blueskyserenity

How do I train my body to fly flat?

My body is still in hard arch mode. I'm working on flying relative and docking with not much luck. I've been told I need to fly flat. How do I do that? Video would help, I know. What exercises or ground training can I do to 'teach' my body to fly flat. Focus on de-archingin freefall maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

The video "Kinesthesia" is perfect for this stage. I watched it right off student status and learned tons about good RW body position. Ask around your DZ, as there is a good chance someone already has it.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

First and foremost: Relax :P

How do you expect to fly your body when it's locked into hard arch? You can't. Since you're able to walk up straight (save assumption, I guess :$) your body doesn't really need training, your mind does.
Take a moment to ask yourself how you really feel on a jump. Excited, for sure, but what are your worries? Stability, altitude awareness, opening? When do you feel this, on the ground, before exit, in freefall? Confront these worries, learn to handle them, this will relax your mind. Then you can turn your attention to flying your body.
Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done

That's just it, when I relax I arch more b/c I'm very flexible. I've jumped w/ experienced jumpers and their comment was, "I've never seen anyone arch that much. Your feet were straight above you." :S My body was completely relaxed, or so I thought. I think you're definatley right about relaxing my mind though, thanks!
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

I feel your pain. I was a smoking rocket arch my first 100 jumps or so. It's all about relaxing. The drill dive explained above where you go out and practice flying relative no contact with another jumper is a great way to get started. This drill dive will get you thinking about what you're actually doing with your arch.

Most of all....relax. This is fun!!

Good luck, you'll get it.

Hey bluesky, I jumped with a guy just off of aff this weekend that is having the same problem, we now call him meatbomb.:D We worked on a drill dive like someone else said and i was ahnging with him on my belly up to about 131, my friend (another coach) was sitflying right with us:D Meat bomb relaxed and flew flatter and we docked, after breaking that i backed up so he could fly in for another and he got excited and arched his ass off again. But he felt what it was like so he has a frame of reference now.B|

It's easy, don't arch!

Damn Conway, seems like i have heard you say that before.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Also, keep in mind that you don't want to fly totally flat. I fall really fast naturally, so through my AFF training I was trying to fly as flat as I could to slow down a bit. Then I went to the tunnel and I was all over the place, couldn't stay stable for over 6 minutes in there. I was flying too flat. The arch gives you more stability, less chipping, etc. You need that right now especially. So, try not to think of it so much as "flat," but just as less arch. Good luck!

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

That's just it, when I relax I arch more b/c I'm very flexible. I've jumped w/ experienced jumpers and their comment was, "I've never seen anyone arch that much. Your feet were straight above you." :S
I had the same problem. Knees were locked when I failed level 3 because i didn't respond to legs out sign. I looked like the letter "U" with my knees locked. Too flexible. Had the same comment . "Never saw a guy that could arch that hard." Aff guy.... "Ummm we don't have a sign for de arch" Yep just don't try to arch. Suck in the gut if ya have to ( i do or i'm going low sometimes)
A way to be aware of your arch is to float on an air mattress or simular on the water. Deflate it enough to be flexible. Feel what flat floating is like. But the wind tunnel seems like a great idea too.

A way to be aware of your arch is to float on an air mattress or simular on the water. Deflate it enough to be flexible. Feel what flat floating is like. But the wind tunnel seems like a great idea too.

Maybe I could practice this on a float in the pool this weekend!;):P

All great tips. Thanks everyone!!

How do you train your body to fly flat?

Freefly every jump, and then at about 4,500ft, cork out into a deployment position, and belly fly for a couple thousand feet...

Hope this helps,
P
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

I'm jealous [:/] I'm working like crazy to get my knees higher than my hips (mantis position). I hope its just a matter of stretching out my hip flexors rather than being a matter of my bone structure. All the stretching and practice arches are beginning to turn my great new passion into work.

Cheers,

Cyber

Whoops, is my ignorance showing again?