WrongWay

Caffeine kills skydiving performance?

Here's my "Deep Thoughts by WrongWay" moment of the day. B|

We all know how this wonderful substance can make you feel awake.....yet very edgy. Could massive intake of caffeine each day hinder your relaxation skills, and therefore make your relaxation in your flying more difficult??? :S

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

"We all know how this wonderful substance can make you feel awake.....yet very edgy."

Caffeine keeps the headaches away :)
I try to alternate - A) Diet Dew, B) Water, A) Diet Dew, B) Water. No headaches. Happy day of jumping.
Leave out A or B, headaches by mid afternoon.

I'm not medic but I believe like most bodily drugs too much caffine causes problems but a sensible amount can be beneficiary. Small levels of caffeine can increase your general awareness.

Personally I might have a few cups of Coffee but rarely do I drink anything stronger (like Red Bull)
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

sorry hon. i'm NOT quitting coffee. :P:D:)
think about that first load on a saturday or sunday without caffeine. i'd be asleep all the way to altitude. hmmm... that could be nice too. :o:P

but no... really.... you might be on to something. i think caffeine is pretty bad for you anyway. but you're right. it does make you all jittery if you have too much.

think about that first load on a saturday or sunday without caffeine. i'd be asleep all the way to altitude. hmmm... that could be nice too.

I sleep all the way to altitude anyway. . .until about my 3rd cup of coffee. . .lol! Something about the hum of the otter engines. . .lol
FGF #6
Darcy

Coffee is my best friend every morning and I know my co-workers like me better if I am cafeinated......heheheh. I (sip of coffee) work 10-12 hour days and couldn't make it through without at least 3-4 cups, okay maybe a pot.

;):DB|
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I like to have just enough caffeine to get me to a certain point, my peak, I'll do the best at that peak, too much and I going too hard and will screw up/be tense. Too little and I'm passed out in the plane and not into the dives enough.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Some shitty evidence to support your theory:

I failed two levels of AFF during that progression. Each time, my jumpmaster told me that I just needed to chill out and relax in freefall. Each time, I had swigged down a Red Bull before my jump. :)

So who knows...you may have something here.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

At my home dropzone the staff live on caffeine. It would appear from extensive personal research involving sleep deprivation that once your body gets used to caffeine, its intake actually relaxes you (even promotes sleep). It may be that your body comes to accept a caffeinated state as normal and 'enjoys' that state. Thus, if you already have a high intake of caffeine then its consumption may indeed promote relaxation.

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

It may be that your body comes to accept a caffeinated state as normal and 'enjoys' that state. Thus, if you already have a high intake of caffeine then its consumption may indeed promote relaxation.

Sounds like another addictive drug and a bad and expensive choice to make it as a personal habit. At least it doesn't make people's own and other clothes stink, just their breath.

(I'm that way with mexican and indian food)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Okay....I know I got hooked on coffee when I started to hang around skydivers 8 years ago. I also knew that coffee wasn't that good for you.

Your question prompted me to google....well, take a look. Caffeine really is bad ju-ju. Medically speaking. :|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Okay....I know I got hooked on coffee when I started to hang around skydivers 8 years ago. I also knew that coffee wasn't that good for you.

Your question prompted me to google....well, take a look. Caffeine really is bad ju-ju. Medically speaking. :|

ltdiver

Wow, checked that out. You're right. I'm gonna die. :D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Beyond a doubt.

Initially the adrenaline rush you get from caffeine will enhance performance. It's caused by the fight or flight reaction. That's also why they call it a Bronchodialator. After a sustained rush, and especially when you chase the high with even more caffiene the body just gets tired and performance will decrease tremendously.

It's tough to relax properly on the adrenaline rush created by caffeine.

Caffeine is terrible for the body in large doses. Thats even more true for women. I noticed a link is posted above so I'll go read some.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

ltdiver

Wow, checked that out. You're right. I'm gonna die. :D

Yeah, it sounds kind of funny, but a friend of mine almost died because of it. So, it's not out of the question.

ltdiver

At my home dropzone the staff live on caffeine. It would appear from extensive personal research involving sleep deprivation that once your body gets used to caffeine, its intake actually relaxes you (even promotes sleep). It may be that your body comes to accept a caffeinated state as normal and 'enjoys' that state. Thus, if you already have a high intake of caffeine then its consumption may indeed promote relaxation.

i agree with that 100% i have drank a lot of coffee for as long as i can remember i drink coffee and red bull a lot dureing the day and on a lot of occasions i can drink most of a pot of coffee at night and when i go to bed i am asleep withen 5 minutes it just seems like a normal state of being just my 2 cents worth
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

Here's my "Deep Thoughts by WrongWay" moment of the day. B|

We all know how this wonderful substance can make you feel awake.....yet very edgy. Could massive intake of caffeine each day hinder your relaxation skills, and therefore make your relaxation in your flying more difficult??? :S

Caffeine is a stimulant, which in general increases awareness and helps with physical ability. Regular use (couple cups of coffee a day) is beneficiary, helps you think more clearly, if you keep it up. Kinda like giving a recovering drug addict drugs every morning so they can think clearly. So on that part; coffee should help you think about your body position, and what you should be doing.

But caffeine isn't a strong stimulant; think it’s only a 4 on the Richter scale. So to get twitchy and strung out like a recovering smack addict, you just might have to hook a coffee maker up to an IV and run it intravenously. Hehe, and after I'm sure you could get the high score on the blood pressure machine at the local pharmacy
:D

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Beyond a doubt.

Initially the adrenaline rush you get from caffeine will enhance performance. It's caused by the fight or flight reaction. That's also why they call it a Bronchodialator. After a sustained rush, and especially when you chase the high with even more caffiene the body just gets tired and performance will decrease tremendously.

It's tough to relax properly on the adrenaline rush created by caffeine.

Caffeine is terrible for the body in large doses. Thats even more true for women. I noticed a link is posted above so I'll go read some.

The drop in performance isn't that great relative to the boost it gives you. If you were to go cold turkey, you usually just become a grinch to be around, tired, and any number of things that can happen when you go through withdrawal. But that wouldn't show up for some time.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

You have a good general point. At the one point in my life where I was a finely tuned machine I could notice the ill effects on my concentration and other mental skills caused by one too many cups of coffee or even a single cigarette. That is when I was a finely tuned machine…now well it’s a different story. Between my crack habit (just joking people), drinking (lot’s of FIRSTS going on), eating DZ food, and with my workouts being para-hiking (from a long landing) and drinking coffee like a demon how bad can it really be? It’s just so much chemical background noise. In fact I’m pretty sure I would not have a pulse if it weren’t for a mega dose of caffeine each morning. Maybe if I were on Airspeed or something it would be an issue but my skydiving? Trust me it’s not going to mater.
Seriously you do have a point but I just don’t think it’s an issue unless someone is way, way overdosed on caffeine.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Caffeine is a stimulant, which in general increases awareness and helps with physical ability. Regular use (couple cups of coffee a day) is beneficiary, helps you think more clearly, if you keep it up.

So is getting a good night's sleep...:P ;)

ltdiver