Vertifly

Hello, my name is _______, and I <insert stupidity here>...

:|turned low today [:/] and am so ashamed :( ...

Yes, that's right!!! I'm starting this thread as punishment. Well, punishment to myself at the very least. If you would like to contibute a story of stupidity that you've learned from, please post it here.

It will really help me look better and maybe we'll all learn something too.

Vertifly

ps. here's mine...

Just a far spot from the DZ... off to the west. I had just enough altitude to do a mild left hook turn right above the beer line and back onto the field. I performed the hook nice, slow, and conservative... It actually looked pretty good (if I do say so myself :$).

But then there was a team-jumper who would have gone by on my right!!! I saw him and turned to the right when I should have just stayed straight - almost plowing him down and sliding through his canopy that was lying in front of him.

B| I am such an ASS-BAG!!! B|

I turned low twice...
1st was last summer, 180 front riser turn and then both front risers, was a bit short (to clear a field and a road), and brainlocked... let go risers and hit brakes to get quicker on horizontal... hit knees and went up 2 meters... luckily just got bruises on the knees... and a scary video.
2nd was a landing 6 weeks ago, double front risers, was gonna pass right from a friend who landed before, he was standing with his canopy on the right, so decided to carve a little to pass on his left and high five him. But the carve was a bit late, was already sliding... Soo I lost my balance and rolled on the ground... This video was funny though.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hello, my name is jib and I did a 3 cartwheels as a result of downwinding it at about 18 knots.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

During Scott Miller's canopy control course on Friday, we were supposed to practice flaring about ten times before coming in for our approach. I was so busy focusing on the flares, that I wasn't paying any attention to where I was or where I was heading. Long story short, I was facing downwind, and by the time I started noticing this, it was 1500 feet, and I was way downwind of the landing area. :$ Luckily, I managed to turn my pattern into one long final approach and made it just fine, but boy did I feel stupid.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

My name is Kris, and when I did my first hop n' pop, I exited on the red light.

(the JM gave a very dramatic point out the door, and I thought she was telling me to go, but she was telling me to look, because we weren't anywhere near the DZ! Luckily, I was flying a tuna-boat of a canopy and made it back just fine.)

Jumped in high wnds Sat.
Note to self : When jumping in high winds, make sure you can penetrate the wind before setting up directly above the dz. And don't jump just because you need a jump. If the trees be swayin I'll be stayin.(on the ground).

ya I turned low in February. I don't know why, was coming in for my landing, and did a 180 degree TOGGLE turn. Won't do that EVER again! Banged myself up pretty good. Still hoping to get the doctor's okays to jump next month :S. Looks positive, but we'll see.

blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Hello, My Name is J, and I Learned that flaring your Canopy is a Good Idea.

Yep I F*CKed up this weekend too. On Sunday, Coming in on Final at about 15 to 20 feet I hit Turbulence. It felt like I just fell through a Trap Door. I did attempt to PLF and just started to Flare about the time my Knees Hit. Nothing Broken but There are a few Vertebrae in my back that definitely do not like being this close to each other and are letting me know about their displeasure. Basically I feel like someone hit me in the back with a baseball Bat. Called in sick to work today for the first time in two years cause things like Breathing hurts however I do think I have discovered the right combination of Pain pills, Muscle Relaxers and Beer to make things good again.

Stupid Hurts in this sport. Lesson Learned.. Next time instead of thinking Oh Shit This is going to Hurt, Think Oh Shit Flare NOW!!!

I did the same yesterday, and I have to show for it is a little bruised...............ego.

Ha, Ha, Ha. Ross you got that on video?

Love ya bro,
Ron
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

ok...Scott and... so.. I learned that you're supposed to eat the carrot this weekend...

On jump two of the day yesterday I didn't set up properly and ended up landing cross wind. I did Flair mostly correctly but somehow managed to end up with the back of my left hand hitting the ground which resulted in a pair of broken metacarples (2nd and 3rd) B|... Right where my Altimeter sits on my hand (I'm wondering if that had some kind of effect on the location of the break... like it got caught up in the grass... the Alti isn't broken though...)

Nice ugly torsional breaks... Hoping It doesn't require pins and subsiquently surgery. :S

it does mean I'll be out for 6 weeks or so... assuming my comanders don't ban me from jumping.

I
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I did the same yesterday, and I have to show for it is a little bruised...............ego.

Ha, Ha, Ha. Ross you got that on video?

Love ya bro,
Ron

man, I wished.... you would've heard at about 50ft - "This is gonna suck...." cause that's all I could think of.. Everyone that saw it thought I was going to have something broken cause the landing was VERY hard (or so it looked)

The landing after flaring was probably still around 20mph. I had to clean out about 5 step-throughs...

Jason...On a six way track this weekend I was on my back at break off...had 4 above me tracked away, turned over and dumped directly below lucky number 5. Lost him in the sun. Had plenty of alti to give it a few more secs, should have taken them to find number 5 instead of trying to kill us both. From now on I will (Alti permitting) find those I'm jumping with so as to not see my friend diving past me close and at high speed.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Solo jump last Saturday, last one out of the Otter, I gave about 10 seconds to a 3 way ahead of me. Out the door, doing my things, looking at the 3 way entering a nice puffy cloud. I tracked away from them for a couple thousand feet, since I couldn't see where they were anymore; looked down, the cloud is about 1,000 ft below me, and SO IS someone in a perfect boxman, in the cloud, straight below me. And I am catching up to him/her FAST. No time to do anything but bracing myself for terminal impact. I was REALLY bracing myself for the worst. Then I went right through my own shadow................:$ Dumb Ass! Made for a great rush though, and an even greater grin on my face when I exited the cloud!

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Nataly and I did a couple stupid things while in Perris Valley, California a few weeks ago.

Short version: I took a very experienced jumper head-down with me.. Going well until I realized he had NO ALITITUDE AWARENESS... Tried to shake him to let him know the ground was coming FAST.. Got sucked in low instead of pushing him away..

Pulled low, found drop-zone, just missed power-lines, committed to a down-wind landing, stuck my toe out and thought--oh shit--went toe, then knee, then shoulder, then face, then let up on toggles--and smacked over on my back.. Got up, spit out the dust between my teeth, and vainly tried to brush off the dust that covered me from head-to-toe...

Hurried to said jumper--he had no idea we broke off low, screaming at very high speeds.. Said that next time he'd pay more attention--dude there will be no next time, I said.

Walked away to collect my thoughts & told him later why that dive scared me..

Got up next day, began drinking at 08:00 AM--was thoroughly drunk by noon, and fine by the next day.

Moral of the story: at 60-something jumps and 6 weeks into the sport, and second day at a new DZ, under a brand-new 135 canopy, don't assume that a guy with 800+ BELLY JUMPS (oops, forgot to ask that..) is safe for head-down.

Nataly :P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

My most recent stupid move was putting the canopy into a tree. I cut base too short and was going way long on a no-wind day. I'd been doing some toggle turns trying to bleed off altitude and finally got low enough I figured I should turn back into the pattern. Of course being a no-wind day and little if any other traffic (and me being rather far away from the pea's), I should have just chosen a different heading that would take me back to a clear area. Instead I landed with the canopy in a tree. Ooops.

Disclaimer: Just because this is what I would have done don't take it as advice. I'm not even a 100 jump wonder yet.

My most embarassing stupid move was on around jump 40. I tracked too long; looked at my altimeter while in track and saw 2800. Instead of dumping immediately I stopped the track and then waved off. IIRC I was in the saddle by 1600 feet. Got myself grounded for that move. Morale: altitude awareness (duh), and don't blindly follow routine when there's a damn good reason not to.

Hooked it too high and went to double fronts to keep the dive going. Held the double fronts too long and landed two and a half times.

A big guy came up and yelled at me. I deserved it.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

My name is Joe and I flew into a parked Otter. That's right. I came in on final and was so relaxed that I was partially in half brakes on a no wind morning and just kept floating and floating and floating. Fixated on the Otter and well what they say about fixation on objects is true, you fixate on it you hit it.;)

Liz... and I did a low turn a few weekends ago too rather than land downwind. Was too busy thinkin about the bomb-digity jump i had just done, and making it back to the airport... and, well, I turned a bit too low. The powers that be were on my side, and I was promptly told to go work on my flat turns and smarten up. My bad. Won't happen again. :P

Good thread Dave. B|

Trista, and as a newbie, I brainlocked. I opened at 4500, lower than I had before, and was overwhelmed by all of the other jumpers on what had always previously been a wide open field for me to land in where-ever I wanted. I was so busy trying to find a spot between them that I failed to fly the end of my pattern and had to accept a downwind landing as I was too low to turn. I also ended up doing a braked turn to avoid the plane, as it approached for the next load.