rebellogan

Tipping

Is it expected to tip a tandem master or AFF instructor even though they are being paid for the training? If so how much?

Hi Rebellogan

Same as a resturant 10% minimum 20% for extra good service.

R.I.P.

Is it expected to tip a tandem master or AFF instructor even though they are being paid for the training? If so how much?

at sdc it wasn't so much a tip- but there it was said that if you didn't buy the instructors a bottle of don juan, then you didn't get your A licence... who am i to argue?

-Seth :)

I visited a dropzone a while back that actually had a sign posted saying you had to tip your tandem instructor. Pretty tacky.

IMO, A "one time" Tandem would be more likey to tip.

An AFF or Static line student who is trying to get through the student levels, then get their "A" licence and eventually buy their own gear is already spending a fortune to do all this.

Doesn't a certain dropzone in Arizona charge $400 for AFF level 1?

In my line of work, it is always a kind gesture to tip the soundman before a performance. Tips are nice but should never be expected.

If you want tips, go work in a bar.

I believe that tips should never be expected or made mandatory. I do get tips, fairly often actually, and I appreciate them when they are given. I think they are given based on the quality of the student's experience, and the resources they have available.

How much? I usually get between $10 and $20, which works out to 4% to 9%. The biggest cash tip I ever got was $40.
Arrive Safely

John

As others said, a tip is never ever expected. It is a nice thing to do, though.

Whats the difference your tip might make? Well, I'll use me as an example. Lets say that someone tips me $20 for having a good time and really enjoying a tandem. That means that my fiance and I will probably actually go out to eat that night. Or depending on what time of the month it is, if its bill time of the month, then bills, oh it'll help.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I echo the posts here who feel that tips "should not be expected". A tip is a little something from whomever does the tipping as a way of expressing their thanks for the good time which they just had. We have an instructor at my DZ who actually trolls for tips, and tells the student that, "if they have a good time then they should tip". I feel that this is totally inappropriate and tacky to say the least.

Tipping............

What is this world coming too..............
If the instructors are expecting this ( tipping ) then i want to know before hand.......I will take my buisness somewhere else.........
On the other hand.......I have no problem buying the guy's/gal's who helped me thru my training to obtain my A Lic. a beer while hanging out at the end of the day......

***If you want tips, go work in a bar.

like scottjaco said

that's my 0.02cents worth

--------------------------------------------
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

I wanted to clarify something about what I was saying and what could be implied.

The tipping I was refering to was from "one timers" tandem students. My Cat A/B students, coaching students or whatever else along those lines, I definately don't expect or really even want a tip.

If I'm working with a "true" student, and they want to do something for appreciation, then they could pour me a beer out of the keg (its free) at the end of the day. Of course, required with that is they need to tell me how their last jump went, how they're doing, etc.:)

I had a "one timer" about a month ago give me $20 since she really had a good time, thought I did a good job and wanted to show it. Now, this is whats cool, she wanted everyone to know she had a good time, so without having said anything to anyone or asking any questions, she gave the packer a $10 tip, the pilot a $10 tip and the video guy a $15 tip. Obviously none of us expected it, but it was very nice of her to do it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You don't tip professionals.

For those whoring out themselves and skydiving, tip them.

Michael

Hi CRWMike

Not trying to start a fight:)
Waitresses, Taxi drivers among many others are professionals not whores, they don't get paid very much & if a customer wants to tip them thats choice sort of:)
Nurses Dr's etc are also pro's and wouldn't accept a tip.

Personally I've never tipped anyone or payed anyone for coaching etc in the skydiving industry, except at Z-hills where the L.O. requested a buck for the load organizing the walk up loads.

I've never asked a low timer to pay me for doing a two way.

No reason to rehash why we have a coach program, I agree with you on that one.

Some CRW folks believe it or not want to be paid for teaching the young CRW pups.:( It's a changeing world.

You don't tip professionals.

Michael

Hi CRWMike

Not trying to start a fight:)
Waitresses, Taxi drivers among many others are professionals not whores, they don't get paid very much & if a customer wants to tip them thats choice sort of:)
Nurses Dr's etc are also pro's and wouldn't accept a tip.

Personally I've never tipped anyone or payed anyone for coaching etc in the skydiving industry, except at Z-hills where the L.O. requested a buck for the load organizing the walk up loads.

I've never asked a low timer to pay me for doing a two way.

No reason to rehash why we have a coach program, I agree with you on that one.

Some CRW folks believe it or not want to be paid for teaching the young CRW pups.:( It's a changeing world.

Hey bro, no worries ...I don't fight. A long time ago, I lived a violent life. It wasn't really my intention, but the decisions I make took me there, so it was certainly my responsibility. I've spent the past 30 years trying to be a better man. You're safe from me on that account. Being my patient, based on recent experiences, doesn't seem to be a good idea.

There are customers and there are students. Any instructor who accepts a student and receives money to teach is OK in my book if they are competent and treat their students well. Accepting tips is not part of this in skydiving. You and I both know skydiving has steadily been moving toward viewing students as sources of revenue (fleecing the tourists) ...a way to make a buck and stroke your ego.

I don't like that the recent crop of CRWDogs who are charging money, but I can live with it. I have a harder time with the ones who lost sight of we are all in this together, for CRW, and view it as all about their accomplishments as elite who need x number of Canopy Formation Pilots to accomplish their individual goals. Mike Lewis was the last truly great CRW organizer. Much could be learned from his actions, style and accomplishments.

In summary, if you are going to charge money to teach, fine. You want tips, you're pretty much a skydiving cabana boy with pretentions of being the lifeguard.

Michael

Michael

Tipping is a gesture of gratitude for service.

Skydiving IS a service industry. Just as a bartender or waitress is paid for their TIME, Instructors and coaches are paid for their TIME. Not for their service.

This is the only avenue an attentive or insightful Instructor can be compensated for their talent and courteous service.

Most students easily recognize a coach and Instructor that goes above and beyond the minimums to help them have a good experience, succeed when Instructors who are giving the minimums fail to help them achieve their goals, or simply go the extra mile when it may not be part of their job - but it is the right thing to do.

Those students often tip me. I do NOT refuse this gesture of gratitude - it is part of my livelihood! It is sometimes the only thing that feeds me! It is NOT expected but it IS always appreciated!

I am a professional. It treat my students and my customers with respect and professional courtesy. If you are not familiar with the subtleties of teaching students, you may not recognize some of them require more time, energy, and talent to teach.

As a professional, I deserve to be compensated for this.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Tipping is a gesture of gratitude for service.

Skydiving IS a service industry. Just as a bartender or waitress is paid for their TIME, Instructors and coaches are paid for their TIME. Not for their service.

This is the only avenue an attentive or insightful Instructor can be compensated for their talent and courteous service.

Most students easily recognize a coach and Instructor that goes above and beyond the minimums to help them have a good experience, succeed when Instructors who are giving the minimums fail to help them achieve their goals, or simply go the extra mile when it may not be part of their job - but it is the right thing to do.

Those students often tip me. I do NOT refuse this gesture of gratitude - it is part of my livelihood! It is sometimes the only thing that feeds me! It is NOT expected but it IS always appreciated!

I am a professional. It treat my students and my customers with respect and professional courtesy. If you are not familiar with the subtleties of teaching students, you may not recognize some of them require more time, energy, and talent to teach.

As a professional, I deserve to be compensated for this.

- Cajones

I taught a few thousand students, I've cared for a few thousand sick/injured people. The problem with tipping is that it ain't about serving cheeseburgers. It's about situations where people place their lives in your hands. The level of trust and respect they give us is ...immense.

Yeah, I know, it doesn't seem that way to you. There was a time when I sincerely held similar feelings. I even pretty much forced the DZO to raise my rates as chief instructor. I thought I deserved it for the time in grade and the outstanding job I did.

As an instructor and as an RN, I realize that the students/patients must trust and depend on us. Their most enthusiatic appreciation was frequently disproportionate to what we actually did. You can do a pretty much indifferent job as an instructor and most students will be absulutely and incredibly blown away by how wonderful you are.

You can't do that in nursing. I try to live up to that responsibility ...and I will not stand around with my hand out or (oh, how many DZ's have I seen were they make sure to spread the word that tips are appreciated). Dude, you have a most incredible job. You get paid for it at a rate you agreed to. Don't soak the students by capitalizing on their emotional response to a most incredible experience.

I have been offered some amazing 'tips' in my two decade careen as an ER/Trauma/ICU nurse. An offer of a couple hundred dollars is common, numerous trips and even a new Prelude from a local car dealer who wanted to express his gratitude for the compassion and consideration to his family. Did I go significantly above and beyond ...without a doubt. I did it because it was the human thing to do and it was my job. Despite our best efforts, his son died. He was rich, sincerely grateful and man, was that tempting. Aside from violating the ethics of my current profession, it's just wrong.

YMMV,

Michael

That's why tipping in german is called "giving drinking money"...B|

Did you mean beer :D or beaver btw?;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

numerous trips and even a new Prelude from a local car dealer who wanted to express his gratitude for the compassion and consideration to his family.

Wow, that takes balls to turn down something so extravagant.

I certainly respect your decision to turn it all down.

I guess whoring for tips really depends on how badly you need the cash.

Not many people can earn a living off any sport. There are these days between weekends....they're called weekdays...use 'em!

Tipping should be a personal choice. I mean, I feel that this is a scenario that would not necessitate a tip but if a client felt inclined then they should be allowed. I do not believe that a tip should be expected nor should it become the "norm". If you receive poor service from a restaurant, tipping is lowered or not given. Would you tip a cabby for taking you to the wrong address? So, if your tandem master goes to reserve, or an AFF student has a main malfunction, should your skydive be free? Well, the DZ will probably not refund your money, but a restaurant would. Poor service comes in many forms. Just buy your beer...that has alway been tip enough in the past.

I guess whoring for tips really depends on how badly you need the cash.

I do not consider accepting tips for excellent service "whoring."

Tipping should be a personal choice.

Definitely. Many students recognize their Instructors are more attentive than others. Many recognize some Instructors are more experienced and appreciate when you recognize anxiety levels and the sources of those anxieties.

I even pretty much forced the DZO to raise my rates as chief instructor. I thought I deserved it for the time in grade and the outstanding job I did.

That's great! Too bad that is not the standard in our industry. Even in nursing - where bedside manners are part of the teaching process - professionals who "go the above and beyond..." are part of a promotion process where they are compensated for this - with raises. It is not standard in our industry to compensate instructors with greater experience/skills with raises.

I'm sure there are skydivers lurking out there who have saved money because they had an experienced or insightful Instructor step in and prevent them from having to repeat student jumps. I've had students who recognize this and have shown their appreciation by saying so (to myself or my employers), offering me beer or other things.

I am also certain there are skydivers reading this who knew their anxiety levels were higher than other students around them - on tandems, on AFF, as static-line students, or other times. I am also certain they have seen Instructors who are "good with really nervous students."

Those Instructors should be cherished and appreciated.

Once again... Tips are not expected but always appreciated.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Hey Logan,

One of the reasons why I drop in to the website from time to time is because I often come across a newbie that sparks a lively debate - good on you!

I am British and completed my AFF (after a fashion) in the UK last summer. My AFF instructor is a military guy who has got all his students through (one way or the other). I can never repay him for the patience and determination he showed me, nor the survival habits he drummed in to me, like alti awareness, low turns, etc. etc. I wrote him and his wife a brief "thank you" note when I qualified and before coming out to the U.S., since I wanted him to know how much of a difference he made to me and my skydiving passion. I know that my words meant more to him than money ever could, and it is because of people like him that I am in this sport. I appreciate that tipping is just one way of showing one's gratitude, but that's what I think it should be - a token of someone's appreciation and not something to be expected. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd rather frame "thank you" letters on my wall than $20 bills that disappear in a flash.

Good luck logan and thanks for the post - it's been good reading what people have to say about this subject.

Dave.
My favourite saying is under construction...

IMO a tip is NEVER to be "expected". It's sure nice, and most instructors will just end up buying bear or some such, and sharing the wealth.

And what would the instructor do with said 'bear' once he bought him? :P;) :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

IMO a tip is NEVER to be "expected". It's sure nice, and most instructors will just end up buying bear or some such, and sharing the wealth.

And what would the instructor do with said 'bear' once he bought him? :P;) :D

Do with Bear? shame as sheep:P couldn't resist the chance either.;) Nice bear, nice bear, when the bear says no he/she means it.

R.I.P.

I've never recieved cash as a tip.

I've got a Cypres, a Bonehead mindwarp, a Pro Dytter, an Alti 2 and several free dives done with the people who've gifted me, usually by the time they have several 100 dives. I've accepted the gifts, and the friendships.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Damn, never thought I would ever be called a whore, well I take that back there once was this girl.......oh that is a nother story. Anyhow, tips are part of the industry, I have received a few, I don't ask and I do tend to be embarassed when I get them. I also share any tips I get with with the others involved in the jump, such as the camera person and pilot. But, you also have to understand that sometimes when a jumpmaster goes above and beyond the call of duty, and a tip is offered, the student/passenger is recognizing the fact that it was done. Let's get this straight ....Accepting tips is not a bad thing, expecting tips though is!
blue skies,

art