aggie04

question for packers

I am a newbie (as y'all say) and I have only made 2 tandems, im working on my 3rd and 4th so i can move on to AFF level 4 i think. Anyway, I am getting trained in how to pack next weekend and depending on that am going to be a packer...but i have NO experience as of now...any advice? anything to look out for? anything to ease my fears of screwing up? Kinda a big responsibility. Thanks and gig 'em

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A life without a cause
is a life without an effect

A couple things for ya, since "back in the day" I was a paid packer...:P

Packing, generally, is pretty easy and straight forward. Packer Steve is a very very good and meticulous packer and he expects the same from the packers, so he's going to teach it to you that way.

It also takes a bit of talent to truely pack a mal, or it takes lack of attention to detail.

Don't worry, you'll have a lot of practice before you do it "for real" so you'll have some confidence when that time comes.B|

You're going to have fun, quit worrying about it!B|B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't let yourself get frustrated, we all couldn't pack at first. Just keep trying, all of a sudden you will get it.
And if I EVER get to come home you will get to meet me and see how backwards I pack, and I have yet to pack a mal so it must be hard to do.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

Don't worry you'll do fine. Just pay close attention, do what is taught. When you become a packer... and you will if that's what you want ;) .... keep your back straight, and at the end of the day wash your hands and put some good lotion on them. Take afternoon classes for the semester so you can sleep in on Mondays.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

thanks, i know i'll have fun...i am so excited!! I may actually get my A license by the end of the summer. was fun meeting everyone the other night and im trying to get those two tandems in asap so i can start AFF. thanks for everything!! :)

A life without a cause

Lets see, get the lines straight, the slider up, the bridle right, and the rest does not matter. Well that was the case back in the 80's or 70's, has it changed since then???:S
No really, that is the basics, but with todays higher performing wings it is necessary to pay attention to the "packing of the parachute", but the basics will never change. Lines, slider, & bridle. Scott Miller has an excellent course, and there are alot of good videos such as Pack Like A Pro that will give you the confidence you need. If you get a chance to be where Performance Designs might be doing demos and John LeBlanc is there take advantage of his knowledge.
Don't worry you will do just fine.

www.skyfestboogie.com
A skydiving scholarship event for everyone!

When learning to pack it is best to try and learn from one person. If you use several different people they may all have slightly different ways to pack (and ways to teach you to pack) and it will be very hard to learn to pack.

Also don’t worry about how long it takes you to pack a parachute, speed comes with experience.

Take notes on what procedure comes next, I have found that most people when learning to pack know what to do but not in what order (do I set the brakes now?, etc.) so if you write down the key points you can use it as a study guide or a cheat sheet when packing.

Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

Seek quality instruction and supervision. The FAA requires that "paid packers" be under the supervision of a rigger. That's easy to arrange, but you should understand what it involves. I wrote a feature for Parachutist magazine a while back that outlines the specific regulations and what the FAA expects. You will find an online version listed as Article 11 "Who Can Pack A Main Parachute" at http://ranchskydive.com/safety/index.htm

Packing can be hard work, but it certainly gives you a solid understanding of how a parachute works, and it places you right in the thick of the drop zone social order. Packing is a great way to pay for your skydiving habit and to get to know the other jumpers at you DZ.

Have a great summer season!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

so...i learned to pack this weekend and even had one of mine jumped...and it opened, aparently a nice opening as well. So, thanks everyone for the help! The only thing i need to get down is getting it in the stupid bag >:( besides that, all went well and I packed my FIRST pack job :P

A life without a cause

When my novices are having trouble with getting the parachute in the bag I have them just practice that for a while. Basically pack it up to the bag, get in the bag, then pull it out carefully and re-work the cigar roll and place it back in the bag, repeat until you’re sick of it or you feel good about how it went in. But, this is a practice pack, and should not be jumped, all the in the bag and out plus re-working the roll can change things inside so it’s best to be safe.

Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

Good Luck.It's a great way to make some jump money.You will learn new things about gear and parachutes.Never hesitate to ask a rigger a question.If it seems like it needs attention,seam stitching,holes,rips whatever inform your customer.Have Fun.

I am also a "newbie" considering doing some packing to help support my addiction.

I've learned to ask these questions and made some of these observations.

Different brands of containers close differently. Some go bottom, left, right, top. Some want bottom, right, left, top. I've seen one that closes top first. Ask the owner of the rig about the closing order of the flaps if you are even the slightest bit unsure.

When you S fold the canopy, do you fold it into the bag or outside of the bag and then insert? F111 canopies are easy to fold into the bag, thus making it much easier in my opinion. ZP mains are a bit tougher to do this with, depending on the size of the canopy compared to the size of the bag. I saw one (bag) this past weekend that my boxers wouldn't go into. How he got a ZP in there I'll never know.

Some people likes their lines at the bottom of the container, some like them up against their backside. Ask.

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

Different brands of containers close differently. Some go bottom, left, right, top. Some want bottom, right, left, top. I've seen one that closes top first. Ask the owner of the rig about the closing order of the flaps if you are even the slightest bit unsure.

I learned bottom, top, right, left but also learned always do it the way the owner wants it.

***When you S fold the canopy, do you fold it into the bag or outside of the bag and then insert? F111 canopies are easy to fold into the bag, thus making it much easier in my opinion. ZP mains are a bit tougher to do this with, depending on the size of the canopy compared to the size of the bag. I saw one (bag) this past weekend that my boxers wouldn't go into. How he got a ZP in there I'll never know.

he taught me to fold it outside the bag then put it in. The only size i have worked on though is the 200.
Thanks for all the advice, i'll go with the "when in doubt ask" policy

A life without a cause

When I first started packing I learned from one person, but then I started watching other people from my dz pack and picked up some things they were doing that seemed to make things a lot easier.
I found it faster and easier by starting with the D line group and moving up to the A line group in the canopy. When you do it this way you are pulling the next line group out so you can see them right away. Finding all the lines for each group seems to trip up newbies some times.
There are some other little things that will help too and I'm sure any packer would be glad to give you tips if you ask.

F111 canopies are easy to fold into the bag, thus making it much easier in my opinion. ZP mains are a bit tougher to do this with

I 100% disagree with you. The method that I use (same that was taught to her by the head packer, not me) is outside the bag, and if you know how to control it, its faster and neater then folding it into the bag as you go, no matter what your packing, from a F111 canopy, to a sub-100 X-braced to a huge-ass tandem canopy.

That's just my opinion, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm in the same boat. After four jumps on Saturday and a Saturday night full of drinking, I thought it would be a good idea to start the pack course. Probably the dumbest thing I've done in skydiving to this point. It is a meticulous, nerve racking experience in the beginning but thankfully my rigger is patient. I'm only about 1/4 of the way there but I just have to be patient.

I'm in the same boat. After four jumps on Saturday and a Saturday night full of drinking, I thought it would be a good idea to start the pack course. Probably the dumbest thing I've done in skydiving to this point. It is a meticulous, nerve racking experience in the beginning but thankfully my rigger is patient. I'm only about 1/4 of the way there but I just have to be patient.

haha ya...i was in bed VERY early the night before i learned...was a good thing too. And nerve racking it is indeed, although i was not quite as nervous when it got jumped as I though I would be. Then again I had someone watching me pack it. good luck learning :)

A life without a cause

You need to learn the two most important words to any packer: "body position".:P

Seriously, packing well is not as hard as it would seem. Packing fast is another matter, but soon you will have your packing dance down, and your speed will increase tremendously.

- Dan G