BigM

Paul Rafferty Memorial Jump

Yesterday I went to visit old friends at Blue Sky Adventures in St. George, SC. The CSL meet was going on and everyone stayed busy. Last jump of the day, we put together a 20-way memorial jump for Paul Rafferty, with many on the load being long time friends with Paul. After the formation built, we flew it to 6k, where we had a designated puller to have a "missing man" formation until break-off. It was a very nice way to end the day.

No big news here. Just thought that I would share. Others have probably already done something similar for Paul, and still others may have plans to. Either way, eternal Blue Skies to you Paul.

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

We did "the" memorial dive Saturday afternoon around 6pm at Raeford. There were hundreds of people in attendance. Someone flew Paul's family down from PA in a King Air. There was a service, some people spoke, then the list was called for the dirt dive. It was a 39-way wacker-looking thing with a 4-way donut in the center which we opened up to a star. One un-named person is going to hell :ph34r:for going low (not me). Paul's urn was carried in a box strapped to the front of Gary O'Neil in the center of the formation. Paul's brother, Bill, flew to the center and pulled out at around 5. People came from as far away as Thailand to be a part of it. More than a few people had to take it WAY down into the thick air to get clean before dumping. Greg Windmiller landed last with the american flag, then the military honor guard fired the volley and taps was played; it was very somber. After that, we all got incredibly liquored up and ate barbecue. I was up till after 4am and never fully recovered from my hangover yesterday. Driving three hours back to Augusta truly sucked last night.

edited to add: We kept the dive to a 39-way because Paul's urn made him the 40th jumper. Also, Paul was 40 years old so the decision was made to keep it at that. There were enough world champions on the dropzone to have easilly made it a 60-way with the planes that were available.

Chuck

If anyone ever again asks me again, what was my most memorable jump, I now know what to say!
Jumping the American flag to be given to Pauls daughter was not only an honor that I feel so unworthy of, but also one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life.
If I knew that I would have 1/100th of the friends that Paul had to celebrate my life when I pass then I could go tomorrow a happy man and satisfied with my life.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

I hope there has been more of these done in Paul's honor. And for the un-named individual... Paul would have gotten a kick out of ragging their ass for it!

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

It was a spectacular weekend at Raeford.

Paul would have been so proud to see all those faces looking back at him in that round on Saturday.
It was awe inspiring just being on the ground and to see so many wonderful people there to see him off, was a tribute to how loved he was and will always be.

The unnamed individual became a very drunk individual as I recall!

Huge thanks to everyone that made it possible at RPC and to the guys at ST George for honouring him after the meet.

Fly forever free Raff.

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

If I recall there were quite a few very drunk individuals after that jump. The bar was full when they ran us out so.....:S

Indeed a very good tribute to an amazing guy.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

If I recall there were quite a few very drunk individuals after that jump. The bar was full when they ran us out so.....:S

Go trick-or-beering! At least a few individuals showed up at my campy at 3:15 screaming "we are here. give us your beer!"

Great seeing you again. Come visit Raeford more often!

Yeah, definitely a great tribute! Greg coming in dead on with that flag is definitely something I'm going to remember for a very long time!

I was dead asleep in the campie by midnight both Friday and Saturday nights but that didn't stop other individuals from coming in and mixing Rum-runners!:S I guess I've been on the giving end of drunken nig-noggery enough - it was time for me to be on the receiving end!:D

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here