatively low a quick step of the doorframe or of the wheel strut and pull is your best bet. If your really high dive out free fall clear, and call the ball when you pull (location, jumpers coming out behind you and those out in front) I don’t really want to advise when to pull in this case it’s more of a DZ specific policy so ask your safety guy or gal.

I’ve done (used to when videoing CRW) the dive out pull, but I would caution that if your feet are really up there, that is your head is down so that your vertical it is possible to catch the pilot chute on your feet. Not a good situation. So if your going to practice this I would recommend that you wait a second to start to come of the hill the pull. I’ve had the pilot chute bounce off my feet before; gooood times.

Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

Hop and Pops and aircraft emergency exit's on the same thread interesting. :S

For the folks that are confused about their priorities when the rubber band breaks please sit as far away from the door as possible.

If you want to take your time decideing what to do go for it. Just don't take everyone else's! You may figure it out by the time you see the pilot exit.

R.I.P.

Slug,

Believe me, if the rubber band breaks and the pilot yells, "Get the ^%$# out of the plane!!!", I'll be in compliance with the command.

I was just asking a physics question, really. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to deploy my bag through my Nikes and have something else to deal with on top of rubber band schrapnel flying everywhere.

Thanks...

topher

Sorry to go off topic, but what counts as half a jump - see mini profile: 42.5 jumps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hee! Hee!
A malfunction only counts for half a jump.

Wow. I didn't know that. I would have counted it as 2 jumps ie. 2 freefall and 2 canopy deployments but 1 landing. ;)

this is sorta a spin-off of the reply a couple posts above mine (look up ^) Just out of curiosity, what do TANDEMS do if jumpers need to exit the plane @ a low altitude?

i would assume the TDM masters bust their ass to hook the student up ASAP, but what about Cypres issues etc.? Maybe this should be common sense, so enlighten me :)

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

this is sort of a spin-off of a reply a couple of posts above this one (look UP ^).... and this is probably common sense so bear with me. Out of curiosity, what do TANDEMS do if jumpers need to exit @ lower altitudes (open to interpretation)?

I would assume the TDM master busts their ass to hook up the student ASAP, but what about things like the Cypres issue, etc.??

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com