nael

Pilot chute caught underneath main

I'm a student, jumping rigs with spring loaded pilot chutes, yesterday mine got stuck underneath the main and I landed with it that way (stressing out a few people on the ground!)

I've since found out I did the wrong thing by not cutting away, but I was stupid and didnt look up at my canopy again after I checked it just after opening, so I had no idea it was even caught until I landed. Incidently, the canopy flew fine the whole time.

I just wanted to know if the pilot chutes on a sport rig cause more/less of a problem if they are caught underneath the main? If it happens again, I've been told to cutaway, but does that go for collapsable pilot chutes too?
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

I'm no expert but I'm surprised they told you to cut away. Happened to me a lot with student rigs. The spring has a lot more inertia than regular pilot chute and can get thrown over the nose sometimes. When it happened to me, the canopy was never deformed at all and flew normally. I was always told it was normal and perfectly safe.

Dave

You are walking, you are talking, you did the right thing.
Hindsight is 20/20

After You open Your parachute You need to evaluate it, look for shape and then make a controlability check. If the parachute appears to fly normal chances are that You will be able to land it.

Certain partial malfunctions will pass a controlability check and still be hazardous to land, example broken lines, or tears.

Every situation is different, try to evaluate what You have and determine whether cutting away will aggrevate the situation or make it better.

Talk to experienced instructors.
Play "what if" scenarios in Your head.
Establish plans of action.
Watch other people.
Stay alive.
Never give up.

Mathias
Ingen minns en fegis!

After You open Your parachute You need to evaluate it, look for shape and then make a controlability check. If the parachute appears to fly normal chances are that You will be able to land it.

I checked it as soon as it opened, I'm pretty sure the pilot chute was not caught then (surely I would have noticed it!), it must have happened later. It flew fine.

A big spring loaded pilot chute will give a heap load more drag if in the wrong place than a collapsible PC on most sport rigs. Was the PC over the front and then back through under tha canopy? i have seen that configuration laded several times at Picton.

Surprised they told you yuou should have chopped but what you learnt more is to really check your canopy - the last thing you want are surprises at 100 feet.

How is AFF going Nicole? I haven't been down since Oli, Rusty & I took the day off for what is now fondly known as "eight jump Thursday"

i also forgot to ask Oli about his jumpsuit and will do so...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Hey chris! Apparently it wasnt underneath and out the back of the canopy, it was just stuck underneath near the A lines.

I finished AFF a couple of weeks ago now. I'm up to B-rel stage 4 now!

Thats cool about the suit, just ask him when you get a chance, there's no rush!

I'm a student, jumping rigs with spring loaded pilot chutes, yesterday mine got stuck underneath the main and I landed with it that way (stressing out a few people on the ground!)

I've since found out I did the wrong thing by not cutting away, but I was stupid and didnt look up at my canopy again after I checked it just after opening, so I had no idea it was even caught until I landed. Incidently, the canopy flew fine the whole time.

I just wanted to know if the pilot chutes on a sport rig cause more/less of a problem if they are caught underneath the main? If it happens again, I've been told to cutaway, but does that go for collapsable pilot chutes too?

It would have been nice if you had noticed it and I'm sure you learned that. Assuming you jump a big stable canopy (I do) the only effect I've experienced is anxiety :) I don't understand the chop rationale.

BSBD

Michael

I don't understand the chop rationale.

I was told it would have been better to chop because of the risk of it getting tangled in my lines and causing the canopy to collapse.

It was my first stand up landing, and I was so excited, but all I got was an earfull from my boyfriend about the pilot chute. Apparently he doesnt like stress. :S

I am genuinely surprised that you were told that the situation merited an automatic cutaway. Did the instructional staff tell you that, or someone else?

edit: This is something you need to get clarified, since it WILL happen to you again.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I guess this is more a topic for the INCIDENT FORUM. Anyway, big student canopy, pilot chute underneath (pretty common), passed the controlability check: LAND IT! No need to chop. But you should have seen it... Never mind, I'm sure you'll see it next time!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I've since found out I did the wrong thing by not cutting away

the canopy flew fine the whole time.

Clearly you did the right thing.

didnt look up at my canopy again after I checked it just after opening

Yes, you should have checked your canopy. Read the post where the jumper landed hard because the slider was only half-way down and they never checked their canopy.

Depends. Fast canopy and a non-collapsable PC, yes, it will cause a problem. Even on a not-so-fast canopy it will cause a problem. With a collaspable PC, no-problem.

Derek

Fast canopy and a non-collapsable PC, yes, it will cause a problem. Even on a not-so-fast canopy it will cause a problem. With a collaspable PC, no-problem.

Derek

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To rephrase Derek's comment: When you buy a smaller, faster canopy, you should also buy a compatible pilot chute (i.e. kill-line). A kill-line pilot chute will eliminate most canopy/pilot chute entanglements.

Incidentally, I have landed a dozen or so tandems with the drogue (a really big pilot chute) or d-bag over the nose. A worst they turned slowly, not a valid excuse for pulling reserve handle.

In conclusion, you did the right thing. It was big and stable and going slow and you could steer it. Since you walked away from the landing, you made the correct decision.

I don't understand the chop rationale.

Depends on where it got stuck. Once I saw one entangled with the steering lines. Flew fine untill it collapsed on landing as the jumper flared the canopy.
The jumper busted his ankle (didn't break it though...)
If you can steer it and flare it, stick with it. If it happens to low (or you find out to low) ditto.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Maybe, the absolute cut-away for this configuration is due to the chance that the pilot chute might start to spin and if it’s caught in a line, especially a brake line it would start to wind up the that line and start a turn that would get worse with time.

I had this happen once in Lodi a long time ago, the bag sliped past the stopper and went to the pilot chute (on opening), it fell in front and through the lines, started to twist and take the brakes lines with it. Allmost immediately I had to counter with opposite toggle to keep the Conquest 150 (Sabre like) flying straight. I would have cut it away, but with my round reserve and on the wrong side of the highway I decide that it was better to try to land the main than take a chance with landing a round in the grape stakes. Long story short, by the time I landed, the pilot chute had wraped up enough line and now canopy to create a very good turn, if I wasn’t keeping it straight with opposite toggle. It was a intersesting flight.

So if someone at the DZ had a similar situation they might have decide that a student wouldn’t be able to see this problem high enough, and either get hurt when they couldn’t fly it straight, or when they cut away low.

Just a thought.
Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

Who told you that you should have chopped it? If it was just someone on the dropzone then don't listen to them - listen to your instructors. If it was an instructor, then I'm surprised. I'd ask them why, so you can make an educated decision if something similar (but not identical) happens again.

My instructors told me that if it has just fallen over the top of the canopy at the front in the middle, then it shouldn't cause a problem. When it happened to me it was still just as controlable and flareable so I landed it.

They said that if it had falled over the front, but to one of the sides of the canopy, that could cause it to start to turn. If its turning, that makes it harder to control and flare so I'd probably get off it.

It was my first stand up landing, and I was so excited, but all I got was an earfull from my boyfriend about the pilot chute. Apparently he doesnt like stress.

As you've seen by now, pretty much everyone is surprised that you were told to chop it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that it was your boyfriend that told you to chop it, not the instructional staff.

Is this the case?
If so, what is his experience level and what ratings does he hold?

-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

(just a general thought - couldnt be bothered to go back to the top to reply!)

I would be bearing in mind while doing controlability checks on that situation that going to the reserve leaves you with NO OTHER OPTIONS... surely if you think you can land the main, it is better to go with that.

That said, almost every situation is different.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I checked it as soon as it opened, I'm pretty sure the pilot chute was not caught then (surely I would have noticed it!), it must have happened later. It flew fine.

it almost had to have happened during opening. only other way a big heavy spring like that can go over the nose is either on opening, or if you stall it.
make sure when you check your canopy after opening, to really take a good look at everything.

other then that, if it flew fine, then you did the right thing by landing it.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that it was your boyfriend that told you to chop it, not the instructional staff.
Is this the case?
If so, what is his experience level and what ratings does he hold?

It wasnt him that first told me I should have chopped it, but the guy who told me I should have does have instructor ratings, but isnt one of my instructors. My boyfriend also has instructor ratings but also isnt one of my instructors (but none of my instructors seemed to see it) and my boyfriend said that with my experience level and the way the pilot chute was hanging it would have been a good idea to chop.

After all the responses here, I asked them to elaborate more on why I should have chopped but everyone here says if it flew fine I was ok to land it. I was told the pilot chute was wrapped around 2 of the A lines in the centre. My boyfriend then told me that since I am walking, I did fine, but next time it happens he wants to know that I've seen it (and believe me, I have learnt that I need to look up many times while under canopy!). I will ask the other guy who told me I should have chopped to explain why in more detail next weekend.

Thanks for the responses. Oh, and I didnt put this in the incidents forum because I assumed it was something that happens fairly often, and since it didnt cause a problem it wasnt really an incident.

At the end of the day, YOU were the one flying the canopy - it's 100% your decision to chop or not. I'm assuming the canopy you were flying wasn't affected too much by the PC, (ie in too much of a turn) otherwise you would have noticed at some stage in your canopy flight and looked up to see what was causing the problem. So you would have had a canopy that was;
~Large
~Pretty much (if not totally) rectangular
~Controlable
As far as I remember from being a student, that means you keep what you have. After all, why get rid of a canopy you can land under?

Just my 2cents. :)

Durham University Freefall Club

Grounds For Divorce website (band I'm in)