Layton

hook knife

i have a hook knife on my chest strap.my question is would we really have time to use it if we needed to?anybody used one on a skydive?im not talking crew dogs.regular jump.***if you are standing on the edge ya might as well jump

There's a video of Tom Aiello kicking around using one after getting a line over from a BASE jump - if he can do it from that, I reckon there's probably time to use it after pulling at 3 grand! ;) Just don't drop it! :ph34r:

If its one of the plastic ones, throw it away and get a metal one, the plastic becomes brittle over time and will break under stress.

oh....yep you will probably have time to use it if you need it.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

2 weekends ago at SDC a guy making his 2nd Birdman jump had a PC in tow. He pulled silver in accordance with USPA recommendations, and as soon as the reserve came out, so did his main D-bag. The main's lines wrapped around his foot while the main deployed into line twists. He unwrapped his foot, and the main flew into a side by side with the reserve, but still had twists right down to the risers. Apparently the main was unstable in the side by side-by-side and then went into a downplane, tangling its twisted risers with the reserve risers. He decided to cut it away with his hook knife because he wasn't sure what would happen if he pulled the cutaway handle.

1. Good job he deployed high
2. He's a priest, so he may have had help from above (or it may have been a message from above).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

isn't the proper procedure to pull Red before pulling Silver?

That is not at all agreed to be the proper procedure.

Here's a link to the PD and army study of 2 out scenarios.
It is arguable how it applies to different sized or smaller, high performance canopies, but it is a starting point for real knowledge rather than conjecture.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/dualsq.pdf
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

isn't the proper procedure to pull Red before pulling Silver?

That is not at all agreed to be the proper procedure.

Here's a link to the PD and army study of 2 out scenarios.
It is arguable how it applies to different sized or smaller, high performance canopies, but it is a starting point for real knowledge rather than conjecture.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/dualsq.pdf

As I read his post you are missing the point. It's not what happened after the 2 out like the army study addresses but the fact that with a PC in tow he did not cut away. I was taught that with ANYTHING out you cut away before going to your reserve just because you run the risk of having an intanglement or 2 out otherwise.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

As I read his post you are missing the point. It's not what happened after the 2 out like the army study addresses but the fact that with a PC in tow he did not cut away. I was taught that with ANYTHING out you cut away before going to your reserve just because you run the risk of having an intanglement or 2 out otherwise.

The later PD study did address the simultaneous/near simultaneous deployment scenario.

Make no mistake, you risk an entanglement in either procedure, 2 out scenarios are easy to handle.

A good thread on this subject:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=597809;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the proper procedure to pull Red before pulling Silver? If he had done that, maybe there wouldn't have been such a mess at hand...who knows....it's what I've learned, anyway.

Read the SIM.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i have a hook knife on my chest strap.my question is would we really have time to use it if we needed to?anybody used one on a skydive?im not talking crew dogs.regular jump.***if you are standing on the edge ya might as well jump

Without getting into the eternal debate about EPs in a PC in tow situation, hook knives can only HELP you. I personally know of a fatality that could have been avoided if the jumper had a hook knife (premature opening with bridle wrapped around the jumper's leg prevented cutaway with main/reserve entanglement). I also know a jumper who cleared a line over on a reserve by cutting the brake line with a hook knife.

The sim details going straight for silver without cutting away but states under the heading:

Note: Some schools teach partial malfunction procedures as an alternative to the following procedures for when the parachute has been activated but has failed to deploy.

The partial mal procedures include cutting away first.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the proper procedure to pull Red before pulling Silver? If he had done that, maybe there wouldn't have been such a mess at hand...who knows....it's what I've learned, anyway.

Read the SIM.

I only took a cursory look at the SIM (as I can’t spend ALL day surfing skydiving web sites at work) but here is what I get.

SIM 4,B,C,5,b If the pilot chute can’t be located after two tries or if deploying the pilot chute results in a partial malfunction, cut away and deploy the reserve.

I’d love someone to quote me the section saying on a partial mal, specifically a PC in tow, that you don’t cutaway. The only case I can think of that this makes sense is below 1,000 when you just have to have something anything above you and don’t have time to cutaway.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Section 5-1E

3. All malfunctions can be classified as one of two types:

a. total malfunction (parachute not activated, or activated but not deploying):

(1) A total malfunction includes deployment handle problems (unable to locate or extract the main parachute deployment handle), pack closure, and a pilot chute in tow.

(2) If altitude permits, the jumper should make no more than two attempts to solve the problem (or a total of no more than two additional seconds).

procedures:

(1) In the case of no main pilot chute deployment (e.g., missing or stuck handle, ripcord system container lock), deploy the reserve.

(2) hand-deployed pilot chute in tow

malfunction procedures (choose one):

(i) For a pilot-chute-in-tow malfunction, there are currently two common and acceptable procedures, both of which have pros and cons.

(ii) An instructor should be consulted prior to gearing up, and each skydiver should have a pre-determined course of action.

Pilot chute in tow procedure 1:
Pull the reserve immediately. A pilot-chute-in-tow malfunctions is associated with a high descent rate and requires immediate action. The chance of a main-reserve entanglement is slim, and valuable time and altitude could be lost by initiating a cutaway prior to deploying the reserve. Be prepared to cutaway.

Pilot chute in tow procedure 2:
Cut away, then immediately deploy the reserve. Because there is a chance the main parachute could deploy during or as a result of the reserve activation, a cutaway might be the best response in some situations.