Hummusx

Shipping a rig

Is there any reason we should be concerned about shipping our rigs UPS 2-day air? Do they X-ray packages they ship, and if so should we post something about the AADs on the outside of the box? Doesn't seem to me that it should be any kind of problem, but then I'd rather ask than be sorry. =)

Do they X-ray packages they ship, and if so should we post something about the AADs on the outside of the box?

I've shipped lots of AAD's via UPS and FedEx air; never a problem as far as that's concerned. They might xray them but AFAIK you don't need to tell them what's in there.

Hummusx,

You can safely ship your rig via UPS, USPS, FedEx, or bicycle messenger.

The AADs have been checked for adverse effects from XRAY, and there are none.

The USPA does suggest that you NOT pack your rig in your checked luggage when travelling - in case it needs to be opened for inspection - but there is no problem with the XRAY equipment. So, if flying, carry your rig on in a gear bag.

USPA related links:
TSA - travelling with rig document

USPA - tips on travelling with your rig

If you're worried about them thinking that the rig is something funny, then you should make a note on the box. And, the manufacturer of your AAD should have no problems providing you with documentation telling the shippers what to expect in an XRAY. I got some information to this effect from Airtec for my CYPRESS 2 for when I took it on a commerical flight.

Hope this helps,

topher

"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins