neily

Combination of Skydiving and paragliding?

I'm still a newbie at skydiving and love both the freefall and canopy ride. I've also been looking into paragliding as well.
I've been thinking , (:S ouch ),
would it be possible to jump, freefall and then deploy a canopy that would/could be used to ride the themals and enjoy a good long canopy ride. How ace would that be..
Just a thought..

Years ago I saw a Discovery Channel show about a French guy who developed a paraglider/parachute that could be deployed in freefall.

If you want a long canopy ride, get a big student canopy, or a Mil-surplus HAHO/HALO canopy, or even a tandem rig.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I saw an experienced paraglider getting ridge lift to climb above the exit point on a cliff jump in Norway last summer. I don't think it's that farfetched to imagine jumping somewhere that the terrain allowed sufficient ridge lift to stay aloft a _long_ time. You'd just need an oversized, highly efficient skydiving canopy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Years ago I saw a Discovery Channel show about a French guy who developed a paraglider/parachute that could be deployed in freefall.

If you want a long canopy ride, get a big student canopy, or a Mil-surplus HAHO/HALO canopy, or even a tandem rig.

I saw that, it was specically designed and lazer cut but I'm sure he said it took him a few days to pack it.

Cheers guys,

To follow on from this, is there a maximum canopy size/wingloading restriction? Obviously the smaller canopy is classed as high performance. When would a canopy thats "too" big become a problem for the pilot, I'm thinking about skydiving canopies and not paragliding ones. I know there would be issues having a canopy floating around all day at the DZ, what other issues could there be.

I paraglide and skydive and the problem I see is that the harness/legstraps would be extremely uncomfortable in no time at all. Paragliding started as a sport when skydiving canopies were used to fly off hills. I flew a large student one during my paragliding training and I have heard of people soaring on them. But to get any real gliding performance the aspect ratio needs to be in excess of 4:1 and I doubt it would be possible to guarentee an opening without a cravat or other serious mal. So saying that plenty of "acro" paraglider pilots have launched from helicopters and balloons (even bridges) so sub terminal may be possible. A paraglider is rated for 8G (snatch force) but I personally would not like to put it to the test.

The French were developing such a beast for military applications ... standoff HAHO operations. They had two sizes and were jumping at least one of them last I remember. They gave a presentation at the PIA symposium in hmmmm 2001 I think.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I paraglide and skydive and the problem I see is that the harness/legstraps would be extremely uncomfortable in no time at all. Paragliding started as a sport when skydiving canopies were used to fly off hills.

Old military harnesses and early sport harnesses were made with a solid saddle. One peice of webbing formed the risers and ran down under your butt. The leg straps just held you in the swing. My first harness, a Crossbow has a semi solid seat. The leg straps look a lot like today's but there is another peice of webbing between the two. You can hoist your self up and sit on the harness. While paragliding harnesses are much different this isn't the major issue to solve. Deployment at terminal is the issue.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I saw an experienced paraglider getting ridge lift to climb above the exit point on a cliff jump in Norway last summer.

Dude thats SICK!!! Got video? B|

Could you imagine that? "Whooooosh.....whap!!..............hey guys, who's next? B|"

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Its not about a long canopy ride. Its about a fun one.
paragliders are high performance and can go UP

they are just big ass barges. There is a big difference.

oh BTW, I don't know your weight, but a LOW wingloading might help. In good thermal weather conditions, you can stay flying quite a nice time... Beware, freefall canopies react differently with a low WL...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM